1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

From what I heard they had serious reservations about Ramos being healthy for a full season, and Stassi also has some of those same concerns. A platoon of those 2 was not ideal in their minds.

#1841 Redfish81, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I’m still kind of hoping we trade Stassi and sign Grandal. Probably not going to happen though.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are willing to pay the right pitcher a good chunk of money, they just cannot pay 3-4 starters big money. My point being that if Luhnow believes Verlander will age well and really believes he is a top 3-4 pitcher in baseball, then the club isn’t allergic to giving him a large deal. That is especially the case if other pitchers under team control at low money are pitching well. The Astros worked on adding Greinke and even with the Diamondbacks paying part of the owed money, the Astros were going to be paying quite a bit.

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Any insight into our next move(s)?

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on how Whitley and James do and who they trade for. Harder? Absolutely,

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Way too many factors to predict. We don't know what the Astros are going to do this offseason, at the trade deadline, or next offseason. Plus, after all the talk about this big free agency class, I think next years could be way better and deeper. This year is just top heavy because of Bryce and Manny.

Here are some guys that are currently free agents after next season:

Jose Abreu
    Paul Goldschmidt
    Justin Smoak
    Scooter Gennett
    Xander Bogaerts
    Didi Gregorious
    Nolan Arenado
    Josh Donaldson
    Anthony Rendon
    Corey Dickerson
    Marcell Ozuna
    Aaron Hicks
    Nicholas Castellanos
    Yasiel Puig
    Khris Davis
    Encarnacion (option not likely to be picked up)
    Kendrys Morales

Madison Bumgarner
    Jhoulys Chacin
    Gerrit Cole
    Kyle Gibson
    Sonny Gray
    Cole Hamels
    Jake Odorizzi
    Rick Porcello
    Chris Sale
    Justin Verlander
    Zach Wheeler
    Stephen Strasburg (has an opt out, no idea if he would take it)

Dillan Betances
    Tommy Hunter
    Colin McHugh
    Addison Reed
    Hector Rondon
    Ryan Pressly

I would rather go shopping in that class than this years.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

The best pitching free agents are already on our team.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing exciting.

Luhnow doesn’t feel pressure to over pay and will wait until the market to calm down if he has to. That includes free agency in trades. They feel there are still players out there to fill needs.

Top priority is a #1-2 starter. Will be via trade. Willing to wait until during the season if they have to. Have spoken about all the top names but price is very high now. They spoke to Dallas K but he wants a contract length they won’t do.

Astros spoke to Texas about Minor to add to the rotation but Texas would rather trade him to someone else. Spoke to Orioles about Bundy but Orioles don’t seem in a hurry.

They expect to sign a legitimate bat. They have shopped Reddick to clear salary and a potential log jam in the outfield.
    If they can move Reddick it would open up even more possibilities. So far the Astros won’t eat any of Reddick’s contract. I personally think they would be smart to eat 5 million and move him if there is a deal they really want to use the other $21,000,000 on.

Astros don’t feel pressure to add a lefty reliever. Astros will look to add another reliever in free agency later on at a good value.

Astros have discussed an extension with Pressly but he has so far expressed an interest to test the market.

That is all I have heard the last week or so. Oh and the Astros are fine with having Robinson catch to start the year if they need to because the market is too crazy.

Sorry it isn’t more exciting. While the Astros want to make moves and will make moves, they don’t feel pressure to make them ASAP.

Marteen, mikol13, No Worries and 9 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Luhnow and Strom may not feel the same way. Goldstein also has a say.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Thanks. Just curious—how do you get your info?

11. Nook

Nook Member

Nolan Arenando and Anthony Rendon are going to get huge deals.

Arenando could end up with a deal bigger than Harper’s. Arenando is an exceptional hitter, an even better fielder, is extremely well respected by his teammates and opponents, and has the work ethic that 1% of guys have.

Someone like Boston or even NY could give him $300,000,000 and get a good return. He is a future first ballot Hall of Famer.

I know it sounds like an odd fit, but don’t be shocked if the Astros look at Xander Bogarts if he doesn’t get a massive offer. The Astros have had interest in the past.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Looks like a great class! I'd really like to try and extend Cole and Pressly this year, that would make next year not so volatile for our pitching staff. I love what Verlander does for us and he seems to be aging well, but a lot will depend on how he wants to finish his career. If we could get him on a 2-year deal, that would be ideal and his impact on the young pitchers will be worth the extra juice in his paycheck.

If St. Louis doesn't sign Goldy, would love to bring him home.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Thanks for the continued updates @Nook

raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Do you or anyone else feel that the signings that have gone down so far have been lopsided or where one team overpayed?

15. Nook

Nook Member

A combination of business connections that have become friends and some more limited family connections and a few high school and college friends.

I am now over 40 and the people I know are now in positions of authority or are friends with people that are. Through business I made a few aquatinces that turned into good friends. Most of the people that are involved revolve in the same circles and that usually involves money and a few common interests.

I get a lot of information on colleges; especially at Northwestern and the Big X and also UH.

LonghornFan likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Absolutely many of them have been over pays. That is why several weeks ago I said that a lot of teams lock in on a particular player or a particular position and over pay. The Astros don’t do that.

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Awesome. Thank you for the updates!

Nook likes this.
  18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Lots of people know Reid Ryan he was normal guy not too long ago .... hmmm

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Well as normal as can be with a hall of fame dad lol

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if Boston rebuilt after next season. They won’t be able to pay everybody and their farm is trash. Losing Sale, Porcello, Bogaerts, and probably JD Martinez would be a lot for them to absorb and still be a contender, especially with Pedroia on the downside and their bullpen currently in pretty bad shape. Betts, Devers, and Benintendi is a nice trio but outside of those there aren’t any other long term pieces. So in addition to their free agents we could see them shopping Price, Eovaldi, and JBJ.