1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2008.

1. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I hope something interesting happens this offseason.

God, I miss baseball.

2. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Hopefully Peavy AND Sabathia! ROFL!

3. msn

msn Member

I second those emotions.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Justice (I know, consider the source) is saying that Drayton wants payroll at $100 million and that to keep the team in tact currently will take about $120 million. So the Chron report could be what is actually happening. I truly hope not, but I am also not getting my hopes up that they will do anything earth shattering any time soon.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Damn, is Roy our new GM? lol, he must really have no hope in the Astros with the current pitching.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Do you have any hope in the Astros with the current pitching?

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. MadMax

I don't think Peavy to the Cubs is "on." I think it's still possible. Still going to take some serious manipulation to put it all together.

11. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Poor decision to not offer Wolf and Brocail arbitration. The worst that could happen is that they accept. The only scenarios were either a.) the do accept and help the much talked about thin staff or b.) get signed by other teams and bring picks to the system. Real headscratcher.

http://houston.astros.mlb...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

12. msn

msn Member

WHAT??? I thought they fired Purpura????

Somebody please explain what good this does us. Are afraid Wolfy's going to garner $10MM in arbitration?

Was Brocail a highly enough rated FA to bring any picks? IIRC, Wolfe ended up a class 'B' (much to our surprise).

13. MadMax

I saw the Yanks declined arbitration to Abreu after they told him they would....they cited the uncertainty of the economy. The New York Yankees cited the uncertainty of the economy.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we were willing to offer Brocail arbitration, we never would have exercised the option. I'm surprised anybody thinks they might have offered him arbitration. Looking around, there are a ton of people much more valuable than Wolf who would have been offered arbitration in years past who weren't this year. All the teams that have been publically worrying about budget in a down economy seem to really mean it.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Brocail was type "A".

16. msn

msn Member

More valuable than a type B... hrmmm...

I guess it'd be intriguing to know how many MLB teams choose not to offer arbitration to players who will bring them draft picks should they decline. Maybe it's not such a big deal after all---but with our farm system in such a big mess, "arbitrarily" surrendering picks doesn't seem that smart. Perhaps the Astros felt confident both would accept?

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what team is going to sign a 41 year old guy like Brocail and lose picks over it?

If you offer him arb, you better be prepared for him to take it as that's the likely scenario.

18. MadMax

There's a lot of inactivity it seems in the free agent market, generally. I really do think teams are trying to assess the impact of what's happening on the bigger picture..and how it should affect their offseason spending. I think we may have a very watered down market, aside from the Sabathias of the world.

19. msn

msn Member

Well-stated. It seems that reasoning would apply to Wolfe as well.

Thanks.

20. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Absolutely that's a risk they should have taken on both Wolf and Brocali. Insofar as the latter...even if the crazy worst case economic scenario of 10M was granted in arbitration, its not a multi-year deal that would create a possible albatross for years to come.

Regarding Brocail, Wade has stated publicly they are still hoping to sign him anyhow. It's a win-win either way. It seems worth the risk to possibly 'lose' arbitration and pay more than the figure they had in mind. Then on the off chance he bolts...then you get a tasty sandwich pick.