1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rockies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 7, 2010.

1. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Lets just hope Keppy stays healthy. 3rd place, here we come lol

2. msn

msn Member

haha! and Mitch Meluskey, and Gerald Young, and Tim Redding...

3. msn

msn Member

hey, I would *love* to finish in 3rd place after starting like that. :)

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As long as he keeps it up. He actually reminds me of when we had Mark Loretta. My post was more about the failings of Chris Burke who was supposed to give us a seamless transition at 2B. Of course he never lived up to what is still the biggest signing bonus in club history. I think he contributes to why Drayton doesn't like spending in the draft.

5. juicystream

Scott Elarton, Wade Miller, Carlos Hernandez, and 100 other players in team history. Baseball is such a crapshoot with players that get injured, suck, or somehow just start losing it.

6. msn

msn Member

minus that .400 August (or was it September?) Loretta had that one year. Beauty.

7. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Agreed. I want Rendon though. I'm torn..

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That's a good point. It certainly didn't give him any confidence.

In all likelihood, we're looking at a top 5 pick next season, possibly top 3. That means spending big bucks if we ignore signability and really go after BPA. Assuming we sign the majority of our picks over the next couple of months, we'll have 3 high volume drafts under our belts. It'll be time to go after a big fish or 2 in the next draft, even if it means sacrificing some overall volume to stay within the draft budget.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sure hope Paulino looks good again tonight, having this guy "get it" would be a nice step to take for the club and obviously himself.

10. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

He has killer stuff, just needs to harness it. I'm wondering if his sinker/slider will have the bite he needs it to in the Denver air. Hopefully the last few starts have given him the confidence he's been lacking to this point in his career.

11. rockets934life

Yea, any breaking stuff is always a crap shoot at Coors but that ballpark has me baffled somewhat. Is it a hitters park still or has it been converted to somewhere in the middle. I don't see the wild games anymore and the hitters aren't putting up nearly as many stats yet the pitching, with the exception of UJ, is still below average.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Gerald Young is a great guy. He does private hitting instruction at Baseball USA. I've taken my son to learn from him a few times. It's freaking awesome just to watch him hit in the cage.

13. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I guess the humidor and the decrease in PEDs league wide may both be contributors.

14. msn

msn Member

too cool.

my favorite GY moment: someone hit a towering fly during an away game (don't remember who/where anymore), and GY watches it go up. Then he nonchalantly took a couple steps forward and just stood there, hands on his hips. Then, at nearly the last second, he flipped his glove out waist high, one hand still on his hip, and the ball plopped in. Now, I know that's kind of a bush league stunt, but I laughed my arse off regardless.

15. rockets934life

I used to love watching the late 80's outfield of Hatcher, Young and Bass track fly balls down in the dome.

16. msn

msn Member

Good times! And Doran-Reynolds-Davis double plays!

17. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Great play by Q. Who would have thought Quintero could be the one to keep Castro in Triple A instead of Castro himself?

18. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

DING DING

19. juicystream

Quintero has turned out to be a solid backup catcher. Too bad he's had to be a starter so much for us. I'm happy with him as the bridge to Castro. I really want Castro up so Cash can be DFA'd.

20. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Cash is doing his job decently. He handles pitchers better than Towles. Roy hasn't called him out. haha