1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rockies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He gets paid more than Albert Pujols..

End of story...

1 person likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Pujols signed earlier and well before free agency - I'm not sure that's a useful comparison. Lots of players gets paid more than Ryan Braun, but that doesn't mean they are all bad contracts. Pujols, in the current market, would be paid probably somewhere near $30MM/year. That's the basis of comparison - Lee's *still* overpaid using that basis, but you can't use the fact that Pujols is current relatively cheap as the comparison.

3. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Thats Albert's fault for signing so far into his free agency years. Carlos played the market better, but I agree with your logic. Carlos "Fat" Lee IS VASTLY OVERPAID. We can all blame Tim Poopura for backloading the deal where we pay Carlos 18.5 million dollars each year through the years 2009 to 2012, which is 78 percent of the whole deal in just 4 years! If the deal was spread out through all six years, it would be 16.7 million a year which would give us nearly two million each of the four years. We could spend that to go overslot and nab JaCoby Jones! The deal was bananas anyways, but he actually took a "paycut" when he came to Houston. I believe the Giants almost gave him 120 million over 7 years. The Giants instead signed the laughable Zito and very questionable Aaron Rowand deals.

4. htownplaya

htownplaya Member

The astros are one of the hottest teams in the league!

5. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

I've been real impressed with Paulino's last few starts. He's gone deep into the game and pitched well at that! A vast departure from barely making it out of the 5th inning or to the 5th inning.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Few? His last five starts have been quality starts. See.

You sir are a hard man to please.

7. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Thats an honest mistake, so you may be the one who is hard to please my man.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Oddly enough we are only a game behind the 2005 Astros.

#108 juicystream, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  9. juicystream

The walks are still a big concern. He has already has more this year than he had last year in 20 fewer innings.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Since I posted a pic of the tombstone they've been on FIREEEE...dam tombstone works I guess.

11. rockets934life

Effectively wild...

[​IMG]

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I remember going to an afternoon game on Memorial Day weekend that year, and Jose Mesa came in to blow a solid outing by Roger. We looked to be on the way to a wasted season...they started reeling in wins shortly after that.

But this team has nowhere near that talent and isn't coming off a an NLCS appearance. It's actually discouraging to see them on a run because that just means Drayton and co. are just going to cling to hope even longer before changing their philosophy. If we don't end up trading Oswalt and especially flip Myers for prospects, assuming he keeps up his performance, I will be disgusted.

13. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Definitely I would be disgusted too. If the market isn't great however toward the deadline, I could see Drayton hold onto him, hoping a year off Roy's contract would attract more teams, so we get better value. Its crazy how upside down this situation is. Usually when talking about a proven ace/number 2 being traded, waiting a year and taking a year off their current deal would hurt trade value.

In this case, Roy's contract isn't desirable to many teams, so taking a year off it might make him a little more attractive to teams. I'm not exactly sure though. Just a hunch.

14. juicystream

Jose Mesa? Jose Mesa didn't pitch for us.

15. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

I don't know who he is thinking about. LOL Maybe Ezequiel Astacio is who he is thinking but he mostly started though. We got him in the Wagner trade. Ed Wade ripped us off. The one great trade Ed Wade made. haha

16. rockets934life

Except when Wags faced Biggio, still remember that game in Philly where Craig made Wags his B%^ch.

17. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

No doubt. That was to clinch the Wild Card right? I just was saying we didn't get very good value in Brandon Duckworthless, Zek Astacio and Taylor Buchholz. Bidge made him pay big.

18. rockets934life

Don't think it was a clincher but I do think it was a crucial game in September. No doubt, the trade did not go as planned...hated it then and still do now but oh well I guess.

19. juicystream

The game Roger started on Memorial day 2005, Roger left after 8 innings with us down 2-0. John Franco came in and gave 3 straight singles. Russ Springer followed by giving up 2 singles, a walk, and finally a HR. Chad Qualls then came in to get the final 2 outs and we lost 9-0.

Memorial weekend 2004, Dotel gave up a 10th inning run to lose the game to the Cards. Once again Roger left in line for the L, as the Astros were down 1-0, but scored 1 in the ninth to tie it.

Over 5 years, it has probably become a blur.

20. juicystream

September 7th, 2005. Considering we finished one game up on the Phillies, it was huge.