1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Extend McHale and Give Him a Pay Raise Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets extend McHale's contract and give him a substantial pay raise?

1. Yes

43.7%
  2. No

56.3%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is why we wait until the playoffs. Smh

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I stick by this.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I voted yes right now for ****s and giggles.

Pathetic crap from Morey and Les.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is McHale really the problem with the team or is he, like most coaches are, a convenient scapegoat for fans? There are more "fire McHale" threads popping up of late than any other type of blame-assigning threads, but I kind of doubt that a different coach could have come up with the tactical changes to beat a clearly superior Clippers team.

I am not against replacing McHale if we have a better coach lined up. But would replacing McHale really have won the series? I can see the coach and his tactical acumen being blamed if the games are close, and a few good plays drawn up or a smart substitution would have made the difference.

In this series, though? The Rockets tried quite a few different things-- defending the pick and roll several different ways, getting Howard the ball more, trying to free Harden up off the ball, hacking Jordan, not hacking Jordan, playing some of the deeper bench guys some minutes. None of it worked. The Clippers are just better than the Rockets.

Sure, replace McHale if you find someone better. It's not my money going to paying for coaches. But don't be under the illusion that doing so is all that is needed to make the Rockets a real contender on par with the better teams.

5. SemisolidSnake

Yes, he is a major part of the problem. If the players are completely to blame, why even have a coach? The coach is a manager; the players are employees. The manager's job is to make the team perform and get things done. Now, no manager understands what having bad employees can do to your team better than I do, but these guys all have NBA-level talent in different places, and it's all being misdirected, and the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Most of them are young, and they need a game plan, direction for individual improvement, and consequences for poor play. It may be the whole coaching staff that's at fault. It may just be McHale. It may be Morey's system. But the team is playing well below its level, and play like we've seen in this Clippers series is downright revolting. The coaching staff needs to get the most out of their players or they need to go somewhere else.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

When I can predict the bread and butter out-of-timeout play 9 out of 10 times, then I'd say he's not so good. The same goes for seeing how their D is set. I'm far from a hoops genius, and even I can observe that he's tactically outmatched. We won't know the next Kerr or coach Bud until they actually try to mix it up. It takes a whole year to teach a team disciplined defense that is able to switch up different styles and different coverages without missing a beat. This team struggles to execute properly the same defensive scheme 2 possessions in a row. That is why you see the Clips run the freaking same play 4 times in a row or more. That crap didn't happen in the Spurs series. Both teams were constantly changing, switching into zones, changing up defenders, fronting, hedging, playing straight up behind...it was a great series to watch. Now, we're watching toddler level NBA defense in comparison.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the clips are not 30pts better than the rockets talent-wise. especially with a gimpy chris paul. our rockets have fundamental structural problems with the offensive system and defending the p'n'r. they have had effort problems repeatedly. they have been deathly slow making adjustments 3 playoff seasons in a row now. mchale is the only constant here the past 4 season-ending epic meltdowns.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Who told you that the rockets have to win the series? The rockers made the playoff history by outscoring 25 points in two games, in last two games, the games were over in the third q. The rockets fans are not stupid, they know what is going on right now.

9. Carl Herrera

Extend McHale again and double his pay!

10. adobo

adobo Member

McHale just earned his pay packet in that one game.....a lot of ppl needs to eat crow...

I have not said a thing bad about this coach all season

11. Carl Herrera

Excellent coaching by coach. Coach out-coached the Clippers' coach.