1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Carl Landry bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by binvegas, Oct 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No rockets drafted him. Rockets traded for the pick though.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

because a productive PF for cheap is a bad idea?

I'm glad to see Landry getting into a groove. I thought he was a good get with some upside, nothing flashy but does a lot of thigns solidly...especially on offense.

He's certainly the best shooting PF, i've been disappointed in scola mid range. I thought he was a better shooter, but maybe he's just been off though

3. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Scola's midrange shot is decent, but I don't think it can be classified as "good". His form is terrible on that. Sort of pushes the ball.

Landry imo has a better shot than Scola, though he still shoots a line-drive jumper kinda like Marc Jackson's. But he does seem to have a knack for converting his plays though. I think he'll eventually be a good player. A poor man's Kenny Thomas I think.

4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

May I keep hearing comparisons to Kenny Thomas. Yuk.

KT was one of the worst black holes I have ever seen, he was the ultimate offensive rhythm killer. I liked his hustle but didn't mind seeing him go at all.

Lets hope for something more than another KT.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Landry is coming off knee problems, is more athletic,and more skilled than Kenny.Thomas was an overachiever while Landry led the Big 10 and performed fantastic against stiff comp in the tourney.He will continue to improve as he gains confidence in the knee while having playing time.
    I always liked Kenny's attitude but Landry is on another level.Without the knee Carl goes top 16 - 17 easy.He's 6'8 and 1/2" 248 lbs and in addition to being skilled he can get up.Just let the knee come back all the way.He's already adjusting quickly albeit in preseason to the association.This guy belongs in the League as a rotational player at the minimum.When you play on the Rockets though your probably going to be further down the bench than on just about any other team besides SA.Landry's mustard just like Brooks.Right now he looks even more ready.

6. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

I like the options of Hayes, Scola and Landry at the four. All similar players in regards to tough around the rim and hustle.

I would keep Landry over anyone else on the bubble right now.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Are you talking about Landry's shots, or Scola's?

If you're talking about Landry's, I don't know what games you have been watching, but you haven't been watching the ones I have been seeing. Landry's shots have excellent form and a nice high arc. Certainly nothing like Juwon's shots the last couple years. When someone calls a shot a 'line-drive', that is what I think of.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Kenny Thomas is/was much more athletic. Thomas got a ton of blocks and rebounds and a fair amount of steals in college--all far more than Landry.

Hopefully Landry has a better low post game than Kenny and be more efficient with the ball, but in terms of raw athleticism in a big frame, let's be honest, Landry isn't in his league.

9. CLbros

CLbros Member

I'm not so sure about that. Thomas may have been more athletic but as far as a big strong frame, Landry is no chump. And in one of the deepest drafts ever, Landry tested out as the 5th best athlete I believe.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I wonder how Kenny Thomas scored athletically in the predraft combines? What was Kenny Thomas's vertical leap and how many times did he bench press 185lbs. In my eyes it's a toss up between the two from an athletic standpoint, Kenny became a better run jump athlete after he shed alot of baby fat during his 2nd or 3rd year playing in the NBA. Kenny did not play in the Big 10 either.

I have watched Landry in college and if he doesn't hurt his knee during his junior year, he would easily have been a 2007 1st round draft pick. He is much more explosive than he has shown.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Carl Landry over Hayes anyday

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I see Landry as the future Small Forward of the Rockets,

13. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I just want Landry to provide the kind of spark Paul Millsap did for the Jazz last season and in the playoffs.

14. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

ok...Carl Landry plays TWO good preseason games, and we think he's better than Hayes?

Maybe...Chuck Hayes has ONLY been the all-hustle, all-energy, all-effort player for this team for the last two seasons. And been the guy that would go get any rebound or take any charge for this team. And given us toughness, a passion to play, gutsy performances, etc. And was our starting power forward of a lineup that was the best in the leugue last year. And despite being an awful shooter, that flaw in his game has not hurt the team at all. Chuck has ONLY been a positive influence on this team ...and you guys are willing to put him behind a rookie whose only played two games for us?

Don't get me wrong. I also think Landry has a place on this team in the future. But in a couple of more games, we'll see some of Landry's weaknesses exposed, and we'll realize how much more work this ROOKIE still has to do.

15. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

True... True.

16. CLbros

CLbros Member

I think that Landry and Hayes will have to share some backup PF time because they both bring a lot of different things to the table. Landry can shoot and play a little defense too. You made all the points about Chuck. And although you're right about Chuck not necessarily hurting the team, his lack of offense isn't helping the team either and that's where Landry comes in. I think they'll both be valuable pieces this season.

17. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

From what I have seen Landry is the opposite of Hayes in skills. Whatever Landry has on offense Hayes has on defense. Landry was getting schooled by Warwick. Warwick must have made five straight buckets before Landry fouled him to stop the bleeding. Memphis just kept dropping it in, and watched as he scored almost at will.

Landry was dropping shots above the free throw line, though -pretty! No hesitation - stands up straight and shoots the ball over his head. Already looks very comfortable with his shot. Novak finally appears to be getting that comfortable look also. It is possible the JVG offense/defense was a bit overwhelming for him last year, and Adelmans' offense could be good for his confidence.

18. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i dont think anyone does.

19. CLbros

CLbros Member

I agree with you that Landry is better offensively and Chuck is better defensively, but not really because of any of you points. Landry was not getting schooled by Warrick. It wasn't like Landry was standing there and letting Warrick around him or getting dunked on by him...Warrick was makin some tough shots. Players in the NBA do that whether the defense is good or not.

20. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

From what I could tell after they came out of the timeout they apparently had discussed it because they were still talking to Landry about his defense when they came out on the floor. He will get it down, but he just doesn't have it now. Warwick is good but no super star, and he was working him over from what I saw.