1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm not saying I want him to switch to 3B. I don't. I hope he stays at SS. But Bregman is too small to play 3B and has yet to play a single professional inning at 2B. If and when Bregman comes to the majors, we'll have some shifting to do.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

This would be a very good move by the Astros

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

If Bergman is better defensively, then Correa moves to 3b

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

And 1B

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Correa might currently be one of the best defensive MLB SS, on a trajectory toward being the best.

6. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not even close IMO.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I think the front office moves are really important. I think a lot of our front office provides tremendous value, so losing any of them could end up really hurting us. For example, it is great that Stearns got a promotion and is now the GM of the Brewers, but losing him hurts the Astros' front office. It will be important (and yet very tricky) to retain those close to Luhnow. The better they are, the more other teams will target them (i.e. the Brewers).

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It's not that cut and dry. If he's better defensively and a great ML hitter, then sure. Find a way to keep 2 future HOFs, absolutely. But if he's just above average (or even worse), then maybe you keep Correa at SS, get a good hitter at 3B, and move Bregman for something else more valuable. Will depend on team needs as much as Bregman's success

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Based on what? Making a few rookie mistakes?

IMO, he's the closest we've had, defensively, to Adam Everett since Adam Everett.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

I think people are going to be pretty pleased with Bregman.... from all accounts, he may not have a super-high ceiling, but he still is universally predicted to not only make it to the MLB level, but stick there (which can't just automatically be said for all prospects).

Think about some of the greatest all-time role players that teams just would not have won without... the David Ecksteins, Craig Counsell's, Matt Carpenters.

He could be just the perfect type of player this team needs... from a contact/OBP standpoint to being able to plug/play him at multiple positions where he's needed.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

On a different note ... Are we ever going to hear anything more about the St. Louis Cardinals cheating scandal or is that just going to fade away into oblivion never to be addressed by MLB?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's not saying much.

Shortstops after Everett

34? year old Tejada
    35? year old Tejada
    Manzella
    Barmes
    Lowrie
    Hodgepodge including Gonzales, Villar and Cedeno
    Gonzales and Villar

For the most part, Correa's fielding numbers were worse than the players I listed.

This is not a knock on Correa. He was only 20 for the majority of the season. He makes some outstanding plays and has a great arm and, from my non-professional view, can go into the hole, jump and throw with the best of them. However, he has a ways to go to even come close to Everett as a defensive shortstop.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn't it a federal investigation? I'm sure that's playing a role in it.

15. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

MLB waiting on the FBI to finish its investigation/process. The FBI doesn't really tell anyone what the status of its investigation/process is, that's why there is no news. Presumably, it will end with an indictment of one or more of the execs that were hacking into the Astros system; or a call to MLB saying the the FBI has closed the file (with no indictment).

16. MrBear1

Based on advanced defensive metrics.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol advanced defensive metrics on a 21 year old who's been in the majors for 5 months? Come on. Every single person who's been around the sport for a long time agrees that this kid is going to be special for a very, very long time, and that INCLUDES his defensive capabilities.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

to be fair, one of the statements he was arguing against was "might already be one of the best defensive SS in the MLB". Advanced defensive metrics are useful in making that analysis.

Though I agree that it feels like he has the tools to get there and seems to just be missing some consistency/maturity on the that side of the ball.

19. Buck Turgidson

Only if they properly account for the shift.

20. MrBear1

The numbers don't lie, in comparison to other shortstops over the same 5 months his defensive performance isn't top notch.

Defensively he has a long ways to go to ever be mentioned with Simmons, Hechevaria, Crawford, Escobar, Gregorious, etc