1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official}Astros or former Astros named in Mitchell report

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

This is just a dog and pony show that will start a flurry of lawsuits due to the lack of pure evidence. This report is hearsay and gossip.

Now I am not saying that none of these players listed did or did not use steroids but lets move on and just punish those that fail tests from now on.

2. Major

Major Member

Except it's not. From most reports, there's much more documentation in there than people expected. Money trails, paper trails, etc.

3. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/pdf/071213/mitchell_report.pdf

Page 124 of the Mitchell report:

Similarly, in an article that appeared in early August, days before stories first appeared about Mark McGwire’s use of androstenedione, then-Milwaukee Brewers manager Phil Garner told a reporter of his first-hand knowledge of a player’s steroid use:

There was one kid, 27, who was cycling steroids, and I asked him, ‘Do
    you realize you could need an artificial heart when you’re 40 years
    old?’. . . He said, ‘I don’t care what happens at 40. All I want to do is be
    the biggest, baddest, guy I can be right now.
    ’229

In his interview with our investigation, Garner acknowledged that he had known one major league player who used steroids while playing for him, but Garner refused to identify the player because it was more than five years prior to the interview and Garner did not believe it was necessary for this investigation to look that far back in time.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Stephen Randolph??!!? :eek:
    Ron Villone??

(p. 206)

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Looks like Stephen Randolph and Tejada are the only current Astros mentioned. I saw Greg Zaun and another former small time player mentioned.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

A section that should make Astros fans angry is the one about Kevin Brown. He used HGH in 2001. There's no evidence that he was juicing when he beat the Astros in the 1998 playoffs, but it still hurts to know that the Astros best season was ended by a cheater.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if it was more than 5 years back, then it would have been with the brewers...not with the astros.

8. juicystream

They have copies of checks and notes written in there. A lot of players though only appeared because their names came up in investigations. There is also a great deal of detail in the report.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just did a search of the entire report (pdf format) and I get no Bagwell hits. Unless it is some weird format, his name isn't on the list. I don't have time now to read the whole thing....but if it isn't on there, THAT'S AWESOME.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

We can't rewrite the champions of the past. If you DQ'd every performance enhancing drug user from the record books...that book would be wiped out.

Let's just acknowledge that steroids have stained the MLB legacy. There's no way to punish each player in the report equally. Some players are still playing, some are retired, some have passed. It won't be fair to suspend current players. What is the equivalent to those who are no longer active in the league? Come up with a better test and procedure today and move on.

With that being said, I can't believe what DUMB decision it was by Ed Wade to trade for Tejada BEFORE this report. He has the potential to be suspended.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went through and searched for "Astros" in the report. Here's the list I came up with:

Roger Clemens
    Andy Pettitte
    Ken Caminiti (RIP) -- there's a lot on him with the Astros, including a shipment at a hotel that an equipment manager opened
    Stephen Randolph
    Gregg Zaun
    Chris Donnels
    Ron Villone

And I suppose throw in Miguel Tejada

12. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No positive test, no suspension.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't imagine them being suspended because they were named in this report. The collective bargaining agreement allows for suspension based on failing drug tests.

14. juicystream

Ron Villone and Chris Donnels were other former Astros that were mentioned.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

its because you were to big of a homer to see the truth. i was bashed big time when i posted that i thought he used roids a while back.

how hard was it to figure out? he was Caminiti's good friend. We all know he atleast used andro. All you have to do was look at the numbers he put up in his MVP year to know that something shady went down.

Luis Gonzales used roids too and Im sure Steve Finley was in on it too.

16. juicystream

Explain that to the players recently suspended because of sufficient evidence.

17. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Hey man, this is like a 450 page report, I am looking for anybody who has been with the Stros and is indirectly or directly involved. Take it for what's its worth.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's not true. Selig already stated that discipline will be meted out based on the evidence.

19. JPM0016

nope, bagwell, luis and finley DID NOT make the list

20. JPM0016

and without a positve test he'll ultimately lose