1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Houston is a larger media market than Boston.

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Interesting idea......

Trade Yuli Gurriel, J.B Bukouskas, Dean Deetz, Joe Perez Chris Divenski and Brad Peacock to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Paul Goldschmidt and Zack Grienke
    Plus Arizona Pays on Grienke's remaining contract
    2019 was 31.5m. Arizona pays 10m new figure 21.5m

2020 was 32m. Arizona pays 10m new figure 22m

2021 was 32m Arizona pays 17m new figure 15m
    They pay a total of 37m of his remaining 95.5m
    This would open up spots on the Roster for guys like Forrest Whitley and hopefully some key FAs like Britton and Miller

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cleveland is much smaller than Houston, yet has higher ratings. Northern states care more.

Population growth in LA could also factor if out-gained Boston and Houston.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You want Arizona to trade those guys, and pay salary... and the best prospect you give up is Bukouskas?

They’re better off making a deadline deal when it’s for sure that they are sellers. Right now, they’re still trying to win a wide open division going into next year.

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"You want Detroit to trade Verlander, pay salary... and the best guy you give up is Franklin Perez?"

(I agree with you... but since it's the offseason, it's nice to reminisce on that deal.)

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Wasn't the dude in the Cy Young conversation in 2015? What happened to him?

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Gurriel has $18MM remaining on his contract and Peacock and Devo have two years of arbitration. I would guess the three of them would add ~$28 million to the payroll (?) over the next two years. Add that to the $37MM of Grienke's salary you're eating and, after losing the rest of Grienke's salary + Goldschmidt's final year, they'd net a total savings of ~$45MM.

I mean... $45MM is much less than $110MM but... if I'm Arizona, and I'm eating $37MM of Grienke's deal a) I don't want to take on ~$28MM; b) I'm going to want greater incentive to eat that money than just Bukauskas and a bunch of filler.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The Astros cannot compete in an arms race with the yankees and sox.

They tanked for prospects because of this.

They gotta be careful who they give up for established players and their contracts. The challenge is that if the Astros improve and become better than NY and Bos, those Teams (and a few others) will close the gap as fast as possible by throwing money at everyone.

#149 Tomstro, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I don't see DBacks doing any deal like that due to the money, I would not characterize Peacock as filler.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Franklin Perez is/was a better prospect. Previously untouchable.

I just disagree that Arizona is desperate to start tanking and offloading their two marquee players.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He’s not high upside youth nor is he a bonafied starting pitcher.

I’d say he fits the definition of filler... who aren’t all bad. At one point mike Fiers and Marisnick could have been considered filler.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought the Boston metro area was top 4/5.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The Diamondbacks will be hurting to resign there remaining FA so yea I could see this being a great deal.
    Devinski and Peacock would not be fillers. And J.B. would help there farm and then u get a couple lottery tickets.
    I swear alot of people under value the lottery tickets.
    There getting the money off the books you do understand Paul will get a bigger contract and it would be ideal for the Astros to get him and resign him long term.
    I mean you could add in Reddick and up the prospects going the other way.

You gotta open money up to add and it would be smart of you are planning on keeping Tucker full time.

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Maybe Reddick, Devinski, Peacock, J.B. and three prospects
    For Grienke and they pay 35m of his contract. PAUL and a cap filler.

Seems the Diamondbacks ma need an OF
    Jake M. Might not be a bad idea to go that way aswell

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Greinke has 3 years left on his $35M/year contract. That contract is about 1.5 to 3 WAR underwater. (Contract is worth 13.5 WAR over the next three years)

Goldschmidt has one year left and his contract is undervalued by about 3 WAR.

Adding the contracts together, a trade would need to bring back to the DBacks between 0 and 1.5 WAR, which is not going to include a premium prospect (Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez).

Whatever trade package, that the Astros would come up with, is likely to not be that much. Salary controlled MLB player like White, Kemp, Divenski and Fisher and prospects outside of the top tier would be included in the package.

everyday eddie, Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's an MLB player that provides value. Unless he's being packaged with a top prospect or a bonafied MLB starter, he's not filler. It hasn't been that long since he anchored the regular season rotation for most of the year for a World Series Champ.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're #9...Houston is #8.

No Worries likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Instead of 4/5 he meant to type 4+5

MadMax likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This is hilarious. The Astros won't pay Keuchel 20 million plus per season but you think they will trade for Greinke and pay him that kind of money even with Arizona picking up salary?

Goldschmidt would be an awesome addition to our lineup. I question whether Luhnow would want to pay the prospect price and the 14 million in salary for one year of Goldschmidt over just paying someone like Nelson Cruz to be a big bat in the lineup.

Justin Verlander will be the only starter on this team making 20 million or more next season. I suggest you start looking at guys like Trevor Cahill, Gio Gonzalez, etc. That's the kind of free agents we will be looking at IF Morton leaves/retires with the rest of the rotation being internal options. As far as possible trades for a starter... I would think someone like Kyle Gibson would be more likely than a Greinke. Gibson's production last year was a little better than what we got out of Keuchel and Gibson's arbitration estimate is only 7.9 million.

Snake Diggit likes this.