1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No it's not extreme but it is also not the norm so it should be an example during this discussion.

I agree that the cost to individuals and small business owners is much too high but M4A is not the only answer.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you got nothing.

You just come in here making claims not knowing what posters have said in the past and painting them with a broad brush.

If you really want to have a substantive discussion yes you should check his posting history because other ideas have been mentioned.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Most recent CNN poll has Bernie leading by 3 points nationally, the latest morning consult poll shows Bernie within 5 points of Biden nationally.

Bernie is only trailing Joe by 6% nationally on RCP average, this is both the closest Bernie has been to Biden since April 2019, as well as the highest Bernie has polled since April 2019.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

4. dmoneybangbang

That’s what I thought, instead of researching something you just jumped head first into something you really don’t care about. Pretty transparent.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Bernie has the wind at his back and has locked up the progressive nomination.

Still not convinced Bernie is a good presidential candidate during a strong economy but can’t deny his appeal.

joshuaao likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

https://www.oddsshark.com/other/2020-usa-presidential-odds-futures

upload_2020-1-22_10-52-50.png

B-Bob likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i'm voting for bernie because at least he'll try to take a swing, you guys can keep dancing with each other. we're past research, talking, debating, time to do something or not.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are that guy?

As long as you are fighting that's all that matters.

If Bernie does get elected you would still need to do research, talk and debate.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nook likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Bless your heart, you think Bernie can just wave his magic wand.

13. dmoneybangbang

Nah, Bernie’s progressive magic wand will just take care of that...

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Of course, why continue to do the same nothing. The people get what they ask for not what they deserve and we ask for nothing if we don't try anything.

you are the one who believes in magic, waiting for things to magically get better while ignoring/discrediting people with different ideas. i don't, i need action and bernie the only one discussing potential actions. i don't know if they would work if implemented but i'm willing to find out because this same ole same is isn't working.

15. dmoneybangbang

Lol. I’m sorry but some ideas are better than others. If you want to hide behind “sunsets and unicorns” that’s your issue.

I wasn’t born yesterday and saw how much resistance a center left, incremental approach to healthcare garnered so obstructionism less than a decade ago. I’m supposed to believe Bernie will overcome the opposition with an ever bolder plan?

If you can’t debate because the truth hurts, just say so.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exaclty nobody is advocating to do nothing or ignoring anything.

Bernie is not the only one discussing potential actions.

You sound like a bizzaro Trump guy.

Nook likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why does Bernie get a pass for this?

Did not want to derail the other thread but wanted the Bernie Bros to comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-the-nra-helped-put-bernie-sanders-in-
    congress/2015/07/19/ed1be26c-2bfe-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/l...st-money-from-the-gun-rights-lobby-2017-10-03

The only non-Republican in the top 25: Bernie Sanders, a Senate independent whose state, Vermont, has a strong hunting tradition. He accepted $11,129 in cash. Sanders, of course, challenged Hillary Clinton for the Democratic Party’s presidential nod.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fac...ims-about-gun-record-democratic-debate-2019-7

Sanders also has a history of voting against gun control legislation. When Sanders was still in the US House of Representatives in 1993, he voted against the Brady Bill, which imposed a five-day waiting period and background checks on handgun purchases.

Sanders in 2003 and 2005 also voted in favor of a bill (that became law in 2005) to shield gun manufacturers and dealers from lawsuits.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Conversely, do you think his gun control stance from 15-25 years ago is indicative? I don't much like this practice of referencing Senate votes from long ago. The audience doesn't get the context, doesn't know about the horse-trading that went on to produce that vote, and so on. Same with decontextualized clips from politicians' old speeches.

Here's what Sanders says now, which seems to be in-line with his record: https://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-gun-policy/
    * Federal ban on assault weapons
    * "Instant background checks" (close the loopholes, etc)
    * Otherwise left to the states
    * Manufacturers should be shielded from liability
    * Improve mental health care
    * Reduce the lobbying power of the NRA

I think he misdiagnoses the problem and I think his solutions are weak and ineffectual, but I have no reason to believe he's hiding his true intentions. Most politicians (aside from Trump) put their platform up on their websites. No need to read the tea leaves.

19. shorerider

shorerider Member

Well I don't want to pay for other's misguided choices, but that's the nature of insurance - even with the current system. You pay into it in the event that you might need it, but hope you never do. I have paid car insurance for over 30 years and have never once been in an accident. I can see my premiums have gone up since the 80's, and they are what they are due in no small part to other people getting into accidents.

20. shorerider

shorerider Member

Extreme? He's a small business owner. 99.9% of businesses are small, and they employ 50% of our nation's workforce. One way or another (whether your employer pays it or you pay out of pocket) you are paying about twice the amount that similar societies around the world pay. The current system is totally unsustainable and with the Boomers retiring en masse this decade if costs are not brought under control there will be a crisis.