1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cowher Watch (and other Coaches)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 22, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bottom line Bob isn't going to eat Kubiak's salary... Denver will have to volunteer to take our sloppy seconds.

2. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He's a businessman first and a sports fan second.

Can't really blame him for not wanting to flush several million dollars down the toilet.

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

"And I, for one, welcome our new Cowher overlords"

[​IMG]

4. Raven

Raven Member

The Chronic seems to be changing their tone. Perhaps they've gotten some indication that Uncle Bob has woken up and figured out that bringing back Kubiak is not the wisest choice.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that there are actually people here who would be fine with keeping Kubiak around UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

Head coaches should be judged on wins and losses alone. Nothing else. I don't care that the offense pads it's passing stats after falling behind at halftime every game.

It's unbelievable to me that keeping a coach whose team goes through a 1-7 stretch in the middle of a season in which playoffs were the expectation could even be discussed. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something.

6. Major

Major Member

Only if he's a bad businessman. If he's forward-looking at all, he'll realize that he'll make more money by paying for Cowher.

Looking at his history, where is the evidence that he's (a) a bad businessman or (b) cheap?

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Or McNair may finally be getting the message that the Texans fans funding the operation are sick of playing dumb sheep and, unlike him, expect results for their money.

8. msn

msn Member

THIS.

Our vaunted offense's performance this year is fool's gold. When defenses play them tough, they're near the bottom of the league. When defense go into softer "don't give up the big play" coverage (once they're enjoying their 3-touchdown lead) we look like Joe Montana and the original WCO.

Horseradish. Keep some of the players, throw the rest of the cowcrap out and start over.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but as the situation stands, I think that those steps in my original post will have to be taken for a coaching change to happen.

1) CBA worked out

2) Kubiak "trade" worked out

3) Cowher ready and willing to sign

It would be a bad business decision to eat Kubiak's salary and get nothing in return for him, IMO, especially if Denver wants him, and even moreso if the CBA isn't worked out and Cowher isn't standing in your office ready to sign papers.

I wouldn't say Bob is "cheap" or a "bad" businessman by any mean. But what he is... is loyal and conservative/cautious. Cowher isn't a guaranteed homerun. The only thing that would be guaranteed in your scenario is Bob eating Kubiak/Smith's salaries for two years. In my scenario, it becomes a smarter business decision for Bob. Which, since I give him all the credit in the world for being smart, I assume he will try to do 1st before anything else.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I beg to differ, with this statement alone, although I see your points. Cowher is about as close to a homerun as you'll ever get when you hire a football coach. The only other coach that is active that I would dare to say that would be more of a homerun would be (and I HATE to say it) Bill Bellichick(sp?). He's not going anywhere any time soon.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think this thread should also be used to keep track of Miami and NY, since (apparently) they are our main competition for Cower.

Like Major said, I just can't see the Giants firing Coughlin. So we should be pulling for Miami to win out, which would hopefully make their owner more reluctant to fire Sparano.

Miami finishes with the Lions at home and the Pats on the road. Hopefully they can take care of Detroit despite their pathetic home record, then NE will hopefully have everything wrapped up when they visit them the next week.

So basically, we should pull for NE and MIA to win this weekend, then for MIA to win again next weekend over a NE team resting it's starters in a meaningless game.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Miami has experience with luring a Superbowl winning coach out of the TV studio (Jimmy Johnson) and it didn't go so well for them. Maybe they are reluctant to try it again with Cower?

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Plenty of coaches fail in their second and third jobs.

The only thing guaranteed for Bob McNair is losing a bunch of money unless what happens in my original post goes down.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Please give examples of very successful coaches (as in not a SB but a lot of mediocre or bad seasons) who failed in second stints to justify this "plenty" term.

Unless failure=Did not win Superbowl, I can think of plenty of successful coaches who went on to be successful in their next stop.

Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Martball, Dan Reeves (wasn't great after Denver but did get to another title game), Mike Holmgren, heck even Jimmy Johnson was above .500 in Miami despite being called a failure.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I guess my point being that Kubiak has already been deemed a failure in Houston, and fans want him booted. I think maybe you can talk the Broncos into a buyout of Kubiak (which is the one point you made that I think is valid).

Otherwise, in my opinion, once Kubiak is gone, any coach you bring in stands a high chance of failure, with this team. In my opinion, though, Cowher probably has the least chance of failure, and the greatest chance of longevity of any coach out there. Also, he has the greatest chance, also in my opinion, of luring in bigger-name free agents, re-energizing the fan base, and ultimately, making McNair the most money of any coach out there.

Like someone else said, even if Kubiak is fired, the media attention, national television coverage, possible free agents, and possible playoff appearances, should dwarf the money that we pay to Kubiak. That being said, not all that is a guarantee, but I guarantee that in 2-3 seasons under Cowher(at least...probably more like 4 or 5 minimum, given McNair's tack record), you'd make enough to pay back what you let Kubiak walk with. If we signed Bill Cowher as head coach, I think we get a minimum of 3 nationally televised night games. (Presumably with a big Monday Night showdown when we play the Steelers)

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

A co-worker sent this to me...I found it rather interesting and hope that one day, we can talk about how kick-ass genius the brass with the Texans are for pulling off deals like this...

(Pulled from... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nberg/12/20/year.end/index.html#ixzz18s0X4u4n
    )

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

All of these coaches were either successful, or VERY successful at their first coaching gigs and went on to bomb their 2nd or 3rd jobs.

Mike Ditka failed in New Orleans.

Jimmy Johnson failed in Miami.

Dan Reeves failed in New York.

Dennis Green failed in Arizona.

Herman Edwards (modest success in NYJ) failed in KC.

Joe Gibbs failed in his second run in Washington.

Art Shell failed in his second run in Oakland.

Steve Mariucci failed in Detroit.

George Siefert failed in Carolina.

Buddy Ryan failed in Arizona.

Mike Shannahan has failed in Washington.

Hell, some might even throw Wade Philips into this discussion. (but he only had a little success in Buffalo prior to coming to the Cowboys).

Point being, nothing is guaranteed, except for Kubiak's contract.

Failure is most DEFINITELY a possibility with Cowher.

18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Closest possibility to being in Cowher's class on that list is Shanahan. How many went thru several different eras on their own team?? That's the key for Cowher. Most of those guys were HCs for only a few years and thus could also be a product of the players he had. Cowher and Shanahan were the only ones who had completely different players at various times throughout their careers with the same team.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I suggest you go wikipedia the records/tenures of some of these guys first, because for the most part you're dead wrong.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Valid.

No he didn't. He didn't have the same success, but he did not fail. His run in Miami was a better 4 year run than the Texans have ever had.

Started off strong, but then fell hard at the end. He did end up going to the NFC title game in his third stop in Atlanta however.

Valid.

Not a valid answer. He wasn't very successful with the Jets and was pretty much panned up there after his first year as a bad head coach.

Not valid. Only came back for 4 years. He had two winning seasons and went to the playoffs twice, even winning a playoff game, despite coaching a team that was pretty much a joke prior to him taking over.

Are you kidding? Are Shell? He doesn't count at all.

I'll give you this one even though I think it's not fair to Mariucci to judge him on what happened under Matt Millen.

Fair.

Fair.

If Shanahan is a failure after one season with Washington in which he's already won more games than last year's coach did...
    One losing season. Two playoff appearances and a playoff win.

Failure is obviously possible. Of the 12 coaches you listed, only 5 of them are actually superbowl winning coaches, and of those 5 only 2 of them can be dubbed failures in their next stop. Also, 4 of the coaches you listed as "failures" would be the best coach in Texans history if they got those same results with this team.