1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How do you feel about HOF member Ozzie Smith?

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't know that I put an argument to bed. An all-around shortstop is not an easy thing to find. I think the only argument I am putting forth is that guys like Hanley Ramirez, Tejada 2 years ago (or earlier), ARod, Jeter, Rollins, Jose Reyes are definitively better than having a stud defender and below-par offense.

But anyone else on this board would say the same

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

would sacrifice my life for him.

1 person likes this.
  4. RocketMania1991

I understand people are bashing Ausmus for his lack of defense as he aged, but what people don't take into account is how he called a game.

I think a partial problem with our rotation last year is the discomfort with Pudge and the constant catching changes we had.

With Ausmus you had a reliable guy who knew the entire rotation from head to toe. The pitchers seemed to love him and I think he helped the pitchers tremendously.

5. msn

msn Member

I always thought of Ozzie when I considered Everett's offense, but to be fair I always factored in:
    - the Wizard played in a much different era offensively. .250 in '82 was a lot different than .250 in 2004.
    - the Wizard actually *improved* over his career, which is what I really hoped to see, and really didn't see, in Everett.

6. msn

msn Member

now, that's funny.

7. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I can't recall this much arguing about 3 players not playing for the hometown team in a loooooong time. Not since the Artest/Wafer/McGrady threads started in the GARM.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

here's hoping the next argument will be battier/ariza/chuck hayes.

9. kaleidosky

figures you might hope all the defensive players/intangibles guys leave

10. msn

msn Member

:grin:  

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The Astros signed 18-year-old Nicaraguan first baseman Mesac Laguna...
    (It's in Spanish but basically says he is excited, he is 6 2 190lbs, dollar amount undisclosed but going to his parents and a lot of who discovered him)

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/deportes/67473

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[rquoter]The Astros have signed 18-year old Nicaraguan first baseman Mesac Laguna (captip to MLBTR).

Thanks to the wonder of two years of college Spanish and Google Translate, we can find these tidbits:

Laguna is 6'2, 190lbs
    He was signed by the Astros' Nicaraguan scout Leo Guevara
    Laguna will play in the Venezuelan or Dominican Winter League in 2010[/rquoter]

http://www.astroscounty.com/2010/02/astros-sign-18-year-old-first-baseman.html

Most I could find from an English site.

13. msn

msn Member

why don't the Astros ever invest in scouting and signing international talent?????????!!!!!11

disgusting. freaking cheapskate mcSCROOGE

( :grin: )

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros interested in Taveras and some other news

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

[rquoter]The Astros have expressed interest in outfielder Willy Taveras, who was released by the Oakland A’s.

Astros assistant general manager David Gottfried contacted Taveras’ agent, Barry Praver, soon after Taveras’ release Tuesday.

Taveras, an Astros center fielder from 2004 through 2006, must first clear waivers before the sides can hold serious talks, which could happen as early as Thursday.

“If Willy clears waivers, we would be interested in talking to him about a non-roster opportunity,” Astros general manager Ed Wade said. “He would have to come in and compete for one of the extra outfield spots.”

Taveras would not be offered anything more than a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.

"Because of our familiarity with Willy and the fact that he brings an element of speed, it would make sense to give him an opportunity to at least come in and compete," Wade said. "I wouldn't make any promises beyond giving him a chance to compete."

Wade expects other teams to pursue Taveras if he clears waivers.

The speedy outfielder was released eight days after the Reds traded him and infielder Adam Rosales to the A’s for Aaron Miles and a player to be named.

Taveras, who struggled as a leadoff hitter in Cincinnati, is owed $4 million for the final year of a two-year, $6.25 million contract he signed with the Reds prior to the 2009 season.

Any team signing Taveras would be responsible for paying him the league minimum, with the A’s responsible for the remaining of his salary.

Also, Tuesday, the Astros announced that reliever Brandon Lyon had a small cyst in his right shoulder drained two weeks ago.

The cyst, which first showed up during his physical, was causing weakness in his shoulder, the team said. Lyon is expected to be ready for spring training.

Also, minor-league infielder Jose Vallejo will undergo surgery on Wednesday to repair severed tendons in the fourth and fifth fingers of his right hand.

Vallejo, who was in the Astros’ 40-man roster, is expected to miss most of the 2010 season with the injury, Wade said.

Vallejo injured the tendons while preparing dinner at his home in the Dominican Republic over the Christmas holiday, the Astros said. [/rquoter]

15. E-Man

E-Man Member

I wouldn't mind having Willy T back. We could use more speed on the bases.

16. kaleidosky

Taveras as a non-roster opp and competing for a backup OF...that's fine.

But seriously, he had the 3rd worst OPS in the entire Major Leagues last year out of guys with at least 250 plate appearances

The dude is a great late inning defensive replacement and pinch-runner.. I wouldn't want him as anything more than that.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We have a better Taveras in Michael Bourn.

That being said, I would take Willy over Jason Michaels 11 times out of 10.

18. RocketMania1991

Agree

Michaels might have more homerun potential i guess as a pinch hitter..but who cares about that.

Tavers is a better contact hitter, better base runner, and a better defender.

Could be key in late game situations.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Taveras has a better arm than Bourn. That is about it.

Even though Taveras has speed on the basepaths, he is not a smart baserunner. In the outfield, he was pretty consistent with bad or late breaks on the ball. Of course, with his speed and arm, Taveras can compensate.

20. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I would rather have Jason Lane than Jason Michaels. That pretty much sums up how I feel about him commanding a roster spot