1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Interesting they're not putting a lot of faith in Fisher.

I'd trade Sipp and a prospect away like you said and throw Sipp-level money at Tony Watson. I was actually really impressed with both Watson and Cingrani.

I think teams are going to more aggressively switch great-stuff, poor results starters to the pen. The Astros would do well to target a few underperforming starters in the trade market and see if they can turn them into shutdown relievers. I do not think LMJ falls in that category though; he proved in the first half that he can be an all-star level starter.

rimrocker and Houstunna like this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Maybin's a FA.

Besides KTuck, there's not a sure bet starting OF amongst that depth you listed. Can't imagine it'd get much in return.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2011: Altuve
    2012: Marwin/Keuchel
    2013: meh
    2014: Springer/McHugh
    2015: Correa/McCullers
    2016: Bregman/Musgrove/Devenski
    2017: Fisher/Martes
    2018: Tucker/Whitley
    2019: Alvarez/C Perez
    2020: Matijevic/Bukauskas
    2021: J Perez/Martin
    2022: Nova/Macuare

#163 Snake Diggit, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would float Reed, Fisher, Kemp and Davis out there and gauge interest. I cant see any of them helping us. Get a arm or two out of that bunch.

Moran and White I would give another shot at making the club. Can Moran play 1st?

DudeWah likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2013 Peacock? (Not sure if he actually played in minors with Astros before call up)

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Those guys combined to hit better than the Astros DH spot.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Peacock made his big league debut in 2011 with the Nationals, but yeah he first played with the Astros in 2013.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I think Fisher is the only one of that group that could get an arm of quality. No real downside to keep those guys as AAAA players. It's a long season and injuries happen.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The downside is they occupy spots on the 40 man roster.

11. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Who are you going to put on the 40 man (but not 25 man) that has a better chance of contributing to the major league team?

We're not in the borderline prospect protecting phase anymore.

12. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I wonder if Beltran would be interested in the assistant hitting coach position that is now open?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont have anyone in mind per say. But in order to sign FA's or protect guys moving up in the minors, we need to open spots. When the Rule 5 draft comes along, and the posts start to flourish, you will see how hard it will be to protect all the guys we want. Keeping too many AAAA guys around impedes us.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

BA is not the best measure and when I check team stats for Astros DH I see .225 BA, .284 OBP, .385 Slugging, .286 wOBA and 78 RC+. Without running the math, those guys look like they have a higher combined OBP, Slugging, OPS, wOBA, and RC+. The stats that really matter (RC+, wOBA), it isn't close as Fisher and Davis both are better and Reed and Kemp just didnt bat enough for it to matter.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I tried searching does anyone know how much money the team (not players) make from winning the World Series?

This is something most aren't figuring into the calculations. Crane will be more willing to spend because we have a great chance at deep post season runs and winning it all for the next 3-5 years.

It's not insane money but in sure it's in the millions and that can be the difference in adding a free agent or not.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It will be a substantial amount, 20-30 million at least. Which is all profit, and likely wasn't factored into the teams budget.

From what I remember, the league get like 15% of all games, and the players get like 60% of the mandatory games (first 4 games in a 7 game series) nothing for the extra games, so there's no incentive for them to lengthen the series.

The teams get a small cut of the mandatory games, and all of the revenue from the extra games are divided equally between the 2 clubs (regardless of which park they were played at). The Astros played 7 extra games, and those are the real money makers for the club.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...&ind=0&team=21&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

If you want to go with wRC+, I dont see any of those that surpass Gattis at 105. Why not just make him the DH? Maybe Tyler White at 126? Or Tyler at 1st and Yuli at DH?

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I never understood why White was left off the playoff roster

sure it was only 61 at bats, but he was 4th on the team in slugging and 5th in ops last year

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gattis is more valuable as a catcher and isn't the benchmark for improvement at DH. He would be an alternative that would likely be an improvement as well at DH, but a loss at catcher. However, Gattis was on team last year and there was still a full roster spot that batted every game in an AL park that underperformed Davis and Fisher for the season. Also, Gattis historically is one of those guys that hits significantly worse sitting on his butt between innings (RC+ 92). It should not be hard to expect that one of Davis and Fisher can be better than what one roster spot produced last year. Though, I do think they will have to battle White and Moran and I'd give the edge to the latter two if the Astros don't add a bat.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros pinch hit once in playoffs for a LHB that I recall. McHugh was needed in case a game went deeper in extra innings. Fisher scored a winning run on Andre Armlessier. Maybin caught some balls in the OF. Beltran was .....