1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Mar 3, 2010.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Closer predictions?

Lindstrom, Lyon, or committee?

2. HookemHorns1250

Lindstrom definitely. Mainly since Lyon is still shaking the rust off, and Lindstrom has yet to give up a run this spring training. Or at least that's how I hope it turns out.

3. RocketMania1991

Last I heard Lance was striving for an opening day start ?
    Any clarification on his situation ?

4. HookemHorns1250

He's shooting for it, but I think he'll be more cautious about it. However, the injury is supposed to be the type that should not have any lingering problems what so ever, just has to get his knee back to shape.

I would love to see him there for opening day, but I don't want him to rush back too quickly. Maybe miss the first game or two and be ready for the Phillies series.

5. msn

msn Member

They can DL him "retroactively" and he could start, IIRC, the second game of the Phils series.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I really hope we can unload him at the deadline for some prospects.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think I have the same problem. Granted, I'm not a major league pitcher, but it is manageable. Hurts like hell when it flares up and it does cause issues in your leg.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

@BernardoFallas: Astros make 9 moves. Jason Castro reassigned; Wilton Lopez, Edwin Maysonet optioned. #hounews

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[rquoter]Astros option RHP Wilton Lopez, IF Edwin Maysonet to Minor League camp immediately. C Jason Castro and RHP Casey Daigle reassigned to Minor League camp. RHPs Gary Majewski, Gustavo Chacin, IF Drew Meyer, 1B Chris Shelton and C Kevin Cash reassigned to Minor League camp, but will play for team through end of spring.[/rquoter]

I really wanted Daigle on the ML club. He pitched well in AAA last year, and has been great in ST. He is at least as good as Moehler.

11. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Chron just reported it's Lindstrom. Sweet.

12. RocketMania1991

Albert Pujols salivates at the thought of contact with a 102 MPH fastball.

13. HookemHorns1250

Yep good news there.

I read the projected lineup on Astros.com, and it had Bourn/Kaz/Berkman hitting 1,2,3. I really wish they would change that up. I wish they'd make it.

1. Bourn.
    2. Kaz
    3. Pence
    4. Berkman
    5. Lee

This way, you would break up the Lefty/Switch/Switch 1,2,3 to start off our lineup. Plus, it would allow Hunter to get some better looks with Berkman/Lee hitting behind him. Oh well, just a thought.

14. Major

Major Member

So our $15MM closer didn't even make it out of his first spring training as the closer? Nice.

15. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I've thought that before too. It'd be nice with Pence's speed to have someone with some pop hitting behind him.

We may get to see a little of that if Berkman misses the first few games. If he's smart, he'll sit out the Giants series altogether. Lincecum and Cain is a tough way to start the year.

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I fixed it for you. :grin:

17. HookemHorns1250

Yeah, I guess Mills will go with a lineup of...

CF - Bourn
    2B - Kaz
    RF - Hunter
    LF - Lee
    1B - Blummer
    3B - Pedro
    C - J.R.
    SS - Tommy
    P - Roy

Or something along those lines. I always like having at least a semi quick 8 hitter that can possibly beat out some ground balls to allow the pitcher to bat that inning and get him out of the way.

Going to be a tough series with Tim/Cain/Zito if that's who they go with as their 3rd, either him or Sanchez.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I guess it's just the whole "hope Springs eternal" thing because I still feel pretty good about this season. I have a few reasons...

1. I don't think the pitching is going to be nearly as bad as many project. Oswalt might be the dominating Roy we hope he get to, but he's still good for a low 3 era and 15 wins. I'm not expecting Wandy to improve much more than what he did last year. Maintaining that would be fantastic. If Meyers can stay healthy and be consistent, the rotation should be able to manage with the likely ups and downs from Norris & Paulino/Moehler.

2. I see Lindstrom actually becoming a good closer. If he's got that slider working, it will be impossible for hitters to simply be looking fastball.

3. Catching...I'm not concerned here either because I think Castro will be up in a matter of 2 months. If he goes and destroys AAA pitching, I'm predicting that Quintero, not Towles, gets released.

4. Offense...It's an even #'ed year, so, in theory, Berkman will be Berkman again. I'm also expecting Pence to have a big year. Hopefully, he'll be able to maintain it over the course of the full season. The 3 in the middle of Pence, Berkman, and Lee could crush pitching. Combine them with Bourne, a still productive Feliz, and hopefully Castro and you've got a good lineup. We shouldn't need to get much out of Manzella other than defense. If he hits anything above .250, I'd be happy.

5. Management...By all accounts, Brad Mills is the man for the job. We'll see how his in-game management is, but it sounds like the clubhouse is much better off than under the previous regime.

I don't know if they're going to win the division. However, I don't expect much out of STL or the Cubs. I don't see why we couldn't at lease compete for the wild card. A winning record is not out of the question if things fall right. If Mills can figure out how to put it all together, I think we're in for a better season than most of you are predicting.

[/spring time optimism]

1 person likes this.
  19. RocketMania1991

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have to assume Johnson is only on the team until Berkman comes back. I wonder who loses their spot when Arias returns.

[rquoter]CATCHERS (2) -- J.R. Towles, Humberto Quintero.

INFIELDERS (6) -- Geoff Blum, Kaz Matsui, Tommy Manzella, Pedro Feliz, Jeff Keppinger, Chris Johnson.

OUTFIELDERS (5) -- Carlos Lee, Michael Bourn, Hunter Pence, Jason Michaels, Cory Sullivan.

PITCHING STAFF (12) -- Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez, Brett Myers, Bud Norris, Felipe Paulino, Brian Moehler, Jeff Fulchino, Sammy Gervacio, Chris Sampson, Tim Byrdak, Matt Lindstrom, Brandon Lyon.

DISABLED LIST (3) -- Lance Berkman, Alberto Arias, Yorman Bazardo.[/rquoter]

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/