1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree with you about the "Top Guy". But I am fairly sure the brass is only going to get one top kind of guy at the trade deadline. That said, I have (overall) more concerns about the offense than the defense. Additionally, we did nothing to help the offense last off season.

Basically, to get a pitcher that moves the needle, it will probably be at the expense of bolstering the offense, and visa versa.

2. raining threes

This post says it all.

Gotta get an elite BP arm and an upgrade at C if they want to give themselves the best chance at winning a WS.

Nook likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

That 2 run "double" that Morton gave up to Marinara or whatever the hell his name is was 1000% on the shift. It was a routine fly ball to straightaway CF but the CF is playing rover in LF and Reddick had to run 50 yards just to get close.

The bullpen is what it is right now. The Stros know it, we know it, everyone around baseball knows that they are looking for a high leverage arm. The team we are watching today is not the team we will be watching in September.

Stros ran into a good A's team playing a stretch of very, very good baseball while the Stros are without Correa and have Altuve/Springer/Gattis/bullpen in a funk. It happens.

Not even the ASB yet, the sky is not falling. People talking about playoff matchups and sweeps and how the Stros can't compete are ****ing idiots.

texans1095 and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Pun intended

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think anybody is advocating for standing pat.

The Astros bullpen is not significantly better, but also not significantly worse, than the other contenders.

When you add starters that can become elite relievers to our formula, it still keeps our situation at an advantage.

6. conquistador#11

I like the shifts on the infield, not so much on the outfield. But I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

7. conquistador#11

then pray for me that my wife doesn't find my basement with all her pictures on the wall. But today was all about Mrs Texas, the blond. come on guys, keep up.

mick fry likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Yeah I hate leaving huge gaps in the OF like they do, but it's all situational to me, and I just wish they weren't so robotic about it. There are times (especially wrt the pitcher on the mound) that it just does not make sense, Davis' AB against Giles being the latest example, with a 4 run lead you play for the DP.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros have their formula and it's champion capable. We need Correa healthy with .880+ OPS.. Springer .850. Marwin's falloff should be expected, but we can't have the main players declining .075+ OPS from last season. Bregman leaped forward so that helps if Correa and George regress reasonably from last year. How much will Gattis regress 2nd half? If Tucker can perform at a positive WAR, the offense will be historic again.

texans1095 and The Beard like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I will say it again.....

KEMP MUST PLAY LEFT AND BAT 9th EVERYDAY!!!!

texans1095 likes this.
  11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Who are you thinking about from the Pirates?

Crick? Please don't tell me Felipe (Rivero) Vasquez lol

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Shame. That was a good pitch by morton on the double.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Marwin sucks at ss.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The As aren't that bad this season. They outplayed the Astros. I think they were real tired of losing to us, though. They probably wanted it more than we did.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Morton has stated several times he doesn’t want to go much longer, so something to prolong his career probably isn’t what he is looking for

Lance also doesn’t want to be a closer

Either would gladly do it in a playoff situation, but not as a career move

16. HTown2017Champs

Even with Correa hurt, he should not be in the everyday lineup. Too bad Kemp can't play SS or 3B. I'd send down White, bring up Davis, move Bregman to SS, and Davis to 3B (or 1B with Yuli at 3B) until Correa comes back. Marwin, despite a great season last year, has regressed back to a below average player. Last year was just a positive outlier, his value this year should be just as a utility/bench player.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

This effing pen

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Damn this pen is so suck. And now we get Harris.

I know morton wasnt sharp but this pen continues to kill us.

McHugh can go 4 or 5 innings easily. Wtf hinch?????

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

These guys straight up kicking our ass

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone want to tell him he's watching a game that ended 6 hours ago?