1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cowboys @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

win or lose...i'm fine with it as a cowboys fan.

i get the drama either way.

in fact, the last thing i want is the cowboys going into a bye perfectly content with a win...because they will probably relax again and wade will go back to cupcakes. i'd rather they go in as mad as possible and stew for 2 weeks until the next game.

so, please do kick our ass...and kick it really badly...or not. just don't let us kick your ass...cause then cowboys will be full of themselves again and some of our fans will be all up in your faces. and, you will have to live with it and we wouldn't want to tarnish your dream season.

damn...whose side am i on? lol

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A few stats on the Texans:

Number 1 offense in the league with 440 yds/game and 32 ppg.
    #6 in passing yards per game (283)
    #4 in yards per passing attempt
    Only CAR and PHI have allowed more sacks (HOU - 7)
    Schaub has the #7 QB rating in the league (102.6) and is #6 in completion percentage (68%)

#1 in rushing yds/game (157.5)
    #6 in converting on 3rd down (48%)
    #3 in yards per carry (4.8)

The pass defense has been atrocious - dead last in passing defense.
    Most passing yards given up (15 teams haven't allowed even HALF of our 822),
    only PHI and DET have given up bigger pass plays,
    one of only 5 teams to not have an INT,
    only SF allows a higher completion percentage than our 71.6%.
    Have allowed the highest opponent QB rating average in the league (113, 24 teams have kept opponent QB rating below 100).

The run D has been rock solid - 2nd in the league behind Chicago,
    only given up 62 yards total in 2 games
    #5 in yds/carry permitted (2.3)
    Being fair, some of that has to be attributed to playing a Colts squad that didn't even attempt to establish a run game.
    Also being fair, we're doing this well despite missing our juggernaut LB

Overall Defense:
    #5 in holding teams on 3rd down at 27% - this can't be emphasized enough. Early last year, we broke like sissies on 3rd down and let drives continue.
    Only 5 defenses have given up more penalty yards than we have.

Special Teams:
    Only 3 teams have surrendered more yards on kickoff returns than we have. The good news? It's because we've had so many kickoffs - our avg return yardage has been perfectly middle of the road.
    #26 in own kickoff return avg (18.6 yds/return) but #4 in punt returns (13.4 yds/return)

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Texans are only -3 at home. Vegas obviously thinks the Cowboys are going to win, and they are enticing people to bet on the Texans.

/brian_chapman.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As I expected, the Cowboys are being roasted alive over their 0-2 start. The Cowboys are 0-2 because they have been over-hyped and under-coached. On Monday, the Cowboy players held a players' only meeting. Wade got testy with the press (instead of with his players) and Jerry made a number of "I'm befuddled" statements. However, virtually everyone up here still expects them to beat the Texans and go 1-2. That is everyone except Gregg Hill, former A&M running back. Gregg predicted a month ago that the Cowboys would go 0-3. His reasons?

1. The Cowboys have a disfunctional organzational structure. They literally have 2 figurehead head coaches (Wade & Garrett) but the real authority is Jerry Jones or rather Stephen Jones who makes the decisions, convinces Jerry to follow them and when things go KABOOM! it's Jerry who gets to face the music. The Cowboys' players all know this as it's been this way for years which is why Wade cannot put his foot down and get their butts to focus because he has no real authority.

2. Jason Garrett is struggling as the offensive coordinator. It shows in how they use their running backs and in the play calling. What he's calling is not working (obviously) but he really has no answers at this point other than to dig in and do things his way come hell or high water. There is no continuity and identity to the Cowboys' offense and they aren't adjusting to what the opposing defenses throw at them. Wade doesn't even sit in on the offensive coaches meetings so he has no input at all. Example: Last Sunday, we saw Barber getting into a nice groove running the ball to start the game when poof! he gets pulled, replaced by Felix Jones and there goes the running game. All 3 backs combined for around 19 carries which is simply not enough. But that's the way Garrett wanted it. Wade, on the other hand, wanted to keep running the ball because it was working. Who's he? The head coach...

3. The laxadasical approach to training camp has left this team unprepared for the season. Jerry Jones' need for publicity and exposure had this team going to TWO training camps (San Antonio & Oxnard). Wade didn't push the players hard in either one (Camp Cupcake) and each camp had more of a circus atmosphere than a traing camp with numerous events held for publicity purposes. It reminded me of Rocky III where Rocky trains for his first bout with Clubber Lang in a circus-like atmosphere. Anyway, they got killed in preseason by the Texans, showed nothing in the other games and the offense looks just as bad now as it did then. They commit mistakes on the small things they were supposed to get down during training camp. Already, we're hearing the perverbial whispers and finger-pointing that plagues losing teams and what their players use to deflect blame.

Despite all this I expect this game to be a war. The Cowboys find themselves in a rare place - one of desperation as they could go into their Bye week down 0-3. I expect them to come into this game and attempt to physically overpower the Texans. Their DL is bigger than the Texans' OL and they have outstanding LBs in Spears & Ware who are the complete package. Their secondary is beat up but still somewhat solid. They know the Texans have given up consecutive 400+ yards to the Colts and the Redskins and they saw Schaub get sacked 5 times last week. That butt-kicking the Texans gave them in preseason still stings and this game will be payback time. Jerry wants to beat the Texans more than any other team because this is for Texas bragging rights.

The key will be how well the Texans' lines play on both sides of the ball. The Texans DL MUST put pressure on Romo who has shown that he'll start throwing the ball too fast and too high when he's placed under seige. The Cowboys will want to slow the game down which means they will try to get their 3-headed RB going. If that happens then it will open thing up for Austin, Whitten, Williams & Bryant. They get those guys going and it's turn out the lights as I don't believe that the Texans' secondary can contain this group of receivers. Remember: Despite what we've seen from them (Cowboys) thus far, theirs is still an offense that can put 30+ points on the board on any given Sunday. The Texans will have to match them in focus and intensity. They cannot start this game like they started the Redskins game or if will be over early and all of the progress and good feelings from the past couple of weeks will be gone.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The line could change with the news of Brown's suspension.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

See? Vegas knew.

/brian_chapman

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Ugh... I just found out.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

9. sammy

I'm not panicking. Ware is gonna get his regardless.

Schaub should pull a Peyton when he sees Mario coming and just hit the turf.

10. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Maps are now up.

http://the506.com/sports/?tag=2010-week-3

Sorry you're stuck with Det@Min. Maybe if the Texans keep winning they will have broader distribution later in the season.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Houston comes out motivated. I actually think the Duane Brown news works against the Cowboys. It's just more motivation for Houston. Our players this year have a great, "If you're gonna doubt us, we'll show you we're great."-type attitude, and I think for the type of situation we're in (Duane Brown), it'll work for us.

Houston - 35
    Dallas - 17

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think Houston comes out motivated, anyway. But I have a difficult time believing we're better off without our starter.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyway, what are WARE's stats?

14. sammy

Google is your friend.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ptzy11RZs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ptzy11RZs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

..is what I meant. i was referring to Schaub just going down if he sees Ware coming for him freely.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Trent Dilfer said this is the game of the week next week. He wants to watch a desperate Cowboys team vs. the "most complete team in the National Football League" in the Houston Texans.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't Trent Dilfer predict that the Texans were pretenders at the start of the season.

But then again, I believe he also said that the Cowboys were going to dominate this season.

I say he is just uptalking the Texans in order to make it look less bad if his Cowboys lose.

17. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

I actually think Dilfer is starting to buy into the Texans now. Here is another vid were he had nothing but good things to say about the Texans:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=5597536"/></object>

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He has said a lot of positive things about the Texans this season from what I have seen

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Statement game. Win this one, snooze through a whooping on the Raiders and then Cush is back for the tough one against the Giants.

Establish the run and eat some clock. We know our secondary sucks so keep Romo on the damn bench. Also the Cowboys are about one foot off the ledge as it is. Demoralize them just like the Colts. Get them down early and they will stay there, that team has ZERO heart. Also more screens and more touches for Arian.

Mario has been playing great but it has to continue, help out that secondary and give Romo a case of the happy feet.

The crowd needs to be insane as in 19-10 insane. Help put the pressure on.

This game really makes me nervous but after last week I have faith!

Texans 38
    Cowboys 20

20. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

Texans secondary scares me but at the same time Romo is a INT throwing fool. Texans win this one in a shoot out 35-28. Wade Phillips better get to packing his bags. :grin: HOUSTON TEXANS 3-0. AFC South Champs. Bet on it.