1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cowher Watch (and other Coaches)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Welcome to Houston, Mike! The job of defensive coordinator is yours! :grin:

2. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't see Cowher going to Dallas, Cowher want's to get paid and control the team by himself, I don't see Cowher working for jones.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to see Bob McNair make a comment about this team now...

You can be 9-7. 8-8, or hell, possibly even 7-9 and headed in the right direction. At 5-11 and 4 games worse than you were last year (presumably after next week), and just having lost to a 3-win team (letting a rookie quarterback, who isn't supposed to be able to throw the ball, throw for 300+), Bob, you're definitely not headed in the right direction.

Something is wrong with this franchise. It's part talent-evaluation, part coaching, and a big part delusional owner.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

fwiw: Over from TexansTalk: (Was anyone listening to 1560 this morning? Anyone hear this or can possibly elaborate further?)

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only started listening around 7:30 when LZ was talking bowl games with John Harris.

I looked up Carthon, he's a Parcells guy a la Sporano and is an offensive guy. I would imagine that means that we'd be bringing in a Parcells guy on defense and a switch to the Parcells 3-4.

Interesting note, Cushing, a NJ boy, wears 56 in honor of LT, a 3-4 OLB for Parcells.

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Breaker

Breaker Member

Yea, that was me.

Here's a follow-up post that gave some insight on the HC career of Parcells former assistants:

Dug some info on the dude:
    His recent failure as OC in Cleveland is discouraging ("Mo's Gotta Go" movement? wish our fans were that dedicated and came up with clever phrase linked to displeasure with the team's staff), however the fact that Parcells like the guy enough to let him follow him from one coaching destinations to another is something to be encouraged about. It means two things: One, Bill must see something special in him to mentor him. Two, after years and years of knowing the guy, if Parcells would offer him a HC gig, than he must feel that he's ready to be a leader of a NFL team. Here's a entire coaching tree of Parcells that went on to become a NFL HC, and what their position they coached while under Parcells:

Parcells previous assistant's accumulated records: 465-392

It looks like his offensive guys did real well in their first seasons, and had their team achieving a winning/playoffs season in their first or second year in their team. What scares me about this rumor is that Maurice is going to be a first-timer at HC, which historically shown (as a Parcells offspring) that it won't end well. We need stability and success to fuse together for once; we can't keep hiring a coach just to fire him 4, or so, years later; even if one of those coach went to the playoffs once out of that 4/5 years.

That's why I'm hoping Cowher is the next guy at the throne. He's the guy that gives us the best chance at having stability in the FO, as well as giving us wins, playoffs appearance, and making us contenders. *Oh, and if you don't know who's been Cowher's QB during his tenure as the Steelers HC, you guys should go check it out. After that, imagine what he could accomplish with Schaub and this offense.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks for that info. Yeah, Parcells sounds nice as coming in to a role like he had in Miami but I'm not so sure on Carthon for HC

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle predicts that the Texans' entire coaching staff will be fired at season's end.
    McClain believes that the Texans' collapse to a Tim Tebow-led team after a 17-0 first-half lead will prove the straw that breaks Gary Kubiak's back. Kubiak is 36-43 without a playoff appearance in five seasons with Houston. He's obviously turned around the offense since the days of David Carr and Wali Lundy, but the Texans' penchant for late-game implosions and Kubiak's allegiance to defensive coordinator Frank Bush may seal his fate.

_____

This is probably posted already or is in another thread, but interesting comment from McClain posted on Rotoworld.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Has Jim Harbaugh at Stanford been mentioned?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not to Houston but has been mentioned. A hot name. Some say/think he's going to Michigan, others speculate on Luck/Harbaugh package to Carolina, now 49ers speculation. His name is out there, just not connected to Houston

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't afford another swing and miss. This city and these fans are (probably) not going to suffer through another coach who needs OJT. The next hire needs to have impeccable credentials, IMO.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd give Parcells all the power... hell, give him the keys to Reliant Stadium as well as final say on whether or not the roof is open as well.

At this point I'd do it just to have a clear organizational structure, where you know who is in charge and its a guy who has a proven track record. Also, I like the fact that he can run the team, but doesn't have to worry about being the coach as well. Kubiak clearly wasn't able to do both.

The only red flag is how his tenure ended in Miami. Did he get burned out? Bored? Both? Why would he have left that job, only to take over a similiar situation here?

14. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I just watched "Reflections on a Life in Football" on NFL Network last night. It is about Bill Parcells. It gives insight into how he thinks. He would change this team a great deal, which could be good for the most part. He wants big offensive linemen so we would be starting over in that area. He has had less success at each stop on his league tour, but still always gets them to the playoffs. I'm not sure how I would feel about this.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I am 100% against Bill Parcells coming here. After the Giants, he has flamed out at every single stop he had. The man simply does not have the attention span, or the dedication to see this franchise to where it needs to get. He would be adamant on bringing in his personal experiment, Maurice Carthon, to be the coach, and I don't want another first-time head coach here. We need experience and leadership at that position, and his track record HARDLY does anything to assuage my skepticism. While Parcells might still have the gumption to try and turn around this team, I don't want our team to be a two-year footnote in his career much like the Dolphins were. He could easily pull a Larry Brown and bail on the team if he's not getting the results he wants, and simply walk away knowing that his career legacy is untarnished. For me, it's really Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, or a Brian Billick/John Fox combination that this team absolutely needs.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Definitely not a fan of Parcells coming here. He'll be here a few seasons before he bounces.

Cowher will be here long term.

We need stability.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I hope he leaves Stanford and doesn't go to Michigan. He's a hell of a coach.

/NotreDame

18. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

He got to be better than Bush, just dotrn give him the head coaching job

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

By all accounts, Mike Singletary has ZERO understanding of X's and O's. He's a hell of a motivator when all the chips are in the right place, but when it comes down to actually coaching a team/player on positioning, and scheming, he's awful. Until he gets better at that aspect of football, I don't really want him on the Texans. And, I bet if you asked the 49ers players what they thought of him (off the record), not many of them would have great things to say about him. He throws players under the bus, he causes scenes, and he airs out the team's dirty laundry in public. Frank Bush is a lot of BAD things, but one thing he DOES have is the players' respect and support.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Flamed out is a bit harsh. He got the Patriots to a Super Bowl, the Jets to a conference championship, and turned around a Cowboys team mired in mediocrity (much like we are), and made them into a playoff team again (and it was 'his' team that Wade Phillips had tons of success with).

If he's able to get more out of the current regime, along with rebuilding the foundation for the next regime, that's really all they need out of him. They don't need him to be here for 10 years... but they do need somebody established to oversee the restructuring NOW.

The reason why I wouldn't be opposed to Parcells (despite what has happened in Miami) is because he's turned around franchises before, on more than one occasion. The coaches you mentioned above neither have the track record, or the repeated success of rebuilding teams. Cowher would be the no-brainer guy to give it a shot as well, but who says that he's going to last here for the long-haul either? He's obviously enjoyed his TV stint, and his family situation has wieghed on him big-time. He's also never taken over a team before... not that I doubt his ability to do so.