1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 10, 2018.

1. HTown2017Champs

I love Reddick, and his energy, patriotism, defense, etc. and all, but this offseason, I'd like to try and unload him to cut down salary. Hand RF over to Tucker, LF can go to Kemp. Jake remains the 4th OF.

SLRokJok likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Harris has very quietly rebounded nicely: 1.90 FIP in his last 23.2 IP, including a current scoreless streak of 8.2 innings in which he's allowed 2 Hs, 2 BBs and 10 Ks.

Of those 23.2 IP, 19 have been scoreless. Take out an ugly 4R outing v LAA, and his ERA is 1.56.

Hinch is going to have some *tough* cuts for the postseason.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ugh... I hope having Altuve sit doesn't hurt us. We need a sweep.

everyday eddie and seemoreroyals like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

now someone else is getting the day off

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not really that tough.

You merely need to look at where Hinch is using the pitchers. Harris was brought in during the 5th inning last night.... while McHugh/Peacock/Pressly/Rondon/Osuna have all gotten chances post 7th inning on a semi-regular basis.

Its also part of Harris' MO to be better when the stakes are less... and worse when the stakes are higher.

Devenski is also persona non grata.... maybe he should consider trying to go back to starting.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I saw that article yesterday. What it didn't say was how many innings/games constituted each category/situation. What I wanted to look for was to see if a correlation exists between how often each leverage category was faced and how good you were at it. Put another way, I wanted to see if the leaders in each category also had the most usage in that category.

I guess the thought I had was that maybe the A's were best in high-leverage because they face high leverage situations more often than others and therefore have adapted to handling those situations better than others.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-oakland-bullpen-has-been-a-borderline-miracle/

Nook likes this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Not bad an all RH lineup against a left handed pitcher. Although I too would have preferred Altuve instead of Gurriel at 2B as Altuve seemed to be getting his stroke back with the HR and other good at bats last night. We need to make sure he is in rhythm for the playoff run. He is definitely the sparkplug for the team.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Hate seeing gattis in the lineup

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bottom third of that lineup. Dang...

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We’d have to eat most of his salary to get someone to take Redick off our hands. No one wants an aging OF with 2yrs left at 14M per year and an OPS in the .600’s, no matter how good his defense and intangibles are.

11. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

You can’t extend your argument out as far as it fits your hypothesis. Even if you knew their plan(you don’t)it still wouldn’t matter because if the A’s weren’t on our ass there wouldn’t be a specific plan as to who is going to rest this game and that game. They’d just platoon rest them. So in effect, the A’s could be impacting our repeat chances without even being in the playoffs, which was my original point.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. its pretty simple. the astros have their their days where they give their guys rest regardless of what's happening with the A's or anyone else. that's the point.

13. jcee15

Bregman has been human this series.

14. jcee15

Youre stupid

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but the A's are preventing Hou from resting Tuve and Springer :rolleyes:

16. HTown2017Champs

Looks like White is the primary 1B against lefties, which makes sense as Gattis does better against lefties than righties (not that it says much) and Hinch still wants him to have some playing time. This also allows Gurriel to play other positions as Hinch wants him to become a utility player. Not at all inconceivable Gattis is left off the ALDS roster if we play Cleveland, their rotation is very strong and all right handed. I advocate Tucker, Reed, or Fisher LHPH option against Cleveland. Of course you all think I'm crazy, but I believe that we will need that. Whatever the case, they won't get any starts, and may end up like White in the 2017 ALDS, who was on the roster but never got any playing time.

17. HTown2017Champs

Please don't let this error haunt us.
    Edit: At least White kept the runner out of scoring position. No chance to turn two, but you need the force at second. Too bad it came down to that, though.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Reed? Who hasn't played in the majors in months?

19. HTown2017Champs

Or Alvarez or Stubbs, but I know Luhnow does not want to start their service clocks just to (mostly) sit on the bench. This is why I wanted to go after Grandy or Smoak at the deadline, the Indians are tough for righties to hit.

20. jcee15

Since I don’t know their resting schedule and neither do you I will make an appeal to authority here and again defer to what Blummer said (He brought up the A’s and our ability to rest players).