1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Player they are looking to trade for is Chris Archer. All rumors but Ken is really good at getting inside information.

craigharmann likes this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Hard pass on Darvish and Arrieta.

sammy, craigharmann and awc713 like this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would try and trade for Archer or Cole from Pittsburgh.

Darvish and Arrieta are both big question marks imo.

adw and craigharmann like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's all about Keuchel. They tried to sign him long term and Keuchel wasn't happy with the Astros or his agent. So he runs off to Boras and the Astros respond with leaking that they are interested in a top free agent starter.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Starting pitching has always been the bigger concern to me.

We should be fine this season, but it gets extremely sketchy next year. While I don't think we will do anything significant this offseason, it is something that will have to addressed, likely externally unless one of our prospects really impacts hard or we pay DK.

After Verlander, who are the rest of the starters next season? Who is gonna be our top 3 starters when we take the field in 2020? Whitley looks great on paper, but he's still just a prospect. Even if he does deliever, one great pitcher isn't getting you anywhere

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

"Ice in my veins" is still pretty good and not going anywhere.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He'll be great for half a season. If we time his injuries right he may even be October viable.

Forgive me if LMJ hasn't earned my respect as a regular man in the rotation. You need to get roughly 900 innings out of your starters and he's good for about 100. Hopefully all of us are wrong in regards to his durability, but I'm not holding my breath.

mikol13 and kaleidosky like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

100 innings of good relief work could be helpful ;)

900?o_O

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Collectively over 162 games.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Fair enough, but I trust the guy that built a team that won a world series with Hinch as head coach. He can find pieces. Also, Peacock can continue to get better, McHugh is still a legit BoR guy and maybe Morton loves this team and organization so much that he signs back for a reasonable contract. Verlander, McCullers, and Peacock is pretty solid for frontline rotation. Is it back to back to back worthy? Probably not. How many innings they eat is still questionable but its not bad. Would I like to add another SP? Yes. Let Luhnow work his magic. I dont think we could afford Arrieta.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, Dallas K, Morton and Verlander all will have their deals coming up shortly. The Astros I am sure would like to be able to plug in Martes, Peacock and Whitley and not skip a beat but the reality is that the Astros cannot expect that to happen.

Something else to consider is that with the cost of middle relievers that are difference makers being set by Morrow; it is possible that the Astros would rather suck it up, and pay more for a starter and move someone from the rotation to the pen.

I don't think the Astros will pay top dollar for Darvish or Arrieta; but if they get good value; I could see the Astros suck it up and sign one and move Peacock/Morton to the pen in a Andrew Miller role.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the Astros acquire Darvish can Gurriel then make fun of him?

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Heard LMJ talking with John and Lance and he has zero interest in being a closer. I’d bet he has less interest in being a middle/long reliever.

Starter is where his head is at the moment.

Love Lance, but have very little faith he can stay healthy for a full season.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lance is still a youngin.

That arm aint getting any younger though.

Shocked he hasnt had a UCL surgery yet.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Current Rotation:

Keuchel: Signed through 2018
    Morton: Signed through 2018
    Verlander: Signed through 2019
    McHugh: Signed through 2019
    Peacock: Signed through 2020
    McCullers: Signed through 2021

Here's a possible scenario that could play out:

After 2018
    - Keuchel gets a huge offer from the Yankees (just so they never have to face him again) and takes it
    - Morton retires (as he's kind of alluded to)
    - One of Martes or Whitley emerges as a legit starter

2019 Rotation:

Verlander
    McCullers
    Peacock
    McHugh
    Martes/Whitley

After 2019
    - Verlander moves on, or at least is no longer considered an elite starting pitcher
    - McHugh moves on

2020 Rotation:

McCullers
    Peacock
    Martes/Whitley

I'm completely on board with Arrieta or Darvish if you can't get Keuchel to sign an extension this offseason (unlikely). Of course it depends on what those guys want, but it doesn't hurt to keep the pitching staff stocked with good arms while developing young talent. If you can get a guy like Darvish on a $15 million/year deal, that's worth exploring as a way to stabilize the rotation through the next few years.

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's starting too make sense... Archer to Astros seems to be the play with the Keuchel uncertainty as posters have stated. Don't trade your entire farm but give them an offer... Archer till 2021 sounds good to me.

eric.81 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect Astros to find out a little more about Whitley, Martes, Paulino, and Peacock before they add another starter. Starters are just too expensive to have a surplus for a season unless Astros are planning on something weird like tandem starting the back end guys.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly the Cubs are going to a 6 man rotation.... so the view of starting pitchers is evolving.

Most likely the Astros don't add someone like Darvish.

However the Astros could move Peacock and Morton to the pen.... they could go to a 6 man rotation. They could intend to deal Martes/Paulino and sign a starter.

The way this team is set up, there are so many possibilities. All we know is that Luhnow will not "over pay" for a starter.

BigMaloe likes this.