1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

Astros acquire Keppinger from Reds

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Houston Astros have acquired infielder Jeff Keppinger from the Cincinnati Reds for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
    Keppinger, who turns 29 on April 21, hit .266 with three home runs and 43 RBIs over 121 games for Cincinnati in 2008.

He struck out just once every 20.9 plate appearances, the best ratio in the Major Leagues last season.

Keppinger will serve as a right-handed complement to Geoff Blum at third base, but he can also count on seeing playing time at short and second as well.

"He gives us a guy with experience all around the infield," general manager Ed Wade said. "He's somebody who's played a lot at second, short and third. He'll certainly be a factor at third with [Aaron] Boone out."

"He doesn't strike out a lot," Wade added. "He's a rare player who has more walks than strikeouts every season. He's a contact hitter, a blue-collar player and he fits perfectly on our club."

Additionally, the Astros optioned infielder Edwin Maysonet to Triple-A Round Rock.

2. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

I couldn't start a new thread, minor trade.
    Probably going to be back up to miggy.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

seems like that's the only thing he does well. i need at least a skosh of power out of my 3b. he has none.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

i guess he isn't necessarily going to be playing 3B for us though.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

So um, what was wrong with Ty Wiggington again?

:rolleyes:

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He hits lefties really well -- .901 OPS in 2008 and .986 OPS in 2007. That's pretty much his role at 3B.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

do we have to continue to rehash this? He would have gotten a lot more in arbitration. He wasn't worth that. He ended up getting a lot less on the open market.

8. right1

right1 Member

No power. No speed. But...

Keppinger did have a whopping .350 AVG and .410 OBP in 2007 split b/t AAA and the Cincinnati Reds (241 AB's with the big club :eek: ) which has been consistent throughout his minor league career. He wasn't that great in '08, however, with a .266 AVG and a .310 OBP :( .

In fact, in around 1000 At-Bats at the AAA level, Jeff Kepinger is hitting around .335 AVG. :) After looking at his numbers a little more closely, Astros could have a steal here, despite the lack of power and speed. Not sure about the glove :confused: Anyone?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't know exactly, but he's been a SS for a majority of his career. In theory, he should be good with the glove with the move to 3B.

10. right1

right1 Member

I was interested in looking at stats for Wade Boggs for some reason. wanted to see his career avg. and obp. and holy crraa? He was even better than I remembered!

As for Keppinger, the guy simply does not strike out.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Is tonight's game on TV? My schedule says Fox Sports Houston, but I can't find it on Dish.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

so what is still left to decide on this roster?

SP: roy, wandy, moehler, ortiz, hampton (#5 likely to start season in AAA)
    RP: valverde, geary, wright, brocail, hawkins, byrdak, sampson

berkman, matsui, blum, pudge, tejada, pence, lee, bourn
    erstad, smith, michaels, keppinger, quintero

that's 25...i guess capellan may start the season here and be used for long relief until they need the 5th starter? am i missing anything?

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Forgive me, I didn't follow the story all that closely. Just knew that he was signed for pretty cheap elsewhere and we let him go. Is baseball not like the NFL where you can make an offer to a guy on the open market even though you released him in the first place?

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Ortiz was pitching a gem through 5 innings then gave up a 3-run dinger to Chipper in the 6th.

Astros still up 4-3 heading to the bottom of the 6th.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Lee just went deep. He's 2-for-3 with 4 RBI. Astros lead 8-3.

Erstad is 3-3 with 2R and a BB.

Pudge is 2-3 with a R and 2 RBI.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros' roster appears to be set

CATCHERS (2)
    Humberto Quintero
    Ivan Rodriguez

INFIELDERS (6)
    Lance Berkman
    Kaz Matsui
    Miguel Tejada
    Jeff Keppinger
    Geoff Blum
    Jason Smith

OUTFIELDERS (5)
    Carlos Lee
    Hunter Pence
    Michael Bourn
    Jason Michaels
    Darin Erstad

STARTING PITCHING (5)
    Roy Oswalt
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Mike Hampton
    Brian Moehler
    Russ Ortiz

BULLPEN (7)
    Wesley Wright
    Tim Byrdak
    Chris Sampson
    Geoff Geary
    LaTroy Hawkins
    Doug Brocail
    Jose Valverde

17. The Cat

I'd sign recently-released Dallas McPherson or Mike Lamb in a heartbeat, plug them into the left-handed part of the 3B platoon and send Blum to the Jason Smith super-utility role. A McPherson/Lamb with Keppinger platoon might actually get you a .800 OPS at 3B, which would be a huge boost from the Blum/Boone combination we were expecting over the offseason.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I agree about McPherson, but not so sure about Lamb. He's been cut by 2 teams since he's left Houston, and was pretty horrible last season.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the guy. His glove was never good, but his bat was fine in 07 and 06. He had a good year for us in 04 before disappointing in 05. It's very possible that 08 was another 05 for him, and he'll rebound for another good season or 2 like he did his last 2 seasons in Houston.

20. The Cat

It's one year - people have fluke seasons in this sport all the time, especially when they're out of their comfort zones and playing on a part-time basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.