1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cardinals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2006.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm just trying to figure out Aceshigh's assessment of who you can and can't boo. I assume in his mind as long as the player left as a free agent (assuming the Astros made a fair offer), then it is fair to boo that player. In that respect, I assume that Darryl Kile would have been someone Aceshigh would have boo'ed. I also assume that Aceshigh would never boo a current player as long as they are giving their all.

Personally I think that folks can boo who they want for whatever reason they want.

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

The Astros didn't try to re-sign Kile. That was back when they were in the mode of not wanting to give a pitcher a big free agent contract. See Portugal, Kile, Hampton, etc... If you had a career year and you were a free agent after the season, the Astros would pretty much just let you go without even bothering to make an effort.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You couldn't be more wrong about Kile.

4. msn

msn Member

No kidding. Wrong about Hampton and Portugal, too.

5. msn

msn Member

Agreed.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kile signed for 3 years and $24 million with the Rockies. If I remember correctly the Astros offer was for around $21-$22 million.

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yup. According to the rumors at the time (IIRC), Kile was willing to take the smaller contract and stay in Houston, but the player's association "discouraged" him from turning down the bigger contract offer from Colorado. So off he went to Denver where his ERA doubled and his wins halved.

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Ok, I'm game. Why did Wilson get booed at MMP then?

The Kent take, I heard that the Stros would only offer so much to resign and also he had a desire to play near in home in SoCal so he went to LA.

I personally had no problem with that, but Beltran punk'd us plain and simple and that is why I will always have a special place in my rectum reserved just for him and jackass Bora$. He could have handled his business much differently.

He strung out the fans here and played us. That is reason why Beltran totally loses respect now with H-Towns fans.