1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cardinals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2006.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Lance f'n Berkman. Second of the game, off Chris Carpenter no less. Whatever happens this season, he's amazing... it's been a thrill to get to watch him.

Will Lidge pitch the 9th? If two get on, you-know-who comes up...

2. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

lance is kind of a stud, aint he?

3. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Not THAT would be da effin bomb!

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wheeler it is.....Garner has no more patience for Lidge.

DD

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm sure Pooholes would like Lidge too. Hopefully it won't get to either one of them.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even though I'm thrilled about the HR... I'm pissed about it too:

1.) Berkman deserves more respect... especially on a team that doesn't have many above average hitters. Larussa/Carpenter obviously think they're better than anything in a Houston uniform.

2.) Also, I'm pissed because of how weak this Cardinals team is, that will be winning a division championship. Despite what I just said about TLR/Carpenter, there's a good chance that they had to keep Carpenter in because of how sorry the Cards bullpen is now.

And, Wheels is closing...

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not that... especially if you just read the article in the chron.

Its that Lidge isn't going to turn it around in one game, or two games... he's been taxed way too much over 4 straight years, and he's going to need a little R&R, work on his mechanics some more, and come back positive next year.

Also, the Cards have a host of guys who were good against Lidge even when he was super-consistent every night... J-Rod being one of them.

8. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Berkman is a god among men! Bow to him and his catlike (pumalike?) reflexes!

9. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Big Puma !!!

Way to go, Wheels!

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks like TLR "the genius" was outmanaged by that bum Garner tonight.

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

[/SIZE] BIG PUMA !!! The Cat is loose! LOL.

Way to go, Wheels! :D

12. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Wow, that was freaking awesome. Thank God my prediction was wrong. Yay!

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah you are right ... Lane wasn't batting clean-up and Lidge didn't come in the game in the 9th ... too bad Garner didn't figure all that out a month ago when we still had a chance

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How different could this season look if Wheeler had pitched the 9th a little over a week ago in St. Louis? With that win, they're within 4 games after that series instead of being 6 back and completely demoralized heading back home to face the Phillies.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For the 100th time... there wasn't some "magic cure" for this team, that the manager could have fixed. There were several players out there who haven't performed like they should.

If Lidge doesn't pitch a game all year, fine... he doesn't blow those 6 saves. But, the bullpen is still inherently weaker. Lidge with a 5+ERA, but leading the league in strikeouts, and tons of saves, is still an above average pitcher. Plus, Wheeler, Borkowski, and Springer are pitching many more innings (notice I took out Qualls as well).

That's before even talking about the struggles of the young starting pitchers, and the lineup.

This team came together as a TEAM last year... and they didn't do that this year... simple as that.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Hey I didn't say a different manager would have gotten this team into the playoffs. All I am saying is that Garner did not give this team the best chance to win every night and that to me is inexcusable for a manager. You cannot tell me that Lane should have ever been in the 4 hole .. no way .. no how. Inexcusable!

17. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

wow, just think if Wheels would have been closing this year. I sure hope Lidge gets his stuff together.

18. trickywhiteguy

I LOVE LANCE

No H0M0

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You do realize that Lane has a whopping 23 plate appearances as a clean up hitter this year (probably 5 or 6 games). It's not like Garner trotted him out there every day as the number 4 guy.

20. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Boy, Berkman absolutely owns Carpenter. Takes me back to memories of 2005 NLCS Game 5. Not having postseason baseball sure is gonna suck. Great win tonight regardless. If we had been doing stuff like that all year, we would have clinched the division by now.

I heard Palillo say something about the Puma today, he said that from the left side he swings the bat like a hall of famer swings the bat. This guy is a phenominal hitter. He and Pujols and maybe Papi are the 3 best hitters in baseball and then maybe Ryan Howard. And to think the lineup he is doing it in is awful. Big props to Big P. :)

Knowing this team, they'll probably go undefeated the rest of the way and sneak into the playoffs. :rolleyes: