1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Overall agree. I'd put the Phillies as a team that should be adding a little as I expect they want to be big players in next year's free agent bonanza. I think getting closer to a 0.500 would show potential free agents that they are ready to challenge for the NL East Title if Harper leaves the Nats.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Duffy is under contract for 4 years and about $60M, so he'd make sense. On one hand he has a good ERA over the last few years, but SIERA and xFIP aren't very optimistic about that continuing. He's kinda similar to JA Happ.

I think the luxury tax and next year's FA class are what is killing this FA period.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Do not want Danny Duffy.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Duffy is another guy that has been consistently awesome is first time through the lineup. Productive innings in the regular season, short burst wipeout guy in the postseason.

60 million over 4 years is pretty manageable these days. Luhnow knows how thin we will get on proven pitching over the next 2 years. He could help stabilize that issue. Although he doesn't address the front end issue, it does give us a support net to see if we can't develop an ace in house without having to give out a lucrative contract.

This is all assuming adding him via trade is a relatively cheap option.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I guess I’m just not that worried about these future rotations:

2019: Verlander, McCullers, Whitley, McHugh/Peacock/Martes/Musgrove/Paulino
    2020: Whitley, McCullers, Martes, Bukauskas, Peacock/Musgrove/Paulino
    2021: Whitley, McCullers, Martes, Bukauskas, Musgrove/Paulino
    2022: Whitley, Martes, Bukauskas, Musgrove, Paulino

Of course some of those guys won’t pan out, but the talent level, depth, and payroll flexibility is all there.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Of Whitley, Martes, and Bukauskas, my bet is only one of them pans out and/or are on the team by 2022.

7. juicystream

Definitely unlikely that all 3 make it as starters.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

By "pans out", I merely meant makes the club. That could be marginal ML replacement level or superstar. The former more likely by a good margin.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Maybe as a starter, but they still have the stuff to be strong relievers as Martes showed last year when the rotation started getting healthy again

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's more than overly optimistic to think most of our pitching prospects will pan out. If you can even have a 50% success rate you are killing it

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If you HAD to add one of those 6 to the Astros payroll, what would you do and why?

I'd be happy with Darvish just because top end pitching is always had to find, I know it's probably risky to put stock in a 31 year old with major injury past that only preforms every 5th day.

Martinez I would be excited to see in the line up, but not my first choice. He'd be another big time bat from the right and has done well versus the Yankees.

Arrieta same comment as Darvish (but not "happy") with less enthusiasm since he appears to be falling off with his fastball last season and with more innings on his arm.

Hosmer would be a VERY nice fit, Lefty bat, gold glove 1B, just turned 28. You could move Gurriel in a trade if need be $30 million over next 3 seasons or make him DH/utility. I know the system is already stacked at 1B with Reed and White. But this would be an answer to Yankees power trio and there stud right handed pitching. Plus he LOVES MMP .362 BA

Moustakas I don't see him worth $100 mil for the Astros. Never has driven in more than 85 runs or scored more than 75.

Cain Good player and knows what he is doing at the plate but not worth $100 mil for the Astros.

Hosmer for the gold
    Darvish silver
    Martinaez the bronze

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Is anyone else thinking 2018 is the last year for these two to make the club? Are we stacked in the absence of them?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Teams always need AAA-AAAA guys for fill-in depth. Their prospect status is about expired, and they're unlikely to fetch much of anything in a trade.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White might be a Marwin replacement in the 2019 season.

15. juicystream

Interesting. Replace a guy that can play 6 positions with one that plays 0.

16. No Worries

White plays first, second and third.

17. juicystream

And SS and LF. Hell, he even pitches.

But he is terrible at all of those things.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All those guys make some sense for Houston. In order of preference:

Darvish makes sense for Houston at any reasonable price. At more than $180M he’s a bad deal. At $150M he’s a fair value with risk. At $120M he’s a steal.

Martinez doesn’t make sense for at more than $150M and I really wouldn’t like Houston to go that high, but somebody will pay him that much. But he’d be a great fit in the lineup.

Hosmer would be a good fit but to me he’s only worth right at $120M/6yr. They could move Gurriel to a LF/DH/Utility role.

I’m not a big believer in Moustakas, Cain, or Arrieta, so I wouldn’t want Houston handing any of them a 9 figure deal. But Cain would fit great in Houston’s OF for 4-5 seasons (for like $80M), and Arrieta would be a good replacement for Keuchel (again, at $80M). Something awfully weird would have to happen with Moustakas for him to end up in Houston. But at the right price he becomes the 3B and Bregman moves to left; the right price for me would be a pillow 2 year deal for like $18M/yr.

Looking at the current market, if I’m Luhnow or making predictions, I like Lucroy, CarGo, and Hand, with Darvish ending up with the Cubs or Angels, and Houston having chips to make a run at Archer, Fulmer, Stroman, Taillon, Samardzija, or Cueto at the deadline or next offseason.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  19. No Worries

Replacement level is what is expected from utility players. White's bat so far has been above replacement level.

20. juicystream

Yes, but that isn't a Marwin's replacement. He's closer to an Evan Gattis replacement, IMO.