1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Bagwell HOF watch 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The ballot tracker is up and is closing in on 3 ballots. I feel like this is the year Bagwell goes in. This will be the thread to discuss the ballots for the 2017 class.

https://t.co/PQK7gmI3NQ

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This should be the year.

Last year should have been the year....

raining threes likes this.
  3. red

red Contributing Member

His first year on the ballot should of been the year

jsingles, msn and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Greatest Astro ever!!!

[​IMG]

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

6. the shark

the shark Member

Pathetic that he's still not in.

I've been to Cooperstown once. Will be there when Baggy is inducted. Should be on this ballot.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

BBWAA is the most inept organization associated with professional sports. They might be the most inept organization period. I would not hold my breath.

Bagwell is a HOFer no matter what the BBWAA as a whole says. Screw them. Baggy became a HOFer 5 years to the day after he retired. I don't need a bunch of writers to validate anything.

8. Buck Turgidson

He did everything Frank Thomas could do except Frank Thomas in the field and on the bases was like watching a monkey **** a bowling ball.

msn likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wake me up when it's the week of the announcement. My body was ready last year, only to be let down again. I look at the spreadsheet and see the one a** clown who didn't vote for Bags...but did vote for Edgar fu**ing Martinez and Manny Ramirez.

Much like staying far away from the news since election night, I'm going to try to avoid this until I hear good news.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

If he can't make it in this year, when there is literally no competition, it doesn't look good. But I think it looks good. He's generally considered a likeable dude and that will payoff. So this is probably the why not put Bagwell in year. I went for Biggio just to say I did it. Not sure that I will head up for Bagwell, but I just may do it.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Hopefully the voting base becomes more SABR friendly over time because Bagpipes just doesn't have the big numbers or awards that the typical HOF guys have.

12. msn

msn Member

How are we still even having this discussion?

The BBWAA lost all credibility, over and over again, every year they snub this guy. If they do it again this year, there may be no recovering their credibility.

So far, Tony Massarotti is showing as a complete incompetent who doesn't deserve his credentials. Let's hope that list is much shorter this year.

13. msn

msn Member

Massarotti:

"I vote with my eyes and my gut." "I regard [Bagwell] as a product of the era."

Hey dumbass: did your eyes watch Bagwell swing the bat? Or his plate discipline you rave about with other guys? Or his defense, or baserunning? Or that this "product of the era" was better than any 1B not named Pujols, and better than any NL first baseman ever before?

This clown voted for Frank Thomas in year one and still snubs Bagwell, who is head-and-shoulders the more complete player. Then he says you can't vote based on numbers, when Bagwell's and Thomas's numbers were identical until Bagwell's shoulder finally fell off and Thomas came back to play DH for another two years and pad his numbers.

It's morons like this that are ruining the "hall of fame".

Two Sandwiches and Houstunna like this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You're being generous saying 2 years at DH :)

1991 - 101 games at DH
    1998 - 146
    1999 - 82
    2000 - 127
    2001 - 16 (only played 19 games)
    2002 - 140
    2003 - 124
    2004 - 65 (only played 69)
    2005 - 28 (only played 28)
    2006 - 135
    2007 - 147
    2008 - 69 (only played 69)

So, he essentially played in 12 seasons in which the majority of his games were at DH. Bagwell played over 1100 games more at 1B than Thomas.

msn likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Way too many writers see 4 All-Star Games and 1 GG and think the other 10 years weren't great as well. And then of course he came up short of 500 HR and his lower averages when he became a one armed player dropped his career avg below .300.

Basically screwed by McGwire and the Coors inflated stats of Todd Helton and Andres Galaraga

#15 juicystream, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Frank has 500+ home runs and Bags does not.
    I still take Bags over Frank... but do writers view 500 more of a lock than Bags career?

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

And then he tries to defend his voting for Manny Ramirez (repeated steroid violations, could hit and nothing else) and Pudge (a more likely 'roid user than Bagwell) while calling Bags a 'product of the era'. What a jack@$$.

msn likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I honestly don't know what "a product of the era" means. He was only good because he played in that time? What a bunch of horses*** from a Boston writer obviously still salty that he didn't play for the Sox. If he had, would this jackass still not have voted for him?

19. msn

msn Member

leroy, "product of his era" means, "I'm too damned lazy to do the research about this guy, so I'm going to pontificate some bull**** about going by gut and by what my eyes tell me. I don't remember seeing him much on SportsCenter, and right now I have nasty gas from that grease burger I had at lunch, so I guess it's a thumbs down on the Barwell guy. Barfield? Bagwell... yeah, that guy."

leroy and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd love to see an independent committee analyze and dissect the BBWA's voting contingent (and call them out on all the non-sensical nonsense they spew), much the same way the BBWA members attempt to call out players or play the "morality" police without much basis or logic.