1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 10, 2024.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not sure where you get your split stats, but I looked it up and found something totally different, so I went to his game log and verified

Coming into today for May he has hit .188/.289/.469, now if he could keep that .469 slugging for the rest of his career I suppose you could live with that, but a .289 on base is pathetic

And as i've addressed earlier, yes i fully understand that we have other issues, but the numbers he puts up for an everyday player is also a huge issue

Now, at 32 years old maybe he is about to turn the corner and be productive, personally I seriously doubt it, but who knows.

Alonso had an .822 OPS last year by the way, I know you are high on Jon and guys like Cabbage, but I also know you understand baseball and if given truth serum, there is no way you actually believe those two guys are in the same stratosphere.

Vladdy was .789

It's a nice story that Jon was out of MLB for 7 years and found a team that would give him a roster spot again. It's also nice of the Astros that after putting up a .531 OPS last year they brought him back and have increased his role. But even in this year where some think he has been good, he has more strikeouts than hits. For his career, in 526 at bats he has 194 K's, 93 hits and and 84 BBs, so if you combine his hits and walks he has 17 more K's

Hopefully the nice game today will be what turns his career in the right direction, but for some reason i'm not nearly as confident in that as some of yall are

ROCKSS, Stephen66 and Qan like this.
  2. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

I'd put Pena 2 with the way he's playing. He's earned it.

Altuve can slot in at 3 like in 2017 with Yordan hitting cleanup.

htownrox1 and The Beard like this.
  3. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I saw 'em on X and said "yall suck too!"

Willy92683 likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He has a .729 OPS (.326 OBP) for the season, and an .858 OPS (.333 OBP) since Abreu went away on April 28th (despite an unlucky .179 BABIP). 10 R and 10 RBI in 12 games.

I've never liked him and am still not sold on him as anything more than a fringe MLB bench bat , but it's grossly disingenuous to act like he "finally" had a good game today. He's been playing well and has earned a little look as the everyday guy.

#664 sealclubber1016, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Tomstro, Zen Tabak, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I'd lead off Altuve even with his terrible base running

6. The Beard

Was 189/289/469 going into yesterday since Abreu went out. So yes, if you believe he can keep that 469 slugging going, that’s a decent OPS. There’s nothing in his major league past that says he will, but strange things do happen in baseball. I hope the guy does great I really do, hell I even routed for Carlos Gomez to do well. I am obviously not going to agree with anyone on here about Singleton, so my last word on it will be this. if we are rooting for a lesser version of Chris Carter while we try to make a run to another World Series, I am not sure we are doing it right

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Man it felt good to take the series, second time this year JV has come in and done a masterful performance and the Astros looked as they should, offense finally got going and piled it on late...............that felt good

The Beard likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Your selected line conveniently leaves out the last game of April where he had a walk and a big 3 run homer.

You suggested he hasn't been playing well before yesterday, that is objectively not true. Will he keep playing well, doubt it, but he has been. It's OK to give him credit for that.

IBTL and Zen Tabak like this.
  9. The Beard

Ok cool, we have a different vision on what playing well is I suppose. Also, I didn't conveniently leave anything out, I was replying to a post that quoted since May 1, so that's what I looked up and the numbers were different. That's all.

Adding that game in and yesterday's does give you a .525 slugging, which on it's own looks great. Other than the 4 HRs though, he has no other extra base hits in those 47 at bats. So he connected great those 4 times and otherwise hasn't really driven the ball. I'm not sure that is sustainable? Also, during this "good" stretch, he has as many strikeouts as hits, 9 of each.

This is way too much discussion on Big Jon, I was never trying to say he was our biggest issue. I just don't see what most of yall see in him, even if you do look at his last 47 at bats and like what you see, looking at it analytically there is nothing to say even that is sustainable. But the bigger picture I think is i'm just not in love with the HR or K aspect of his game. It very much reminds me of the type of player we went after in the years right before we got really good

I'll stick to my word now and won't replay about Jon again (unless it's to say something good)

10. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Did you channel your inner BoB on that one? "You suck too mother****er! You suck too!"

Stephen66 likes this.
  11. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

and he's not dropping infield pop-ups like a dunce or watching the ball go past him into the dugout, so that's nice too

The Beard likes this.
  12. The Beard

I don't know you Zen

But my guess is you could play a better 1B than Abreu

Zen Tabak and ROCKSS like this.
  13. raining threes

There's a good chance Loperfido could be playing a lot of 1B at some point this year.

The Beard likes this.
  14. The Beard

He has certainly handled himself well so far

I hope he gets a start in all 4 of these Oakland games, regardless of position.

With Chas likely back in the next day or two though, it's not likely he starts all 4

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Brown said Chas will get about 4 rehab starts, so he's probably back after the Oakland Series or game 4 at the earliest.

The Beard likes this.
  16. The Beard

You will probably correct, but sometimes Dana speaks before he is actually told what the organization is going to do