1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 8, 2016.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Is this lunhow on the radio ?

I'm normally ok with typical bs GM speak answers but these two in particular teased me a bit .

Really you have no idea why a team as dependent on power as our goes into slumps ?

I know you are only supposed to say positive things about your players but c'mon Jeff . Did you really just say he was good in the minors so you are sure he will adjust to the majors ?

The one about Gomez and Jake is the worst tho . How can AJ / you expect Jake to " heat up " if he isn't getting consistent at bats ?

I can't be too critical because we all expect GMs to say bs to our faces but it would be nice if he at least disguised the **** he is trying to shove down our throats .

Anyways big game for us tonight . I'm not worried about the Rangers , I just want to win games . If we can start winning series we will put ourselves in a good place for playoff positioning in September . The double wild card spot thingy helps too .

1 person likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was watching the Twins' broadcast and did not see where Gomez was when the ball was caught. It was a nice catch, but Kepler threw a one hopper weakly from a sitting position that was picked up by the cut off man who then threw to second for the out. Gomez was nowhere to be found in getting back to second base. Even Pettis would have had to be telling him to get back.

Just watched the replay again and Gomez was off with the hit. I strongly suspect he thought there were 2 outs.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

2 more weeks? Just to swing a bat? That's kinda my point...yes on the lineup you suggest but like...tonight. Tomorrow. If he's honestly not in good enough condition to contribute now I question at any other point this season. Is he coming off injury?

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

If you are referring to Gurriel his first game will be 08/16 or 08/17 against the Cardinals that is 1 week away. I think the poster above is referring to getting Valbuena back in the fold as well. Nothing is wrong with Gurriel. Just has to get timing down before facing MLB level pitching so the timeline has always been 08/16 or 8/17 as his debut barring something unforeseen. This is the Astros making sure he is as ready as possible to contribute so it is not Gurriel's fault as all reports say he is in perfect condition just needs to get timing back on the field and at the plate. I view this as his spring training and it will barely even be 3 weeks worth.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Roster move for Gomez. Wish we would see a bat up (maybe even two with Tucker going down but I guess not).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jandel Gustave just walked into the Astros clubhouse.</p>&mdash; Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/763476730808008704">August 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jandel Gustave just walked into the Astros clubhouse.</p>&mdash; Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/763476730808008704">August 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Am I the only one who feels we will one day see an Astros roster with 16 pitchers and 9 position players?

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I assume Gustave and Tucker are the moves for when Valbuena and Gurriel come up but I could be wrong. Bregman/Kemp in LF with Jake in CF and George in RF.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Given how sensitive they've been to easing Gurriell into the fold, it seems tailor-made for him to DH.

Bregman has shown an almost effortless defensive prowess; he's smooth as silk. I think they'll think long and hard before moving him.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros will/must stay firm on their quest for most pitchers ever on a roster.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I am sick of seeing Tucker get at bats. He has been absolutely dreadful.

13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Certainly looks that way. Maybe they expect Giles to hit paternity leave in the next day or two and will call a bat up then?

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

True. Thankfully we're not seeing him in the field too.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It's only 12/13.. unusual for the AL, but not ridiculous. Why the hate? Assuming this means Valbuena will be back soon or another move is coming soon

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

What hate?

And why didn't you question the poster who exaggerated 9/16? Dude's post was posted and quoted on this same page.

17. The Beard

You are assuming they would do the obvious though

Remember this is the same decision making group that kept Gonez in CF even when Jake was playing

There is no telling how they will handle it

18. The Beard

We have a catcher and two 1Bs as our bench

That's just not good roster building

Luhnow should be running the draft and not building the roster

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yeah--like I said, I assume another roster move is coming soon (Valbuena/Gurriel or otherwise) given that bench.

I don't know man, I just responded to what I saw. Exaggeration, I get it.. just that you were saying they were on a quest, as if there were numerous preceding moves, followed by this one. When, in fact, they're not even in an unheard of position right now...much less far down the path. Already forgotten :)

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I had to gouge out my left eye.

I will continue to inflict pain on myself every time I see Tucker's name in the lineup.

I think Bregman needs to stay at 3B when Gurriel arrives on the scene. Keep Gurriel at DH for a handful of games before making any decisions. Bregman has been too solid at third to rock the boat there.

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Correa
    Gurriel
    Valbuena
    Kemp
    Marisnick
    Castro/Gattis

I like that when they are all available.