1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, that was tough. Frustrating series....even beyond frustrating at times.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It was a nice hit on a low pitch brah... Acting like the Red Sox destroyed the Astros. Just days after sweeping the defending AL champs and the team with the best winning percentage at the time.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hinch: &quot;We have a new series, new city tomorrow, new strike zone.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/617821598486274048">July 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. tws011

tws011 Member

sipp ya deep throatin mother ****er!

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you actually see the pitch he gave up the HR ball on???

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Probably an out in most places.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, not Houston.

It sucks that the one guy he was brought in for (Ortiz) worked him for a walk. It's what good hitters do (foul off pitches and basically shrink the strike zone to a microcosm of what it was).

Hinch had two options at that point... Leave Sipp in or bring in Neshek. Big panda being on deck also likely played into his thinking.

And in the end, Hanley one arms a pitch at the ankles for a game winning HR.

Beyond frustrating, but not earth-shattering. Also beyond frustrating includes Chris Carter both ways... But with Singleton up, at least they have the option to sit him more some.

8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Geez and the Angels have absolutely demolished the Rangers in their series

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Strike Zone was consistent both ways.

Sucks losing this series, Stros almost had it.

The last games 2 really sucked. Buchholz hadn't pitched a complete game all year. Then, the bullpen serves it today.

Tough series, but Astros can quickly make a mends starting tomorrow.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

frustrating series, esp the 2 losses. But the talk of issues suddenly being exposed is silly.

The need for a SP continues to be highlighted, though. Lance is going to have days like this. I'm really excited that he got through 5 even on a really tough day.. but I wish Kazmir was in the rotation as well.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Going back to June 7, our bullpen aside from Gregerson has been really bad overall. I'm not the type that just ignores unearned runs.

Neshek 6 R 10.1 IP
    Harris 5 R 12 IP
    Sipp 6 R 10.2 IP
    Fields 6 R 12 IP
    Qualls 4 R 4.1 IP

Now before this rough stretch, Neshek, Harris and Sipp were all significantly outperforming their FIP. I'm hoping this is just regression, and not these guys starting to suck.

I'm not ready to panic just yet. I still like our bullpen, even Sipp who has become the new whipping boy with Qualls gone. This is a situation that needs to be watched though. If it hasn't stabilized it may become a trade deadline issue.

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

On to the next series.

I'm getting worried about the Astros' division lead.

13. AUstrofan

AUstrofan Member

There's not enough guys in the lineup making steady contact. It's top heavy with sluggers and many of those are on the downward curve right now. The need for another starting pitcher is evident. McCullers and Vasquez are great talent, but are throwing way too many pitches. Straily doesn't look ready. I think our bullpen is decent in the later innings, but with our starters issues finding the strike zone are being asked to go more innings than they they need to. Singleton just seems overkill in this lineup. Pitching is a priority, but I'd like to see them look at a solid on base bat in the order as well.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

IIRC, this is our 3rd loss this season when hitting multi-HRs
    First 2 were @CHI during those 7 straight losses

Astros will be okay. Bullpen just needs to improve a little. Not as good as earlier, just better than recently. Correa's bat can offset Springer, but we need one more hitter to step up. Lowrie's return is soon but where will he play?

15. Mattician

Mattician Member

That's what I've been wondering.

16. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

He'll be the utility guy that Marwin was most of the season, playing third and first primarily, with the occasional days at 2nd and SS to give Altuve and Correa breaks.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The lead was down to 1.5 games during their 7 game losing streak. Directly after that, they pushed it back up to 5. Unless you're trotting an All-Star pitching rotation out there, it's very difficult to not let your division lead waver. I'm actually thrilled that we're 6 days into July with a multiple game lead. I was afraid we would have relinquished the lead by now.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was never really worried about the Rangers... but unfortunately, the team that is most expected to win the division (Angels) is getting hot right now (around the same time they've gotten hot in previous seasons), while the Astros just lost their best run creator for an extended stretch (excluding Correa who is on a rapid pace to take over that title).

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The bullpen is what concerns me currently.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And I think Boston's issue is more pitching, not necessarily offense (especially in Fenway). What astounded me... did Ortiz-Ramirez-Sandoval bat *every* inning? It sure felt like every time they put a runner on, those three came up.