1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Boom.

**** Tease.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

ho lee *** the potential :eek:

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I’m assuming Whitley would be involved. Would this be worth it?

4. Buck Turgidson

Are 6+ years of Whitley (plus whatever else) worth 3 years of Stanton (don't know when he can opt-out, but he will)?

clutch citizen and Joe Joe like this.
  5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Whitley would not be involved whatsoever unless Miami would be willing to pay for a hefty remainder of the contract (which they aren't).

Hemo_jr, texans1095 and Joe Joe like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With those teams being smart, Marlins are likely going to have to take on a significant chunk of the opt out risk (i.e., pay a significant portion of salary after opt out).
    Yankees are likely out trying to reset luxury tax.
    Dodgers....they are deep in the luxury tax territory. Not sure how much his salary would be for them, but I'm guessing they would have to pay at least 50% more than Astros with taxes.

If I was Luhnow, at a minimum, Marlins would have to agree to pay half salary after opt out (105 MM). He opts out, they pay nothing. He becomes a shell of himself, Marlins on hook still for half. Rumor has it Giants wanted 50MM paid, but not competing with them.

Prospects in rumored Giants deal were probably Fringe Top 100 to Top 200 prospects. No Whitley. No Tucker.

Astros would likely need to trade McHugh and Gattis at a minimum to make budget work, but would likely be done in a separate deal to try to replace a prospect or two dealt for Stanton.

7. Buck Turgidson

That's kind of what I was getting at. **** ain't happening, and that's ok with me.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Greedy me says cash in now. But long term me is very scared of the pitching staff in 2-3 years. Screw it. I’m all in.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t want Stanton because of extension ramifications with Correa, Altuve and others but....

Can you imagine our outfield with Stanton, Springer, Reddick
    And the lineup, essentially putting Marwin as utility and primary DH
    That would be sick

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Correa
    Stanton
    Reddick
    Gurriel
    Gonzalez
    McCann

With Gattis, Fisher, Marisnick, Moran?
    Off bench

That’s stupid

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

Who is greedier though? The one’s who want to trade for Stanton or the ones who don’t?

Count me easily in the former regardless. It’s all gravy to me now. That lineup with 5 Mike Fiers would still have a shot at rings.

12. Buck Turgidson

Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

cardpire and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL

Stanton says f**k that losing, I want to win now.

I'm OK with going after him if it doesn't stop us from signing Altuve long term. I've always felt keeping Correa was a 50/50 prospect at best, regardless of circumstance.

14. Buck Turgidson

That seals it...he's definitely signing with the Padres.

I'd be OK with Seattle, they don't have the big-picture finances that Dallas or Anaheim do.

Would be wonderful to go watch him in SF. As a hitter, he's built for that park.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Putting together the package I think is closest to what was rumored to be San Francisco’s accepted offer:

Martes
    Reed
    Celestino
    Davis

I think SF was requiring Miami to eat $50M. I’d take that deal in a heartbeat.

#915 Snake Diggit, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Are you talking about Ohtani?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Martes is likely a lot better than anyone in the SF deal. Astros are not competing with SF, and there is no way Astros take on the same amount of money as the Giants after the opt out. If Astros trade for Stanton, it will likely be better prospects than SF offered, but with a ton of money after the opt out that is only paid if he opts in to mitigate the chance that the contract turns into an albatross.

#917 Joe Joe, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Arroyo is a good prospect, Mlb.com has him in the middle of the Top 100 with a 55 grade. That’s about where Martes would fall. The other 3 Giants prospects listed (Shaw, Beede, Ramos) were grade 50 guys.

I agree that if Houston were to acquire Stanton Miami would have to eat more than $50M. I’m not sure if deals can be structured with money changing hands based on a player’s opt-out decision years down the road, which may complicate things. It looks like Miami’s primary goal is shedding salary, they would need to be willing to budge on that some in order to get a deal done with a team Stanton is willing to accept.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would take that deal as well. I'm unsure if Stanton wants to be traded to Houston though.

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

According to several reports this morning, the Astros are one of just a few teams that Stanton (at this time) is willing to wave his no-trade clause for.

No Worries likes this.