1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Giles is able to convert what he has done the last 2 years to the 9th inning full time, he will be a dominant closer. Gregersen has been a top back end bullpen arm for years now. That has the makings of a great 1-2 punch.

We also still have Sipp who has been great the last 2 years, and didn't struggle in the postseason, plus we have some other promising bullpen arms. On paper we should have one of the best pens in baseball, investing even more prospects would be overkill right now.

2. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

We have a good but not great bullpen...getting another stub closer will allow use to close out games when leading going into the 7th inning.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And adding a dominant starter, and a dominant 1B, and a dominant catcher, and a dominant 3B. Those would help even more.

There are a ton of things that could help us. It's a about using the assets in the most productive manner, and until we see what Giles can do, spending any more on a bullpen arm is not the wisest use of our assets.

4. SuraGotMadHops

I like the new alternate uni

[​IMG]

5. ThaShark316_28

Astros signed Doug Fister today and I'm all in!

One of my favorites.

6. dwood21

dwood21 Member

If Doug Fister can come close to his 2.40 era from a couple years ago...watch out. That would have to make our rotation top 5 worthy in all of baseball all else being equal right? Love the Fister signing...almost no risk and has potential for huge rewards.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's virtually no chance of that happening, that was a fluke not backed by the metrics. Having said that, I think he is perfectly capable of posting a mid-3's ERA. That would give us 5 starters all with a realistic chance of posting a mid-3 or better ERA, and a 6th starter in Feldman who is perfectly average.

Aside from Keuchel, we may not be too top heavy (we'll see how McCullers follows up last year) but our rotation doesn't look like one that's gonna give away many games.

8. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Fister will be big for us. After the Nats signed Scherzer last season it messed Fister up having to move from a starter to a reliever.

He can have a big year for us.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2016 Astros starter rotation now is better than what the 2015 Astros broke camp with. Fister might even be an upgrade over the end-of-season Kazmir (but not the beginning-of-season Kazmir who did not pitch for the Astros).

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This team (with the signing of Fister) really has no weakness. I guess you can nitpick and say they need a more consistent bat at 1B but competition breeds excellence and I think one of Singleton/Reed will be very good this year.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Or Tyler White, Matt Duffy and Colin Moran. We have multiple options, and the DH lets us play around a little.

By the time September rolls around, we're gonna have adequate production from 1B. Even if it takes us a little time to find that guy, I think we have enough cushion that we can survive without a great 1B for most of the year. Hopefully someone puts a stranglehold on the position early and that bat becomes a strength moving forward.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Based on last year, they could stand to upgrade 1B, 3B, C and DH. And even if those positions work themselves out, overall, they could still use more guys adept at getting on base with greater frequency (which could also be worked out if Springer and Gomez can stay healthy).

Fingers are crossed that more of the "if only..."s work out than not.

13. dwood21

dwood21 Member

While I agree it's highly unlikely he can post a sub 3.00 era this year, he is surely capable. In 2011 he had a sub 2.00 era in like 9 starts I think. In 2013 he had that incredible 2.41 era in 25 starts. So he's definitely capable of being a very good MLB starter when healthy.

Regardless, if he makes 30 starts and is somewhere around a 3.50 era, I'll be extremely happy and the Astros will have a huge steal in Fister.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If Giles is as good as he has been so far...then you're wrong. Last year we had a "good but not great" bullpen. This year, by adding a stud to replace a mediocre player, I'd call it great. Let's see if they can perform to that level now!

(made even better by Fiers/Feldman assuming the long role)

15. No Worries

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros rotation to start 2013:
    Norris
    Harrell
    Humber
    Peacock
    Bedard</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/692769827212042240">January 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="de" dir="ltr">Astros rotation to start 2014:

Feldman
    Cosart
    Oberholtzer
    Harrell
    Keuchel</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/692768096793137152">January 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="pl" dir="ltr">Astros rotation to start 2015:

Keuchel
    Feldman
    Wojciechowski
    McHugh
    R. Hernandez</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/692767853800390659">January 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

#2115 No Worries, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not bad. It's a less flamboyant version of the these.

[​IMG]

I like the flamboyant better, but both are nice.

Astros logo and jerseys have beasted for years :cool:

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

It also has no roster spots.....

Starters
    1) Keuchel
    2) McHugh
    3) McCullers
    4) Fiers
    5) Fister
    6) Feldman

Bullpen
    7) Neshek
    8) Harris
    9) Fields
    10) Sipp
    11) Gregerson
    12) Giles

Infielders
    13) Correa
    14) Altuve
    15) Valbuena
    16) Singleton
    17) Marwin

Outfielders
    18) Springer
    19) Gomez
    20) Rasmus
    21) Marisnick
    22) Tucker

DH
    23) Gattis

Catchers
    24) Castro
    25) Stassi

The players above are essentially no doubts to be listed on the 25 man roster. To open up time (especially on the infield and at DH), you're going to be forced to move Singleton, Valbuena or Tucker down to the 40 man from time to time. Meanwhile, you've got White, Reed, Moran and Duffy (not to mention Bregman) clubbing baby seals down in AAA and AA.

Once someone stakes their claim at 1st or 3rd, I would be surprised if you saw a consolidation trade to clean up the over abundance of infield prospects we have in the high minors.

1 person likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think there is a good chance Tucker and Duffy are competing for that final offensive roster spot. Duffy has a big versatility advantage because he can handle 1B and 3B. He also platoons well with Singleton and Valbuena because he's right handed, and has handled lefties very well in the minors.

Tucker is a very bad defensive OF, to the point of being a last resort. Being able to play a competent 1B would be massive for him, because as is all he is good for is pinch hitting and platooning at DH. That isn't to say he won't be on the roster, in fact I would still make him the favorite, but the team will have to be convinced he's gonna hit a lot more than Duffy.

19. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Stros carried 13 pitchers for most of last year, so it could be that there is no spot for Duffy and Tucker to compete for (that spot will go to a 13th pitcher). Some of our AAAA pitchers are running out of options as well. I don't think Straily has any more options left, so if he's not on the opening day roster, he'll be DFA'd. I think Tucker is the only outfielder with options left. If he's on the roster, there's either an injury or we're going with 12 pitchers.

20. No Worries

I do not think that the Astros will hand Singleton the starting job at first. He will have beat out White Duffy, Reed, Tucker, Gattis, et al. I see it as a less than 50/50 chance.