1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Divisional Playoff: Texans @ Ravens

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 9, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

42 states on SportsNation picked the Bengals to win last week (59% overall). How much did that mean?

2. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I think we'll be alright. Win or Lose, I'm a proud fan. With that being said:

Texans-28
    Bengals-10

3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I just went and visited one of the Ravens fan forums. I understand why they would pick their team to win, they are the favorite, however it's laughable reading how wrong some of their fans are in accessing the Texans.
    It's clear that the only Texan game they saw this year, was when they played us. I know TJ Yates is not Drew Brees, but the guy can throw, just a little inaccurate. He did have a 40 yard td pass mmkay Raven fans. It's not his fault his coach keeps him on a leash. We are a running team, always have been even with Schaub playing.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm... yes it is.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Can you elaborate more on what you guys talked about? Where did you run into him? It's always cool when players are willing to talk to fans about the team, and the upcoming games, and whatnot. I understand that it's their downtime, and for the most part, we as people wouldn't want to have complete strangers coming up to us asking us questions about our jobs. However, as a professional athlete (and a member of a team that's taken the city by storm), I bet it must feel pretty cool to have people all over town coming up to you and telling you how much they love you, and how proud they are of you.

6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Umm no it's not. Last time I checked the coach calls the play. Yates poor passing is way overblown. We have the best running back tandem in the league. Unless we start losing big, there is no need to go all Brett Farve out there.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It blows my mind how confident they are simply based on the Week 6 game.

They're the favorite, certainly. But the 29 points were an aberration. Flacco played an unbelievable game that day. Forget the QB rating, which is too dependent on TD/INT ratio. He took a beating, yet threw in deep balls with the accuracy of Peyton Manning in his prime. He had two 50+ yard passes (60 or more in the air) to Smith and Boldin that could've been dropped in a bucket.

The reason this game is tough to predict is that much of it is out of the Texans' hands. I thought the defense mostly did what it wanted to the first time around. They got immense pressure on Flacco with regularity and stuffed the run for the first three quarters. He simply made some incredible throws under duress that got the Ravens points and kept them in it. The late-game story, of course, was that when close... the Houston offense just couldn't stay on the field (no Andre meant no separation for receivers), and the defense finally wore down against the run.

The story of the game, to me, was how ridiculously accurate Flacco was on his deep balls, even while pressured. If he does that again, the Texans have no chance, and I'm the first to admit it. However, his season-long performance indicates that a repeat performance is unlikely. I think it's quite misleading for the Ravens to look at their performance that day as a baseline...

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I just bristle at the context. Great running attack or not, he'd absolutely have Yates on a leash: he's not appreciably good.

9. Relentless

Relentless Member

Whoa there. Lol

Texans-31
    Bengals-10

Texans-24
    Ravens-21

TJ and AJ set up the game winning field goal with a 40 yd hookup

10. today

today Contributing Member

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

12. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Ravens-10 :) :eek:

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

31-10 was better

14. Raven

Raven Member

If the Texans beat the Ravens, all bets are off. If they can beat Baltimore on the road, they can beat anyone.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's yates fault in that he doesn't read the field that great and he is inconsistent in his accuracy. You're right, the texans would still be running the ball with Schaub, but the playbook would be fully opened for passing situations. It's just more risky to call a pass play with yates over schaub so the plays called for yates have to be toned down and simplified.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ravens defense is good but not great. We will contain ray rice and force 2 turnovers by Flacco

Texans 23
    Ravens 20

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Can't wait. I won't be disappointed if we lose but damn I really can not wait for this game. Go Texans!!!!

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Nobody is arguing if he is on a leash, he absolutely is. I just think people are making way too big of a deal about his passing. He is inaccurate, but it's not like he is some junior varsity team player who can't throw a 10 yard spiral. There is a reason he was drafted and is playing over veterans we have.

19. Apps

Apps Member

I don't actually know what the statistics are, but don't teams that lose in the regular season against a certain opponent only to get a rematch in the playoffs usually have a higher success rate? That always seemed to be the pattern in the Ravens-Steelers matchups at least.

As an aside, I had an absolutely dreadful nightmare last night about the Texans losing to the Raiders in the playoffs, 30-24. I even remember clips of the action my brain made up for me.

20. msn

msn Member

worked for the Bengals, too. oh wait nvm :grin: