1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2006.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So would yu rather have Woody Williams for around $2 mil or Daisuke Matsuzaka for $5 mil (I really have no idea how much he'll make, but if the Yankees are involved it will probably be for more than this. Ichiro's first contract was for 3 years $14 mil.)

Pettite/ Clemens should be at the top of the list, but both of them are still short term solutions.

2. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

That was because the Mariners had to pay $13 million just to get him, so they actually payed almost $30 million for Ichiro. Matsuzaka? Expect at least a $10 million/yr contract for him just to have him wear a baseball uniform (and even that's on the low end)

3. toby

toby Member

I just don't see the Stros getting into a bidding war for anyone, future all star, panned out star, or AA catcher. If the player doens't have an interestest in playing in Houston other than $$$ i just don't see timmy going the extra mile to bid for a player.

He'll extened offeres to tons of people and say that we are working hard to get good quality players, but once another team ups our offer, negotiations are over.

I really think after Beltran and Bag's last few Timmy is a bit scared to spend money on a guy that he doesn't know. Oswalt, Roger, and Andy are known. Some of these other guys are unknowns.

The past two years have been a history of playing with what we got and if you want to come to houston . . . great! we will accept you with open arms. Otherwise start the farm team.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A-rod?

I would take him...give up Hirsch and Pence and go from there.

DD

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't think there's a GM in baseball that can accomplish bringing in a player who has no interest in playing in that city for that team.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, basically you suggest they OVERPAY for somebody who has no interest in coming to Houston in the first place... because that is the only way to be a successful gm :rolleyes: (see the Rangers when they bought Alex Rodriguez).

Also, I have no problem with spending big bucks for a person who is a.) a known commodity, who didn't just put up a great year in a FA year, and b.) one who actually likes the enviornment he plays in.

There's no denying that in the FA game, the PLAYER steers the ship... and if they don't really want to come to Houston, and are just using this team as leverage, I'm not going to say its a "failure" that we didn't get that guy.

Lee has said he would like playing here... but if the Yankees, Boston, the Mets, the White Sox, the Cubs, and the Angels/Dodgers (the four biggest baseball cities in the league) come at him with open arms... and Drayton/Tim start hearing less and less about what's going on... there's nothing you can really do in that case except explore trades, or sign veterans.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can't figure out what I don't like about Soriano. He's a terrible infielder, but that gripe doesn't apply anymore. I guess my biggest issue is that he apparently is a bad teammate or something. The fact remains that even with great performance and a decent contract, every team that gets him tries to get rid of him immediately. It's purely assumption, but I assume that it means that he's a clubhouse cancer. I'd like to think that the Astros would have a good influence on him, but giving him a superstar quality contract means that I'd bet the house on it. I'm not sure that I would.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Like A-rod, I don't think you can look at the "player" as the main reason why teams are trying to get rid of him...

The Yankees wanted A-Rod, and gave up on Soriano a little too early... but he was one of the only guys who was young, with lots of potential, and wasn't making a lot of money that Texas would want in return.

The Rangers were continuing to have lackluster seasons, and since Soriano was only putting up "good" numbers for them (not the A-rod numbers), he seemed exependable.

The Nats actually want to KEEP Soriano, and build the team around him... hence they didn't trade him at mid-season. They still may have the inside track on him if he really wants to stay there.

#148 Nick, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Too often it is the AGENT steering the ship.

Neither Soriano nor Lee are going to be ignored. Bosox and Mets likely to split the signing of the two. Angels and Cubs could well be major contenders for either/both.

Thus, Lidge becomes pivoltal as he is the most marketable player the Astros have whom they might market. Timmy P and his GM D-Mc need to maximize his market value.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As much as you want to paint Boras as the devil... he's only doing what the market allows him to do. And, he's still working for the client... if the client doesn't like the team, its the agent's job to know that or else they get fired. And when their other clients get wind of an agent pushing his own agenda without the player's best interests involved, they leave that agent.

$$$ plays a big part... but they're going to get the $$$ eventually... they have to be happy from who they get it.

Lidge is a tradeable asset... but I would not say he is our most tradeable asset. Even last year, coming of a great season, he wasn't our most tradeable asset... Ensberg was.

Teams HAVE to look at the current state of closers in MLB... how most of these guys are being brought up from their own systems, and dominating the late innings for cheap. Wainwright, Papplebon, Lidge, Gagne, K-rod... all guys who weren't neccesarily groomed as closers, but ended up not just getting the job done, but DOMINATING. There are also countless other closers who may not be a big name, but are certainly effective. Why teams continue to spend $10 million plus for closers, or give up valuable commodities in trades, is highly questionable.

That being said, our most tradeable assets are (in order):
    1. Pence
    2. Patton
    3. Hirsh
    4. Lidge
    5. Ensberg
    6. Qualls
    7. Albers
    8. Ash

11. msn

msn Member

What, no Jason Lane? :p

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where did I mention, or even reference Boros? I merely allowed as to how many FAs empower their agents (compare Damon and Varitek. Damon went for the biggest check as per his agent but Varitek told saidsame Boros that he was to get it worked out with Boston). I think players who cede that decision to their agents are fools. Look at some of the Yankees' signings, guys like Weaver who took the $ and were destined to just not fit in.

Respectfully disagreeing, I believe Lidge is the best asset the Astros might deal. From your list of 8 I have to wonder why if Pence is so valuable to others he can't seem to sniff MMP. Your Top 3 all are kids and certainly might be packagable/marketable.

But Lidge? Put him out there and reel in help. IMHO.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Right now I'd expect Jason is worth a Penny...Lane.

14. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I really don't see the Astros making a trade as opposed to signing free agents this offseason. Many people have complained that Purpura has the inability to make a deal, which is true impart because he has a hard time letting go of minor league talent. Purpura believes in building a team through the farm system, and therein lies part of the problem. Purpura falls in love with his prospects and chooses to let them come up and prove themsleves rather than trade them away even if there chances are slim.

You have to be willing to trade unproven (on the major league level) prospects for proven major leaguers. The other problem is that the Astros IMHO promote their minor leaguers too slow. I understand not wanting to shake a young guys confidence, letting him cut his teeth in the minors, but letting them face a little adversity goes along way into building character and seeing what the guys can do when the pressure is on and the situation isn't easy.

When Jason Lane got brought up three years ago, you kept hearing how this guy was a good young hitter and showed promise as he was tearing up the minors. But at 27 years of age (at the time) the guy is no longer a prospect, a guy like Miguel Cabrera who was 19 when he got brought up is a young guy who has lots of promise. Lane is a good measuring stick as far as the Astros not willing to bring up or trade some prospects away. A couple of years ago Lane had good value and you probably could have started a deal with him and throw in some more prospects, now he is the throw in.

This offseason the Astros are probably going to inquire about A-Rod, Dontrelle Willis, Carl Crawford and a couple more proven major leaguers. However, unless Purpura is willing to give up some of his prized prospects the conversation isn't going to get very far. If you want Dontrelle Willis its gonna cost you Pence, Patton and Albers. Is that price too high? The Marlins don't think so, thats what they want young pitching and a good hitting prospect. If we say no, do we truly believe that Pence, Patton and Albers are all-star level players? We know that Dontrelle Willis is all-star caliber, so its going to take some promising, young, cheap talent to acquire him or any proven all-star player.

As much as I'd like to see the Astros be aggressive on the trade front, I just don't see it happening. They'll put offers out to Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano. maybe a couple of pitchers in Williams, Zito and Schmidt and lesser free agents. I just hope they don't put all their eggs in one basket and put a more competitive team on the field because despite their miracle comebacks, I don't see the division being as lowly as it was this past season.

#154 Jared Novak, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pupurra gave up two pretty good prospects in Talbot and Zobrist for Huff... and by all accounts, that was a deal that nobody in the league was expecting. That trade was pretty significant... he got us one of the best hitters available, and he didn't give up any of our top propsects or everyday players to do it.

The rest of your statements... while some may be true.. are based largely on a ton of assumptions, circumstantiality, and opinions that may be misguided.

First of all, yes... the Astros must build from the farm system. This has been true since the early 90's... with the Venezuelan academy, the top-notch scouting, and the previous reluctancy to re-sign their own FA's (Which led to trades of Larry Anderson, Mike Hampton, Billy Wagner, etc. for prospects).

Most teams, not named the Yankees would be DEAD without their farm system... ask St. Louis where they'd be had Pujols not mysteriously risen from within their minor leagues. Ask the Cubs if they'd be better off had Prior/Wood (their own home-grown pitchers) panned out. Hell, even the Yankees' dynasty was largely because of home-grown Jeter, Pettite, Posada, Rivera, Bernie Williams... not the FA acquistion fiasco they've fallen into the last 5 years.

As for Pupura "falling in love" with his prospects... I've yet to read an article talking about how we didn't get Carl Crawford or Dontrelle Willis because he refused to part ways with Jason Hirsch. Also, isn't it contradictory that you say he loves his prospects... and yet you complain about how the team takes forever to promote them?

Regarding that subject... Jason Lane may have not been promoted earlier on because of the players in front of him... but now that you see what kind of major leaguer he is, can you really blame that as a mistake? Also, the Astros farm system hasn't had a guy like Miguele Cabrerra or Ryan Howard for years... I don't see anybody down there, or who has come up here in the last 5 years, who should/could have been up here earlier.

And, when the Astros DO have a young player who is capable/ready to make a difference, they DO bring him up. Carlos Hernandez was ready at 21, Berkman came up as fast as he could at 24, Oswalt was practically helicoptered in in 2001 after a token start at AAA. They also never hesitated on Tim Redding (probably should have), waited till Lidge was fully healthy, and did a great job of evaluating Qualls fully to make sure he wasn't going to cut it as a starter.

I know its frustrating that the Astros don't bring in the "big name" year after year, and we're getting a little bit of "big-market envy" because of it... but there are few teams who have had as great of a balance of success of building from within, and adding outside free agents, and producing WINS as a result of this strategy, as the Astros have done.

16. Buck Turgidson

The trades closest to being made prior to and during '06, that ultimately were not - Abreu, Lee, Tejada - centered around major league players, not prospects.

17. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Zobrist is 25 and has Everett in front of him. By most accounts (scouting sites) Zobrist had the stick but lacked the range to unseat Everett. Talbot was IMHO the better player in the deal because he was a good young right arm. That being said bith players weren't huge losses to the minor league system. Acquiring Huff didn't merit having to give up better prospects.

Thats why this is a fan forum, which allows anyone the right to air their opinion, no matter how misguided it may be. :rolleyes:

Where did I say that building through the farm system was wrong? The Astros have had great success building within. My opinion is that they hesitate when it comes to trading prospects for proven major-league talent. I don't care how promising a player is in the minors it doesn't always translate to major league success. If that were the case Rick Ankiel would be the second coming of Sandy Koufax, but he didn't pan out. And when is the last time a player came out of the Venezuelan academy? Last good one I remember was Hernandez.

Read the paper (as hard as it is to read the chronicle) watch the news, listen to the radio. Purpura is a big minor league guy who loves to build from within, prior to being GM, he was assistant GM and director of minor league personnel. No there is no contradictory statement there, he coddles his propspects and doesn't want to bring them up too early for fear that they'll lose confidence. Once again I guess that was that misguided opinion sneaking in, I'll be sure to email you all my posts about the Astros to make sure I get all the facts straight. Click here to help get what it means.

Lane wasn't promoted due to the line being long in front of him. However, had he shown enough promise he would have unseated the people in front of him. I don't say that keeping him was a mistake, be he is a good indication of why you need to know whether a guy is worth keeping or trading away early. Waiting until he is 27 to bring him to majors is ridiculous, and then giving him more time when he gets to the show. The Astros have had infinite patience with this guy and very few people in the majors would get as many chances as he's gotten. There have been no Cabreras or Howards and I think you mistook why I mentioned Cabrera. Either way, explain to me why Pence hasn't been on the major league roster? Why does Jason Lane deserve to get chances over and over again and a good young hitter like Pence isn't given a single chance to come up and try to take the job? The same could have been said for Hirsch, who probably only got promoted and given a chance because of public pressure.

Besides Redding, they were right on every other player who came up "faster" than the norm. Redding was brought up because they hit on Oswalt and Miller, but found out the third time wasn't the charm with Redding. If the Astros do not sign a free agent pitcher this offseason, they'll toy with the idea of putting Qualls in the rotation.

I don't expect this team to bring in big name year after year. When they signed Kent I was pleasantly surprised. I knew Pettitte was coming and saw Roger in tow. So they've brought in big names before. Don't know if you've realized it or not but we broke $100 million in payroll, that looks like big market to me. McLane may cry all he wants about losing money and being fiscally responsible, but he wouldn't keep the team if he losing so much money. We're not the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs or Angels, but that doesn't mean we can't try to compete when trying to sign free agents or trading for better talent. The Astros suffered this year because of a lack of moves last offseason, and I as a fan do not want to see it happen again.

18. Major

Major Member

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I have little evidence beyond circumstantial that says that Soriano is a cancer. But even the Nats talked about trading him. The only concrete thing I have against him was the stink he made about playing outfield. But signing him definitely doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Given an even choice between him and Carlos Lee, I'd take Carlos Lee in a risk-minimization move.

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Maybe its the fact that he strikes out at a Jason Lane-like pace. I'd take Carlos Lee and his 100 less strikeouts over Soriano.