1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Coach of the Year = AVERY JOHNSON

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mikeylu, Apr 25, 2006.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Avery who? Pu-lease...this guy isn't worthy of this honor...How about Flip or Fratello

Dallas sux...

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What exactly has Avery done so great? Making the Mavs a strong defensive team? Oh, please. It's not like they were not a 50 wins team with lots of fire powers in previous 4 seasons. Making it better defensively or offensively is just empty talk, if you have exactly 2 more wins than last season. This Mavs team, with Dirk playing great, they should have a lot of wins. What matters is what they can do in the playoffs. Avery proves that he can be a good NBA coach, but coach of the year? What's so great about him that other coaches couldn't do and didn't do this year?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the coach of the year is a regular seson award so it really doesn't matter about the playoffs. nash is a regular season mvp, do you think phoenix is gonna win the title? of course not, but that doesn't mean nash doesn't deserve mvp.

as far as what has he done? he kept the mavs a top team after losing an mvp.

4. real_egal

They won 2 more games. They lost that MVP last season. The reason I brought up playoff is, that you can't tell so much difference he attibuted. Yes, they might be playing a slightly different style, having more emphasis on defense, simply because they lost some offensive threats in Nash, Finley, NVE. Different style is just means, the goal is to win more. If the goal is not reached, means are irrelevant. As strong as the Mavs are, their coach shouldn't get that award simply for a different style, or keeping the high level. Otherwise, PJ would be winning 10 awards. 2 more wins doesn't give you a coach of the year award.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You have extremely high standards. they won 60 games, I think that speaks for itself, they were the third best team in the NBA behind the two everyone thought would be the best. he's deserving, if you want to give it to flip, that's fine, or popavich, but avery is deserving based on what his team did.

6. real_egal

They are a very good team, but the problem is, they were very good last year, and the year before last year. I am not saying he's bad, in fact, I like Avery, and he proves he's a very good coach. But to me, that coach of the year, has to make a team very special in this year, comparing to other coaches in league. Keeping your team at a high level, is somewhat special, but not special enough to set him apart from other coaches like Pop or Flip. Therefore, I would rather it goes to someone like Rick Carlisle. :)

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well they will never give it to a coach who has a meadiocre team but had to work hard to be meadiocre. I agree, rick has done a good job two years in a row given circumstances but more than mvp it seems coaches only get coach of the year from top teams.

8. real_egal

I agree. Honestly, I don't think the choise is blind, not as bad as Wallace's all first NBA team vote would be. Avery has his case. But I felt that Mavs' defense is over-hyped. Let's see it in the playoffs.

9. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

You gotta have pepper with the salt...

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Lil' General is a former Rocket. He also resides in Houston in the off-season. We can give him his respect and still hate the Mavs.

11. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

well i didn't know he still lived in houston, but i remember when he played for the rockets

nevertheless, he is a member of the mavs so if you hate the mavs you should hate avery, which i do....i have no respect for avery and his strange speaking manner...i have nothing but contempt for anyone associated with the mavs

12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far, he did have much better depth and talent then we did though and the age of our role players really showed in that series.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who picked those players?

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

A lot of maturity being shown in this thread. :rolleyes:

Props to Avery. Who would have thought that anyone would ever be able to get productive minutes from Desagana Diop?