1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

People will rejoice when the Astros start handing out deals like this. I expect it will not be for a pitcher or a 29-year old hitter so dependent on power.

2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm starting to believe that Drellich's "sources" are not human beings. He must be trying trades on his PS4 and when one works, he tweets it as a rumor.

I'll take Berman and McTaggarts info as much more realistic than that hack for the Chron.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Drellich, the ever reliable hack. Made sure to put it out there that the Astros were willing to trade Springer, even put it in the headline. As if every player isn't available for the right price. Gotta make sure that is seems as though they are having active discussions.

Between him and Pancakes we got some next level garbage when it comes to writers.

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Yup. That garbage is all over Bleacher Report. Not sure if any good can come out of blasting that out there, other than getting Drellich some clicks. Such a chump.

5. Major

Major Member

In other words, they want to make a major move but would probably settle for not making a major move. Getting a lefty and a very good setup man - while losing Perez and Sipp - is not a major move. It's not even a move at all.

So yeah, my statements hold. You can't say "they are going to make a major move" and then say "but they'll settle for a setup man to replace their other setup man".

Of course, I never made any such claim. I said the Astros' ability to make moves are dependent on the prices of players - whether in $ or in prospects. You can't say they are going to make a major move and then say it depends on the market. So far, everyone has been too expensive for the Astros, whether in free agency or trade. That may remain true. In that case, they are going to have to make a decision on whether to not make a major move or "overpay" in their mind.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The choices aren't to overpay for a major move vs. not make one. There's also the other angle--which I have to assume is where they're headed--that says that the market will come down when some of the major holes have been filled out there, and guys (whether FAs or GMs in trades) will be willing to settle to get something done.

7. Major

Major Member

Do people even read the posts they reply to? :confused: I never said those were the two choices. No one has any idea whether the market will come down or who will be available at that point. If it was known that the market would come down, no one would pay now. The market may come down - or it may stay the same or even go up. I said that in the latter scenarios, the Astros will have to decide whether to raise their offers or not make a move.

The Astros are gambling that the market comes down - nothing wrong with that. But people need to grasp that it comes with risk that the players they want will be off the table or cost more later. Just saying "they will make a move when the price is right" doesn't work - the price may never actually be right and they simply may not be able or willing to make a major move.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Cubs showing interest in acquiring Carlos Gomez. I'd say dump that bag of trash

9. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I think Gomez is due for a big season. His BABIP was awful last year and he was injured. Give me a healthy Gomez in a contract year unless someone makes us an offer we just cant turn down.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ok, and then what?? Where would the return on investment be if we just dumped him?? I think you maximize his value by waiting to see what he's going to give us in a contract year.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Agreed. Especially in a year in which we are trying to contend.... it makes no sense to sell low.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

misread. my fault--and agree with you

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

And I believe we get a compensation pick if he walks after this year.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Faulty logic. Perez and Sipp are already gone. You got me though on semantics that the other guy did say major move and I contemplating a couple of moderate moves. Astros will likely be able to add about players worth about 3 WAR (would need to do something besides just add setup and lefty, though) in some fashion as long as they act before mid-January assuming they do go up to about a 100 million dollar payroll.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If they give him a qualifying offer, which I'd consider very likely.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Thank the lord.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing the same. One name who won't be in any deal is Lance McCullers. Astros seem dug in on not moving him. <a href="https://t.co/yXhx2Ja9rP">https://t.co/yXhx2Ja9rP</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/674694161531052033">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. the shark

the shark Member

:grin:

18. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - I don't disagree with that. I think they can easily wait and make various middle-tier moves. My contention was simply with the idea that they are going to make a major move. I don't think any of us can know that - and the longer the Astros wait, the less options and opportunities they will have to make a move like that as the highest tier players sign or get traded.

19. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Any rumblings on the Delgado front?

20. TheGoldenGreek

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source says Astros &amp; Phillies have talked about a package for Ken Giles that would center around Vincent Velazquez, plus 2 more prospects</p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/674713353672069120">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Figured we would have to give up at least VV in Giles deal. Would sting but I think I still pull the trigger.