1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official] Astros offseason thread v.1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2007.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Looks like MLBTraderumors got all that from Footer's latest article on Astros.com.

Here's more detail:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2337077&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Wade is likely done working the trade market, but he's still actively scouring the free-agent lists for available starting pitchers. At this point, the club's interest in veterans such as Livan Hernandez and Bartolo Colon appears to be low because the price tags may be too high.

But Wade isn't counting out anything as the offseason reaches its final stages.

"We've had conversations with almost all remaining free-agent starting pitchers out there," Wade said. "Whether the conversations lead anywhere or not, I can't say at this point. Chances are probably remote, but as time goes by and we get closer to Spring Training, we might have an opportunity to get a deal done that makes sense for everybody."

Wade has expressed strong interest in Jon Lieber, but the veteran right-hander also looks like a long shot to join the Astros.

"We had some conversations and it [doesn't] look like we were going to get anything done there," Wade said. "If, at some point, they were to come back our way, we could have more serious discussions. Right now, it's a dead issue for us. I have a lot of respect for Jon and I think he could help us, but we didn't meet expectations at this point."

Sounds like the reminaing free agents are asking a lot. Even freaking Lieber.

I still wish we'd pony up for Livan Hernandez.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another one off the radar?

source

[rquoter]
    Scott Wuerz of the Belleville News-Democrat, a Southern Illinois newspaper, indicated in his blog that the Cardinals were close to signing Matt Clement. Haven't seen recent buzz about this in the Post-Dispatch, but maybe Wuerz has the scoop.

Other teams previously linked to Clement: the Royals, Mariners, Blue Jays, Rockies, Pirates, Indians, and Phillies. The Astros pulled out and the Padres seem full.

[/rquoter]

If so Clement would be about the last of the 'high risk/high reward' guys, (except maybe Jennings or Garcia). Here is the list of 'name' players that I can find remaining excluding the ones marked out:

Kris Benson - velocity problems already mentioned
    John Thomson - appears to be permanently injured and 'done'
    Jeff Weaver - lol
    Jamey Wright - from what I've read he's done as a starter, but who knows?
    Steve Trachsel
    Eric Milton - in addition to the fact that he sucks, his arm is damaged
    Josh Fogg
    Jeremy Affeldt - I think I read he wants a chance to start
    Rodrigo Lopez
    Byung-Hyun Kim
    David Wells
    Jason Jennings - looking pretty good about now but would you commit multiyear?
    Freddy Garcia - injured for at least half the season; more of a guy you can buy now to pitch next year
    Kyle Lohse - Scott Boras client, and looking for an insane 5 year deal
    Tony Armas Jr
    Brett Tomko
    Russ Ortiz

Did I miss anybody? Does anybody on that list appeal to anybody? Most of those guys look like fodder, but I haven't seen many pitch for several years.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Only one I'd go after is Jennings; wouldn't mind giving him a second chance, especially if he's injury free. The multi-year deal is the only holdup but I wouldn't be completely averse to perhaps a two year deal with heavy incentives. Anything more is way too much. And while I don't think the Astros are in desperate need of a pitcher, considering the upgraded offense and (hopefully) the deep FA class next offseason, it would be nice to have some insurance.

4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Have to post this little tidbit from si on winners and losers of 2007:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/01/03/jonheyman.winnerslosers/1.html

38. Ed Wade, new Astros GM. Perpetrated two of the dumbest trades of the winter, giving away Brad Lidge to the Phillies, before acquiring steroid shortstop Miguel Tejada little more than minutes before release of the Mitchell Report. Despite his awful eight-year tenure as Phillies GM and standing as an obscure Padres scout, he still managed to win Houston's GM job in the first place. What a country, Part II!

(he's listed as a winner- I guess for getting the job).

Losers:
    5. Houston Astros. Tejada was hailed as a great pickup in Houston media, so at least the standards are low there.

6. Tejada, Astros shortstop. Did anyone -- except the Astros, that is -- really think Tejada wouldn't have his own special spot in Mitchell's report?

5. Greg M

Greg M Member

How's this guy really feel? Not sure why he has so much animosity for Tejada's roiding when it's so rampant.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clicking on the link, about 50% of the entries are steroid-related. He seems obsessed.

Of the 25 names on the 'non-winners' list, the following entries had to do with the 'roids:

1. Clemens
    2. Bonds
    3. Jason Giambi
    5. Houston Astros
    6. Tejada
    10. Levinson Brothers
    13. Don Fehr
    16. Eric Gagne
    19. Jay Gibbons
    20. Paul Lo Duca
    22. Paul Byrd
    23. Gary Matthews Jr.
    24. Mike Cameron
    25. Lenny Dykstra

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

this guy can bite my ballbag. Tejada never tested positive for any banned substance as far as I know...and he is light yrs ahead of AE regardless.....we win

8. right1

right1 Member

Bartolo Colon? He's a twenty game winner with a Cy Young Award. Colon is a fairly common last name, probably something to do with whom you might call Christopher Columbus.

9. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Another reason for me to continue to never subscribe to SI EVER AGAIN! Eastern homer biased assholes and you can quote me on that. Sick of their damn bias, Houston NEVER does anything right and merits no respect in their eyes. Just ask the Rockets in '94. :rolleyes:

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because if he used roids to get those good stats then his decline could continue now that he's not using roids.

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Just signed these five for ST:

Mike De Jean - old RH RHP
    Carlos Hines - looks like a longshot
    Victor Diaz - seems like a decent prospect
    J.R. House - good to see him back. He could eventually be a source of power off the bench
    Lance Niekro - IF and son of Joe Niekro

Link

Astros sign five with invitations to spring training
    Pitchers, catchers to report on Valentine's Day

By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Astros on Wednesday signed five players to minor league contracts with invitations to spring training: righthanders Mike De Jean and Carlos Hines, outfielder Victor Diaz, catcher J.R. House and infielder Lance Niekro, the son of former Astros pitcher Joe Niekro.

The club also announced its first spring training workout day for pitchers and catchers will be Feb. 14 in Kissimmee, Fla., with the first full-squad workouts scheduled for Feb. 19.

The Astros also invited minor league infielder Tommy Manzella and left-handed pitcher Josh Muecke to major league spring training.

De Jean, 37, split last season between Class AA Tulsa and Class AAA Colorado Springs and went 0-3 with a 7.63 ERA. He owns a career record of 30-33 and a 4.30 ERA in 565 career appearances with five teams, including Colorado (1997-2000, 2006), Milwaukee (2001-03), St. Louis (2003), Baltimore (2004), and the New York Mets (2004-05).

Diaz, 25, hit .240 with nine home runs and 25 RBIs in 37 games with Texas last year. He also played in 69 games for Class AAA Oklahoma, where he hit .321 with 14 home runs and 65 RBIs. In 147 career games with the Mets (2004-06) and Texas Rangers (2007), Diaz has hit .256 with 24 home runs and 73 RBIs.

Hines, 27, spent 2007 with Class AAA Fresno, appearing in 29 games and finishing 1-1 record with a 4.69 ERA. In eight career minor league seasons, Hines owns a 18-22 record and a 4.24 ERA with 41 saves.

House, 28, hit .211 with three home runs and three RBIs in 19 games for Baltimore last year. He also played in 110 games at Class AAA Norfolk, where he hit .298 with 11 home runs and 66 RBI. The former West Virginia University quarterback played briefly in the Astros' organization in 2006 and hit a combined .352 with 15 homers and 105 RBIs between Class AA Corpus Christi and Class AAA Round Rock.

Niekro, 28, hit .176 in 11 games for San Francisco last year. He also played 47 games at Class AAA Fresno, hitting .301 with five home runs and 20 RBIs. Niekro has played in 195 games, all with the Giants, and owns a career average of .246 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI.

His father, the late Joe Niekro, is the Astros' all-time leader with 144 wins.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is good news. I think that with a little more development, Niekro and House could be good additions.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

None of which will make the team unless DeJean comes is and throws well. But I think Diaz and Niekro have some upside and could help down the season if injuries occur. They are fairly young and have MLB expereince. House can really hit but is not good receiver or thrower.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

House could end up being the back-up catcher when Ausmus does retire. He's got a decent stick and was getting better behind the plate.

DeJean has been out of baseball since being released by the Rockies in 2006. Wouldn't expect too much there.

Niekro could be interesting. I know there were high hopes for him in SF, but it didn't pan out. At the least, he's depth for ST and for the Express. Same goes for Hines and Diaz.

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

It looks like Jason Jennings might be close to signing with the Rangers .

Link

It seems Texas is the place where should have been good players go to end their careers .

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I like Jason, but this is incredibly dumb. It's amazing how many players lose track of anything besides $ signs and forget about the long-term good of their careers. We're talking about a struggling, homer-prone pitcher looking for one more chance to prove himself as a legitimate starter... so naturally, he goes to an incredibly homer-friendly park in the American League. :rolleyes: Smart move...

17. superden

superden Contributing Member

HA. sucka.

18. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/5449440.html

Houston Chronicle - An agent for free-agent starting pitching Runelvys Hernandez said Saturday the 29-year-old righthander is close to reaching a one-year deal with the Astros.

Phillip Isaac, a representative for Hernandez, said all signs point toward a deal being completed within the next couple of days, though Hernandez would like to have one last round of discussions with other teams.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Someone reinforce the bullpen bench.

20. updawg

updawg Member

Congress asking Justice Department to investigate Tejada
    By HOWARD FENDRICH

AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON — Congress is asking the Justice Department to investigate whether former AL MVP Miguel Tejada lied in 2005 to committee staff when he was interviewed in connection with the Rafael Palmeiro steroids case, The Associated Press learned Tuesday.

House Oversight and Government Committee chairman Henry Waxman and ranking minority member Tom Davis were sending a letter to the Justice Department on Tuesday, a person who works for the panel told the AP.

The person spoke to AP on condition of anonymity because the congressmen had not yet announced their plans.

Waxman, a California Democrat, and Davis, a Virginia Republican, were to speak about the matter at the beginning of Tuesday's hearing on the Mitchell Report about steroids in baseball.

When the same House panel held a hearing in March 2005, Palmeiro told the panel : "I have never used steroids, period." Palmeiro was suspended by baseball later that year after testing positive for a steroid.

The committee later looked into whether Palmeiro should face perjury charges, but eventually dropped the matter.

Palmeiro said his positive test must have resulted from a B-12 vitamin injection given to him by Tejada. That prompted Congress to talk to Tejada, who at the time was a Baltimore Orioles teammate. He was traded to the Houston Astros in the offseason.