1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just can't for the life of me see swapping White for Cruz being better for the franchise unless White is a big part of a trade package, which I don't see.

White is cheaper, was better last season, and is a possible long term option. Cruz is at an age where he could fall off and be bad this season, he's expensive, and even more limited defensively. Could Cruz be better this year, certainly, but given all of the long term choices we have constantly made this would seem foolish. We need to be identifying cheap talent, not replacing it with band aids.

Cruz, Diaz, White and Yuli on the same team creates a redundant player somewhere.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I’d still rather get a stud pitcher and compete LF with Tucker et al over going for a big bat . We could always trade for one at mid season . A great starting pitcher, however, I’d prefer to get now (if it was one or the other ). Reality is on offense we should take division no matter what so let’s see what we have in Tucker and others before we go cray

3. raining threes

I believe this is what Luhnow is thinking.

He's trying to add Cruz and Brantley, to do this he needs to cut salary, this is why he's trying to move Reddick. I'm all in if moving Tucker means getting Kluber or Bauer.

4. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I have zero confidence in Tucker becoming a major league ball player. I am honestly stunned that so many would rather have White over Nelly Cruz. White was hot for a few weeks then settled into what he is gonna be, a league average DH.

5. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on whether or not the Astros believe White repeats his production. Last year he had an OPS pushing .900... If the Astros believe it is sustainable he will likely play 1st or DH.

As for Cruz, if he could play the corner outfield spot, I would have no issue with him and White together. As it is, unless White is getting the 1st base gig and Yuli is getting the scraps, it is a weird fit.

Michael Brantley makes more since if the money is reasonable.

My guess is the Astros are skeptical of White and that is why the like Cruz. I can tell you they have had interest since they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Another option is they eat a little of Reddick’s deal (5-8 million) in a trade and sign Brantley for the corner outfield spot and try Yuli in the outfield with White at first and Cruz at DH.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros would love to add a top starter, that was their top goal since the season ended. The problem is that right now the cost is simply too high. So they are trying to improve in other ways.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't advocate trading Reddick either. I think he bounces back some and he is a left handed bat. I disagree on his current value, but whatever.

I think the Astros are looking to upgrade from Tyler White. The problem is outside of Goldschmidt it doesn't make a ton of sense. Tyler White posted a 1.6 WAR compared to 1.7 WAR for Jose Abreu. However, Tyler White did it in 210 ABs compared to 499 ABs for Abreu. White also had an OPS 90 points higher than Abreu and 30 points higher than Nelson Cruz. I just don't think the Astros are totally comfortable trusting White and want some options.

That is why I believe Michael Brantley makes the most sense. He can play LF if Tucker stumbles or is traded. He said he was willing to play some 1B and he can DH as well. With Tucker and White being question marks I think Brantley should be the guy because he has more versatility that can cover our possible holes.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White's steamer projected WRC+ of 113 is definitionally league average.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Considering the expected cost, I would rather trade for Castellanos or Choo than sign Brantley or Cruz.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'd rather trade Reddick and J.B. for a roster dump off
    And sign Brantley and Cruz trade for Castellanos and Fulmer.
    And trade for Jon Gray

But that's me

11. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

You’re acting like Reddick is inferior to Kemp and Marisnick. Even if we think he’s owed about 5 mil a year too much, he’s easily more valuable than either of these.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Tucker busts and Tyler White is out of the picture for whatever reason the Astros will head in to 2020 with literally zero proven pre arb hitters.

Springer will be heading into his last season, Altuve's salary will jump to 29 million, Yuli and Reddick will still be owed over 20 million, and Verlander and Cole will be Free Agents. With all those other issues, we will be looking for a DH and catcher...again.

If Tyler White proves himself to be an OK DH, I will take that right now. I don't want to be investing assets in that position when we have so many other issues about to descend upon us. If we were gonna make a big push for 2019, we should have just f**king added Goldschmidt.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I’m sure we tried to add Goldschmidt. The Diamondbacks just like the Cardinals offer more.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Tucker has hit at every level. He has 72 plate appearances in the majors. You felt like Bregman was a bust too at that point, right?

Tucker first 72 plate appearances.....

BA .141, .236 OBP, .439 OPS

Alex Bregman first 72 plate appearances.....

BA .156, .236 OBP, .455 OPS

No Worries, Kida and crose like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good point(s) regarding our future. Its also a parallel point to whether a "all in now" approach sacrifices our future and by how much.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The mangament is up to something. For some reason it seems they wanna save some money aswell as spend it.

The belief is they love Brantley but dont wanna block Tucker. So who has to move or what has to happen?
    Move Reddick.

Also it seems the big thing about Nelson Cruz is age and he is DH only.
    Seems like they want some what younger version. This is where Castellanos seems to come In to play.
    He is only 26ish.
    Figures he would be a better target. Idk if it's TRUE but Nick can play both COF spots and they could try to see if he can play 1B idk but he would be a cheaper target and less health risk.
    Sure HRs a Cruzs thing but overall avg and Health are the concern overall.
    Just some food for thought

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Signing two short term contracts isn’t going to mess with our farm. Even if we trade away Marisnick and Tony Kemp, it’s not going to be a hit to our future.

18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Even the notion that you’re comparing Nick with cruz is ludicrous.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

And if we were to trade away Tucker and White? Rumors abound to what the brass is up to. I just know that we must retain a healthy dose of cheap productive talent to compete in the future.

20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

We are not trading Tucker unless we sign Harper. Even if we sign Harper it’s unlikely.