1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Carl Landry bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by binvegas, Oct 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dan Roundfield? Looooooongtime Pacer fan here. I don't think Landry fits that category. He isn't as quick, doesn't have nearly the hops and I can't see Landry playing center in the NBA. But I suppose anything can happen.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thats overly harsh and not totally accurate

3. CLbros

CLbros Member

Welcome on the bandwagon guys...I'm a huge Purdue fan so I've been on for about 4 or 5 years now. Landry won't disappoint.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not explosive? he is somewhat deceptive, but the guy can get up in a hurry

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Landry ever becomes a rotation player it will be a nice surprise.

6. AXG

AXG Member

He reminds me a lot of a younger Kenny Thomas. I would like for Landry to make the team based on his potential. He's got a solid mid-range shot and he's a stong player on the low post.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

As a drafted rookie his salary doesn't double up if the Rockets stay over LT. Plus he's another cheap contract for next season. IMO he's guaranteed a spot Novak, Reed, Butler, and Snyder.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, I knew this thread was coming after last night.

You guys need to go back and seriously look at the scouting reports on power forwards prior to this past draft.

Landry was rated VERY highly by many of them, and in some cases was actually rated as the highest value power forward in the draft, when considering a multitude of factors, but primarily on the impact of the games when he was on the floor. Not saying I was actually hoping that Landry was going to be our pick (I was actually kind of hoping for Fazekas at the time), just that I remember seeing several different scouting breakdowns which sounded rather surprised themselves that they were discovering this Carl Landry kid could seriously play, and was going to be a steal for somebody.

This is exactly the kind of guy that Morey was brought in here to find.

Last night was the first time I have gotten to really watch him play, and personally, I was impressed. I knew what the scouts had said, so I expected him to do well, but seeing is better than just trusting what other people say.

The guy has a very nice jump shot, excellent form, and gets very good elevation on that shot. Nobody is going to be blocking that shot, or even interfering with it, for that matter. He has some hops, actually has some hang time on drives, and had good body control while in the air in order to get off a challenging layup. He has a high motor, and hustles. He seems to have a good bball IQ - I look to that play late in the game where he got a rebound down on the left baseline and was FOULED by a guy flying out of bounds, but the ref called Landry for stepping on the baseline - and the look on his face said that the ref blew that call big-time. He didn't scream and throw a fit, which I thought was a good sign of maturity, but he was clearly disappointed in the call because he KNEW he had made a good play, not a bad one. It's that *knowing* which looks good to me.. it speaks of self-confidence and good hoops smarts. And I especially liked the fire with which he played.. a couple of times at least after he made a play, he really showed his enthusiasm and his passion, which to me reflects a good heart and strong competitive desire.

I don't understand why this guy is not a fan favorite, and not a favorite on this board. He has not done anything to disappoint anyone except NOT be LSU's version of Tractor Traylor.

Give the guy a chance before you declare that he's 'no good' and 'should be cut', etc.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

He is promising for the future but I'd wait and see how he fares against a real PF. Warrick is only 215 pounds. One on the knocks on him is that bigger players give him trouble. In SL bigger guys like Pops and from other teams confirmed this.

I don't feel he'll contribute this season. This game shows the Rockets have a need for a third PF that's ready to play now cause the minutes will be there.

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

Agree he's a lot like Kenny Thomas. Or alternately, you can say Robert Horry. If he can turn into Big Shot Bob, that would indeed be a nice suprise.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Give it time, I will go out on a limb right now and say that he's better than Novak from an all around basketball point of view. Novak is one dimensional. I think Landry will also upstage Snyder due to superior Basketball IQ. He may even challenge someday the minutes of Chuck Hayes. I rate Landry along the same lines as Craig Smith of the Timberwolves. Craig Smith was a steal coming out of Boston College. I remember watching the guy in the NCAA tournament. He was unbelievable with his jumping and shot blocking. He could flat out score but he came from an unheralded basketball school and he went as the 36th pick of the NBA draft. I knew someone was getting a fine athlete and steal of the draft. Craig Smith worked on his body over the summer just as Landry has before his inaugural NBA season.

Craig Smith averaged 7.4 pts 53.1% FG shooting, 10.8 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.3 STL, and 1.9 TO's on just 18.7 MPG.

The problem for Landry will be to find playing time on this squad as a rookie. I say no way the Rockets are going to get rid of him.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It seems that a lot of people on this board say things before they have educated themselves enough to comment about players abilities.

I thought Landry was really good at Purdue, but during the summer games Harris out hustled him. It was nice to finally get to see some of what he can do for the team last night.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the kid is going to be a contributor but I think he needs some time in the D-league. Especially with this roster having as many veteran players as it does.

After last night I think he moved himself closer to the top of the "bubble race". I would be really disappointed to see him get cut and produce somewhere else next season.

That being said I think the last three to make the team are Brooks Novak and Landry. Not just because of last night's rotation since I am going to guess we will see more of Brooks, Synder, Reed, and Butler tonight. At this point though those last three would probably have to do something fantastic to make the team.

That's just my guess though.

13. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I thought he had a good drive/dunk in the game....pretty athletic.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd still rather have Big Baby. Come on Landry, make me regret this statement.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, as soon as we got Scola, and Butler came with him, a lot of people around the league were talking about how well we did in that deal to not only get Scola, but to get Butler as well.

But man, that kid is supposed to be 22 years old, and he has that crazy-ass beard, and weighs a ton? It doesn't look like he is going out of his way to endear himself to the coaches, the organization, of the fans. Which is not too smart. Something tells the the guy is not sporting a ton of gray matter between the ears, and he may be content to get his guaranteed year's contract payoff and bail, and maybe make an effort in another year to catch on somewhere else.

All conjecture on my part, but geez, man.. if you know you are on a bubble of making a team, then you need to be doing everything you can to make yourself indispensable, not dogging it and trying to come across like some kind of third-rate al-qaeda wannabe.. he should have been trying to emulate Battier, not Homeless Joe.

As thin as we could be at the 5, it looks like Adelman is getting these guys geared up to play small-ball when necessary, which is leading me to suspect that Butler is gonzo.

If so, then that means:

Sura - gone.
    Harris - gone.
    JL3 - gone.
    Butler - gone.

It's looking better and better for Novak, especially after he was actually able to show at least a little bit. Nice move on that fake and step-in to hit that j, as well as a decent hustle put-back.

Looks like it will come down to Snyder and Reed as the odd man out.

Between Snyder and Reed, which guy hurts the least financially if we out-right release him?

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

The passing skills Big Baby has displayed for Boston makes him look like he'd be a great fit on the Rockets.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hooroo, I saw him in college and he played extremely well against Horford, Noah and Oden. They don't get much bigger than those 3 guys.

Didn't Landry test off the charts in the predraft camp. I think he was the 5th best athlete if I'm not mistaken.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, he tested out as #5 in predraft tests. It is just funny how people say he is not alethetic and short when many of the power forwards in the league are not bigger or more atheletic.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think he might be just as tall as Horford from Florida without shoes. If he would have worn a shoe like everyone else that was 1.25 inches, he would have measured out at 6"9 in shoes.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. It's sad really. Kelly Dwyer thinks very highly of Butler's natural abilities, and that says a lot to me, but Butler just doesn't seem to care about basketball or his career. He's out of shape and seems perfectly content to put in no effort whatsoever to improve as a player. I really don't understand it. I mean, with his size and natural abilities, he doesn't really have to do much but report to camp in shape, pretend to care about basketball and occasionally show a glimpse of his 'potential' and somebody would give the guy a 60 million dollar deal one day (or at least an MLE deal), but he can't even show up in shape, much less pretend to care about basketball. Such a waste. I'm betting he doesn't stick in the league much longer. Are there any European teams that would take on a heartless player like Butler? They seem to really value work ethic. It'll be sad when we read about how Butler is bankrupt and working for minimum wage one day.