1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Bengals @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 21, 2008.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

(a) I don't think there is a strategy. (b) when you're that close to a ring, make an all out push that year. We had a very rare, very special team with O-Clemens-Andy....and let the moment pass. For me, that stings. No one forgets championships, everyone forgets close but no cigar teams.

I was thinking 2005, where our tendency to lose games 1-0 or 2-1 cost Roger the Cy Young and us a real chance vs the Other Sox. Losing Kent over the Beltran sweepstakes (losing him never HAD to happen, except for the budget) cost us the reliable bat we lacked so glaringly.

The bottom line matters very much to Les... I didn't say it didn't matter to him (Paul Allen, James Dolan, Mark Cuban). What I said was, bottom line doesn't run the franchise over winning. They are cognizant of the money, but I haven't seen financial moves that take us out of the running. The Sonics used to do that, the Bucks tend to do that, the Magic tend to do that....we don't. We haven't cleaned the cupboards to start over with minimum deals and draft picks - we've stayed at the lux tax line every year it's been around. If there were slam dunk moves that would have given us a ring that we turned down because of money, I don't know of them.

I agree.

I think he *wants* to win, but I think he's hampered that end when he doesn't want a failure QB to be cut loose because he likes him personally. When he doesn't cut loose a failure of a coach and GM who turned in indefensible seasons/results because he doesn't want to be a mean guy. I think McNair *wants* to win...but I don't think he's willing to be an impartial employer that demands excellence from his employees. I think he doles out 5 chances too many if he's fond of someone. I think we're seeing evidence of that now with DC Richard Smith.

Wait, this from Carr's biggest excuse maker all the way until his failure in Carolina? If you're in any way saying that I was a Carr fanboy at any point in the Texans history, please knock yourself out finding any posts to back that up - I can assure you his jersey has never been on my back.

I was fine with him year 1, okay with him year 2 but noticed his lack of progress, year 3 I became uneasy with his play and furious at the mail-it-in home finale, yr 4 I gave up on him after it became clear that his problems couldn't be blamed on the O-line (entirely), that his own teammates didn't care for him, and that he wasn't willing to work hard at being a strong starter in the NFL. I wanted him gone with Capers and Cass.

Further, I don't see how the Carr thing helps make your point in the slightest. Fans aren't happy with the Texans' apparent backslide this season because Carr was a bust?

Also, if you're going to take jabs at people ignore points....you may want to address my post breaking down the 3 years of the Kubiak era. Still don't know how you can say we've progressed this year over the last. Maybe we had an easier schedule heading into 8-8....but what about all the key injuries? And how does that explain away losing a home game in the final quarter when you're up over two scores with only minutes left to play?

We've won two games over league bottom dwellers by a combined score of 8. Our defense is atrocious. Our inability to protect the ball and protect a lead is disheartening. How are we better than last year???

Evan

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ric -

you jumped all over for us assuming that players might have a problem with david carr...or that they might wish to play with another QB. you called us irresponsible. and here you are making assumptions about why i'd be upset with a 2-4 team and one that hasn't had a winning season in 7 years??? seriously?? how's the air up there? by your measure ric, it's irresponsible...particularly when all you had to do was read my posts to try to understand.

your assumption that it's about VY for me is beyond ridiculous...particularly considering i've been pretty clear here that i'm happy to be wrong about that one.

as for comparing them to other houston teams...i've also said over and over again...including in this very discussion...that i'm not nearly as objective about the astros or rockets as i am about the texans. that i grew up with those teams and they get an unfair pass in my eyes, typically. i don't have that same sentiment for the texans organization.

so i'll say again..i'm not sure what there is to argue about here. i'm sure you'll find a way, though.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

that's the team THIS regime inherited, major, which is kind of the backbone of my contention - they're not responsible for years 1-4. so why are fans holding them accountable?

and should i assume you agree with the rest of my post that eviserated this idea that "teams... go from crap to good immediately all the time" since you didn't bother to respond to any of that part?

when have i EVER said fans SHOULDN'T be frustrated? i think their frustration - understandable given not just the texans' history, but the 8 years prior to the texans, a point i made years ago on my site - should be tempered with a degree of optimism, given "increased talent (especially at the QB position)." this team, especially offensively, has added more talent in 2 years than the old regime ever did in 4 years and they were operating with no cap issues and additional draft picks.

and that's a result of a "coaching change" - which should have erased memories of bad drafts, horrible free agent signings and tall ladders.

this team has gotten better; from a win standpoint (though, obviously, that trend may end this year) and certainly from an anectdotal standpoint. if ANYONE thinks this is the same texan team from '05 or even '06, then they're not watching the games.

and i've never argued they're a "good" team - i didn't think they were going to the playoffs this year, and really didn't think they had a chance to contend - not in this division. i thought all along 7-to-9 wins. but i wanted them to be a *better* 7-to-9-win team then they were last year.

and steeler game aside, i've been encouraged by what i've seen. they're getting better and better offensively, each and every week. once they cut down on turnovers, i'll - for the first time ever - be convinced they can score on anybody. still work to do defensively - this year is really about developing okoye, diles and bennett, pushing mario to the next level, etc. they just don't have the talent to be anything but, at best, average on defense.

4. Hey Now!

perhaps i was too subtle. my contention is that (a portion of) the texan-related bitterness is tied to their decision to keep carr and not draft vince young.

and no amount of denial will change my opinion. i witnessed the vitriol; i know how deep it ran. and as they deny it, they're busy starting threads about whether the texans should draft colt mccoy........

you're going to extrapolate one game, as well as use 6 games and compare them to 16, to make your point? really?

they're a better team. if you don't see that, i'm at a loss. otherwise, i thought your post was silly, agreed with none of it, and didn't bother to respond at all.

(no offense - you asked)

5. Hey Now!

[/shun]
    in my world, right or wrong or merely convenient, there's a grand canyon-sized difference between player motives, and how they're leveraged, and fan motives, which are ultimately irrelevant and meaningless.

here, i offer an apology: it was not meant to single you out; i feel that way in general - that it's A factor for a good # of people. and, really, given the tenor of the discourse that occurred throughtout the first two seasons, post-2006 draft, it's, imo of course, really hard to deny it doesn't linger...

now please put me back on ignore. and don't foget to tell everyone you're doing so because... man, does that burn coming from a guy with a fake name who i've never met....
    [shun]

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

and for those of us that never wanted Vince Young?

You're going to toss out your opinions, and have nothing, NOTHING, with which to back them up with? Now who's silly? If I can't see that they're a better team, you're at a loss. It's that obvious? If so.....why can't you back up your stance with specific points?? What are you seeing that I'm not?

What in my post was anything but actual facts? You don't agree that they are the second worst in the NFL right now in points allowed? That they're the absolute worst in turnover ratio? 6 games is 37% of the schedule....but you dismiss it out of hand.

You chastise those that don't agree with you....and yet you can't debate points straightforward, nor can you back up your claims with anything at all.

I'm sorry, but that's the very definition of someone who's full of hot air.

7. MadMax

thanks for the apology. :confused: or something.

ric, i didn't need to let others know you act like an ass around here....you communicate that pretty well on your own. the flamewars in this forum around the texans virtually always have you at the center. you may be a swell guy in person. i'll be irresponsible and assume you are.

8. Hey Now!

did you miss the "a portion of"... i didn't use a broad brush.

(uninterested sigh...) last year, they ranked 14th overall in offense; 22nd rushing and 11th passing. this year: 5th, 12th, 6th. they had two teams beat deep into the 4Q that last year beat them 3 times by a combined score of 105-56. they had a BRUTAL, nearly unprecedented opening stretch. they endured a hurricane that disrupted their schedule. they've gotten better in every. single. game. there's a good chance they'll have their first 3-game win streak this sunday, and a decent chance it'll stretch to 4 the following week.

and, anectodally, i'm enjoying this season more than any other because i keep seeing, more and more, major pieces emerge - like brown and slaton; walter and daniels uppingtheir game; mario maintaining last year's pace...

those are all concerns; i don't think i've ever argued they're *good* - better. and yes, 37% is less than 100%.

honestly?... you're not on my radar. no offense. most of my posts are aimed at a pretty small group of posters whose opinions/status i've come to respect.

honestly; i'm not trying to be mean - that's the truth. i ignore... 80+% of the posts in these threads. i'm a total elitist.

but you're on my list now, emjohn!!!!! congrats..... hope i don't disappoint you.

9. Hey Now!

[/shun]
    (he says in his 15th post in this thread alone...)

so it bears asking: where, pray tell, are you located during these flamewars, MM...? other than, obviously, above it all.

but you did, just for good measure, huh?...

and i'm an ass here? well you're a coward. cry, cry, cry then act aghast as soon as someone (me) calls you out on it, getting your feelings hurt and putting them (again: me) on ignore. "whatever," "you win," "i don't care" - ring any bells? they should because they're your default exit from any confrontation, regradless of the tenor.
    [shun]

10. MadMax

My feelings aren't hurt, ric. Thanks for your concern in that regard, but I could not care less what you think of me. I put you on ignore because you were irritating...not because you were hurtful. It's very difficult to have a conversation with you....hell, the conversation you're having with emjohn is exhibit "a" in that regard.

11. updawg

updawg Member

I find it very entertaining though :D

12. Astro101

Astro101 Member

13. GetRed

GetRed Member

Texans will win by two touchdowns! ;)

14. Hey Now!

put me on ignore, already; let's go. because whatever; i don't care - you win.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

so, about this Bengals game.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

maybe the bungles are so crappy that they don't warrant any further discussion pregame

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick ripped us apart. And then found a cure for cancer at halftime.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think you've got the wrong forum/thread ;)

I don't think I've ever seen this many posts in a Texans game thread by Thursday. Too bad only a few are about the upcoming game.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Sounds like chuck Norris to me

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i guess people were never dissapointed in the texans before baby vince, what an idiotic take