1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

not me, maybe i will watch some of the Cubs games

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Off topic but the royals have tied it up. Better team than I thought

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Royals are and have been a fantastic team. Shown it all year with the end result being best record in the AL. The young Astros were a better team than I thought, taking them to 5 games, that couldve easily been done in 3 and a sweep in our favor. Sigh. Cant wait til Spring already.

4. conquistador#11

Just adding a stud closer and having greggerson move down, this team is a 90+ win team. Why my friends??? springer, altuve and correa played less than three months together.

Now if we bring up reed and he pans out, add a DH with power plus .275 avg, we will be unbeetabol.

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I don't think I'd give that much for a closer, but we could use a lockdown closer.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Martes and Musgrove is too much for a closer.

Martes is particular is starting to look dangerously good.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

why are you guys comparing pitching staff of the rangers and astros? jesus stay on topic, this is about the ASTROS

8. right1

right1 Member

Tyler White 1-4 with a double in first game with Estrellas Orientales of the Dominican League. Also on the team is Papa Grande Jose Valverde who says he's in best shape he's been in since 18 years old and his clocking 95mph. White listed as C, 1B and DH.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]
    • Chris Davis will likely be the most sought-after first baseman/corner outfielder on the free agent market. Davis has even played third base. As a multiple 40-plus-homer performer, Davis could fit with the Red Sox, Padres, Astros, Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Angels, Mariners, you name it. The Orioles would love to retain him, and they could if owner Peter Angelos was willing to go where agent Scott Boras wants him to — likely a Prince Fielder/Mark Teixeira type of deal.

• 6. The Astros will search for a veteran presence in their lineup this offseason.

• 2. Chris Carter, 1B, Astros — While Carter had a good second half, the Astros, according to one major league source, could dangle him as trade bait. Carter’s unpredictable performance, coupled with high strikeouts, could have the Astros seeking a steadier performer at the position. He’s righthanded power, which is sought-after.
    [/rquoter]

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don't see Martes being in a package for a relief pitcher. He has a lot of upside.

11. ThaShark316_28

In the "what do y'all think" portion of this post:

What do y'all think about going after a bat via trade? Particularly, the outfield. I was thinking this guy:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gonzaca01.shtml

Upside: Played 153 G this year, his highest EVER. Sign of good health for the rest of his career?

Downside: OBP getting worse. .314 OBP is not what this team needs right now.

Just a thought, folks.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Even bigger downside: His home/road splits

13. Major

Major Member

What? :confused:

14. conquistador#11

we buildin' team venezuela?
    I would like the move.he is like the hispanic lowerie when it comes to health.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I think you can have to much Carlos on one team. It would be like eating way too many chocolate cookies.

16. ThaShark316_28

Was about to mention this, but got sidetracked.

Yeah, I hate that he is rather "ehh" on the road. Concerning.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Kimbrel is really good but yea that's way too much. Unfortunately both the Reds and Padres are asking the moon for their guys.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

That will change as time progresses, especially concerning Chapman. He's a FA after next year.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Murphy would fit many teams, maybe even the Yankees at second. But as executives tried to guess (and these were guesses, not hard information) where Murphy could land, three teams came up most often:

1) The Astros because they love versatility and could use Murphy at first, third and DH, and want to diversify a lineup that strikes out too much. In addition, in private Astros notes leaked last year, it was revealed Houston and New York discussed a trade of Murphy for shortstop Jonathan Villar.[/rQUOTEr]

20. Major

Major Member

Murphy seems like a completely ordinary and irrelevant player. The Astros should be investing their money into premium players. I totally get trading Villar for him. I don't think signing him to a $15MM/yr contract makes any sense at all.