1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Cole is going to free agency and after that Corbin deal who can blame him. If I had to guess, he's an Angel or Giant in 2020.

I heard the Astros wanted to extend Pressly. Sucks he's not interested according to Nook.

The Astros know they don't have to do anything and will still most likely win the division. In the meantime, they will continue to search for upgrades and they have until July/August to build their playoff roster to run with the Yankees and Red Sox. They want to give the young guys a chance because it gives them so much flexibility if Tucker, Whitley, Josh James, etc become solid players.

Shark44 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I disagree with your disagreement

eric.81 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Stros4me and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yasmani Grandal could be headed back to the Dodgers. According to sources

Marteen likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s a large group of fringy lefty SP that I think would make sense for Houston, since they would be cheap, and could easily add value in the bullpen if they didn’t cut it as starters or were beaten out by a young arm:

Jaime Garcia
    Brett Anderson
    Gio Gonzalez
    Drew Pomeranz
    Wade Miley
    Francisco Liriano
    Hector Santiago

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guys more likely to sign early extensions are ones who aren't making much money (see Altuve), or ones that are worried about arm trouble/regression catching up with them before they get to free agency.

A lot can happen in one season from both parties standpoints. If Verlander has no fear about breaking down any time soon, and we know he's not itching to make more money, his agent should rightly advise him to wait. He gets to see what the makeup is of the Astros going to 2020 and beyond. Gets a better sense of which of the homegrown players may be sticking around or extended vs. those who will be let go as free agents. Gets a better sense of what the rest of the league is doing, and who the main competition will be.

On an unrelated note, I thought Keuchel (or his agent) should have had more foresight back in 2015 and negotiated a long-term extension then. Not surprised that he's going to likely end up with less career earnings from this point on, compared to if he had signed a bigger deal then (also, not broken up that the Astros got the best years of Keuchel at a cheaper rate, which allowed them to spend money elsewhere).

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This is so clearly defined by Lunhow's deals so far. First, Lunhow trades for Diaz to be in the Marwin role (minus the switch hitter) but for 4 years of team control. The next 4 year Marwin probably makes at least 30 million more than Diaz. Second, the need for quality veteran catcher was the top area of concern. Lunhow refused to "overpay" with Tucker or Whitley for Realmuto. Lunhow instead went 1 year $5.75 million on a decent veteran catch with some power in Robinson Chirinos. Maybe Stassi learns to hit at MMP like his .848 OPS on the road.

The word is the are adding a bat. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't Markakis. Should be a cheaper lefty than Harper or Brantley, he is a gold glove fielder that doesn't strikeout. Should be a nice fit on this line up.

With all the solid prospects coming through the pipeline it makes the most sense to see what you have. This roster is still good enough to win the division. Once Lunhow finds his #3 starter to pair with JV, Cole, McHugh and Whitely they might chase 100 wins again.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The roster as it stands profiles for ~100 wins (they’re at 48 fWAR, I believe replacement level is 52 wins; I could be wrong though). They are projected to have a 10 win margin for the division.

If the Angels were able to add Grandal, Keuchel, and Kimbrel, they’d be most of the way caught up to the Astros in the projections.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I hope they sign all of those guys. In 3 years they would feel stupid.

Keuchel is going to the highest bidder. He has his ring. He wants the money. i suspect it might be a mediocre team like the Reds trying to make a splash. It makes sense for Keuchel to go to the NL. It would make his numbers look better not having to face a DH.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It depends on how many World Series they win. Most likely, they would win zero, in which case yes, they’d probably feel stupid. Although if I were them I would rather go all in while they have Trout than not do everything you can to maximize the opportunity of having a once in a lifetime player.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Plus, all 3 of those guys received qualifying offers. I don't even know how the draft pick losses, etc work under that circumstance.

13. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Thanks--this was a fantastic update. I was hoping for the Astros to pick up Realamuto and have Stassi as the backup. Guessing from your comments that the Marlins are asking too much. Seems like we haven't addressed the three areas that are prime for an upgrade: 1B/DH, starting rotation, and catcher (I don't view Robinson as much of an upgrade over Stassi).

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs and BR use 47.7 wins as the replacement level (1,000 wins over 162 games for 30 teams). BP is a lower replacement value. Fangraphs using Steamer projections has Astros at basically 96 wins. When they incorporate ZiPs into their model, I expect it will go up 1-3 wins as ZiPs typically slightly favors a few of the key Astros more so than core members for other teams over Steamer.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

If we can get Altuve, Correa, and Springer to hit like they did in 2017, that’s would be a huge upgrade to the offense. Would love to have a #3 SP not named McHugh, James, Peacock or Valdez. Singing Cruz would be great for DH but I’m fine with giving White a chance if we can find a #3 pitcher. If White doesn’t workout, look for a trade during trade deadline.

Honestly, I hope we can sign Bradley to plug him in LF until Tucker is ready. Once Tucker start hitting, he, Bradley and White could rotate at the DH spot.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Houston could count on White and Tucker as excellent hitters, they could save a ton of money to reallocate to catcher and SP. Its also a shame Whitley wasn’t able to reach the majors and get established last season, since if he and James could both be counted on, Houston’s rotation losses would be a relative non-issue. I suspect that’s really the overriding theme of this offseason for Luhnow: how much can they count on from those 4 guys?

jim1961 likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What if White and Tucker are average hitters for their positions? Are the Astros willing to pay free agent prices for Brantley if Tucker is average? Are the Astros willing to pay free agent prices for Cruz if White is an average hitter?

I don't know the answers to those questions. My guess would be that odds are good that both Tucker and White are near average or better at their positions. I'm guessing that makes the $/xWAR increase (i.e., xWAR - Astros internal option xWAR) substantial for both Cruz and Brantley.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My take is that they need at least one bat outside the big 4 that they can count on to be elite. Gurriel, Reddick, and Chirinos are high floor, low ceiling guys; players you can count on for roughly league average offense but you can also count on them not providing much more than that. That leaves White and Tucker as the only internal possibilities for properly stretching the lineup. If they think White and Tucker will be merely average, then I think they need to make a move. Given that Tucker can/should start the season in AAA and that OF can get PA at DH, Brantley or Pollock make the most sense among FA if they don’t break the bank for Harper.

Nippystix likes this.
  19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The way I see it is trade Reddick listing to offers on Yuli
    Sign Brantley and Cruz
    Watch the market on Realmuto call them offer up White , Kemp and Stassi to see where they are at on value.

Talk to the Tigers about Fulmer and Castellanos.

Sign Ottavino
    Go fro. There the rest of the way

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marisnick not making the team would help the offense more than Brantley or Pollock. I'm more confident that Astros get okay production either from defense or offense in the OF from 4 players than I am that both Gurriel and White can hit well enough for their positions. The free agents left don't wow me except for Harper, Machado, and Grandal. Pollock may be most interesting free agent left for Astros assuming those three go elsewhere.

My guess at the moment is that Astros will focus on trades (primarily SP) and do some bargain hunting in January unless Brantley, Cruz, and/or Pollock take a team friendly deal now.

AznH-TownFan likes this.