1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cardinals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2006.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how many times he batted cleanup. He NEVER should have been there (Not to mention it was in critical games when we were hanging in the race) and that is just one example of poor decision making by Garner. I like him in every way as a manager except for his game management. Unfortunately that is the most important part of being a manager to me. Just my opinion, but all of you are free to disagree. Go Stros.

And my whole point here is not to bash Garner continuously, but to refute the point that he is a good manager because he "outmanaged" La Russa tonight. I agree with the fact that the best manager can finish last place without the players. I just think the manager should put the team in the best position to win, and obvious flaws (ie. Lane batting 4th) are not acceptable to me.

#41 RocketManJosh, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

He should have had a whopping 0 plate appearances as a clean up hitter.

Garner can't take the entire blame of this team not making the post season this year because guys like Morgan didn't produce. Last year the team did well inspite of Garner not because of him.

3. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Good, a win... :eek:

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Anyone have the video of Roger coming off the mound after his last start? I'd love to see the ovation he got.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Is that a sign hinting that he may retire for good this time?

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

no that's a sign hinting that drayton can get a few more dollars out of clemens this year. :) not that i mind, i'm gonna try to head out there.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

remember the whole debate we had earlier in the season about protection in the lineup?? is it real or not???

i promise you lance berkman doesn't get pitched to last night with first base open if luke scott, who's absolute raking right now, isn't batting behind him. i'm not sure if that shows up in one of your computer generated stats. but it's a fact.

9. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

It wasnt that great of an ovation, pretty quiet. HOpefully the last game of the season will be better.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Welcome aboard the Luke Scott train.....too bad it took Garner nearly 2 months to move him to his proper spot.

DD

11. MadMax

my son told his first grade teacher that Luke Scott was his favorite Astro.

12. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

They were saying on 610 yesterday that in all of Clemens starts at home in the last 3 years, they have averaged only 1,500 more people in attendance. (Compared to every home game he was not starting)

That was actually kind of surprising, I was expecting a higher number then that. At least 3,000 more in attendance per game.

13. msn

msn Member

Precisely.

Protection in a lineup is real, and hitters feeding off of one another is real.

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who ever said protection wasn't real?

I love your line about "computer generated stats". You not only throw in the fear and paranoia about math, but also about technology with the "computer generated" part. Nice. I don't trust your satellite or fiber optic cable generated visual images displayed on a television screen.

15. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

My personal opinion was if he made Wednesday his last game and didn't play on the road that would be a sign of him retiring. If he pitches again this season, he probably won't retire. I figure he wouldn't play his last game in any other ballpark but ours. Anything else just seems off.

16. MadMax

i love how you assume i was talking to you.

17. msn

msn Member

So is there a stat or not?

18. Buck Turgidson

And for the love of deity when will Garner stop using Orlando Palmeiro in key pinch-hitting situations? Moron!

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Don't you just love how Palmeiro is signed through 07? Who's the freaking moron that gave out that contract? Nevermind...

20. Buck Turgidson

Not that big a deal.

I understand why Gar likes having him on the bench. He was great as a PH the past few seasons, yet struggled for the most part this season. It's not like they wouldn't/shouldn't be able to find a trade partner for him or eat his contract (700Kish, iirc) if they decide he doesn't fit their plans next season.

Pinch-hittin' ain't easy.