1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Evan Mobley as a Cleveland Cavaliers thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 29, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'd say the guy who finished 3rd in DPOY, first team all defense is more than "slightly better on defense' than the guy who never got a single vote for either?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Feel sorry for the guy. That was a very awkward landing.

BamBam likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't put a lot of stock in those award votings. A big part of them is by reputation/narrative.

Anyway, Jabari's defense wasn't very good his rookie year. He has improved a lot in his second season and moved much closer to Mobley's level. And the team defense Jabari played in in his rookie season compared to his second year team and Mobley's Cleveland team is like homeless shelter compared to multi-million dollar mansion.

roslolian and YOLO like this.
  4. SamFisher

It's not like Evan Mobley just lucked onto the all defensive voting due to "reputation/narrative" - he crushed it last year on defensive stats (both traditional and advanced) for one of the league's elite defenses.

More importantly, just eye test wise he's a disruptive defender who can guard the perimeter AND provide rim protection AND is an elite defensive rebounder - he's just in a class that Jabari Smith is not in and frankly doesn't have the athleticsm to ever be in on defense. I'm no scout, but Smith just isn't quick enough to recover and switch and chagne directions the way the truly elite defenders like Draymond, Mobley, JJ Junior do, and doesn't have the leaping ability some of them possess to disrupt shots out of nowhere.

You can certainly rely on Jabari Smith to play hard on defense and not lose you too many points, but you can't build oen around him the way you could with Mobley.

"Slightly better" is a very Rocket-centric take and isn't really creible to a neutral. I know there's some people here for whom burnishing Mobley is important due to their self-perceived draftnik reputations and arguments dating back to 2021 - I do not know **** about drafting players, so that's not me.

Anywya, even though Wemby has a lock on DPOY for the next 10 years, Mobley's is likely to continue getting awards and accolades that Smith is unlikely to ever get in the conversation for - and there's substance behind it, not just hype.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The former MoF now a WoF lol. No hesitation to dump on a Rockets player to bump up his idol.

Funny how the eye test applies except to Wemby who automatically became better than the MVP before playing his first NBA game.

#806 roslolian, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[DOY]

10. SamFisher

I listened to this whole podcast yesterday.

I don't understand why ESPN has Tim Bontemps on, the guy is just a professional hater. Hated the Rockets, hated Harden, hates Jalen Green, he just seems to hate basically every player and team in the league and disparages them. I don't get the appeal at all.

#811 SamFisher, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  11. Buck Turgidson

Laissez les Tim Bontemps rouler, Sam.

12. SamFisher

"New Orleans is a dump and beignets are overpriced donut holes" - (in nasally Tim Bontemps grouch voice)

13. Buck Turgidson

It is quite the ironic last name he has.

SamFisher likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mr. Good Times.

15. MystikArkitect

A beta tweener center that can't shoot and can't defend bigger centers. That's what Mobley is. Weakside shot blocker that pumps up his stats by having Jarrett "Training Wheels" Allen next to him all the time. People here are up in arms about Jabari's development but I'm taking him 10/10 times vs Evan Mobley who's just useless Jabari Smith.

16. SamFisher

The cavaliers intentionally stagger the minutes of Mobley and Allen for spacing reasons on offense, but sure ok man! o_O

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mobley's ass just too high SMH.

SamFisher likes this.