1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do think if Houston doesn’t want to further damage their farm, there are enough good 2nd and 3rd tier free agents to get this team on par with the Yankees and Red Sox without trades or 9 figure contracts. A group of Ramos, Happ, Morton, and a bat like Cruz, Brantley, Murphy, or McCutchen would still make for a stacked roster, but avoid losing potential future core prospects or albatross contracts.

2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I agree with you there. I think our FO will take the best value approach with either FA or trades. Unless they really value a particular player or two above the rest, and think said player(s) will deliver the goods.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Diamondbacks are NOT going to pay Greinke’s entire salary and trade him.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Son of Sam

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

20181123_155053.jpg

raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Didnt say that. Said they have a suite to take his entire contract

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Please post less or do it more intelligently. I think many would appreciate it

Smacktle, swoosh1014, BMoney and 6 others like this.
  8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Remember that kid in school who raised his hand all the time and always said something that was flat out wrong or caused the rest of the class to shake their heads behind his back?

You’re that kid on this website. Don’t be that kid. You really don’t have to be.

10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Cangrebingo also didn’t know how to use the reply button. Coincidence?

11. Major

Major Member

But then where would get our info about hotel suites that want to pay for Greinke's contract?

BigMaloe, kaleidosky, DudeWah and 3 others like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I had almost forgotten what it was like to have a village idiot around here.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder if there’s something there to be concerned about. Then again, if the past few seasons are telling, I’m not too worried about their evaluation of open market arms.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Oddly, once their gone a while, some folks act like they miss him (them).

Smacktle likes this.
  15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

craigharmann and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My read is that Luhnow has realized the only way he will be able to acquire a legit 3rd ace will be to trade Tucker. If Goldschmidt is added, I would think White or Gurriel would need to be traded, but I’m not sure how that would work. It’s certainly possible that a team could see real value in White.

Sign Grandal and Brantley.
    JBB+ for Goldy.
    Tucker+ for Kluber.

That’s a very stacked roster. But the farm would be pretty frail and payroll would be very stretched.

Htown Legend likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...-seriously-considering-trade-paul-goldschmidt

Diamondbacks seriously considering dealing Paul Goldschmidt

The Arizona Diamondbacks' Paul Goldschmidt finished sixth in the National League MVP voting this year, the fourth top-10 MVP placement of his career -- he was second in 2013 and 2015 and third in 2016. His performance this year was particularly remarkable because he started very slowly, struggling against high-velocity pitches. But from May 23 through the end of the regular season, he hit .328 with an OPS over 1.000.

Next year will be the last in a long-term deal Goldschmidt signed in 2013. As has been reported before, the Diamondbacks are open to dealing the first baseman -- and, in the eyes of some rival evaluators, they are intent on moving him as they enter a period of rebuilding.

But as great as Goldschmidt was over the last three-quarters of the season, the market conditions are not optimal for the Diamondbacks to move him. There aren't a lot of contenders looking for a first baseman, and the fact that Goldschmidt has just one season remaining before he reaches free agency will mitigate his trade value. The Cubs have Anthony Rizzo, the Dodgers have Cody Bellinger and Max Muncy, the Braves have Freddie Freeman.

One evaluator estimated the Diamondbacks' return for Goldschmidt would be more than what the Pirates got for Andrew McCutchen last winter from the Giants -- outfielder Bryan Reynolds, pitcher Kyle Crick and international slot bonus dollars -- but less than what the Orioles got for Manny Machado in Baltimore's midseason deal with the Dodgers last summer. Baltimore received five minor leaguers from L.A., the most notable being outfield prospect Yusniel Diaz.

The Cardinals and Astros are among the teams most interested in Goldschmidt so far. Rival executives say St. Louis seems open (again) to discussing big ideas, and adding Goldschmidt would give the Cardinals a needed thumper right in the middle of their lineup. The franchise has a long history of adding elite players as they near free agency in the hope they can convince them to stay with a long-term deal. That's what happened with Mark McGwire and Matt Holliday, among others, and that's what didn't happen with Jason Heyward. If the Cardinals finish a deal for Goldschmidt, they would have to move Matt Carpenter somewhere else in the field. St. Louis has a wide range of young pitching it could deal with the Diamondbacks.

Rival executives report that the Yankees seemed to be pushing Justus Sheffield in conversations about a possible Goldschmidt deal before they moved Sheffield to the Mariners as the prime piece for James Paxton, and in the same way, there is a perception among other teams that the Astros are nudging 22-year-old pitcher J.B. Bukauskas, a first-round pick in 2017, as they begin to shop for upgrades. No deal appears to be close for the Astros, but if Houston made a trade for Goldschmidt -- perhaps placing first baseman Yordan Alvarez as a centerpiece -- then Goldschmidt could bolster what was a disappointing offense in 2018. Yuli Gurriel could absorb some of the role left behind by Marwin Gonzalez, the free-agent utilityman who is expected to sign elsewhere.

The Astros also have been active in discussions with the tier of free agents below Bryce Harper -- the likes of A.J. Pollack, McCutchen and Michael Brantley.

The Diamondbacks could gamble by keeping Goldschmidt into the 2019 season and hope his performance before the trade deadline would bolster his value. But Arizona has to make the same assessment the Pirates did last winter with McCutchen: Do they want the dominant conversation around their team to be about a revered superstar and his impending departure, or would it be better to make their best deal this winter and move on?

18. ktex

ktex Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Luhnow may be fine with damaging the farm as long as it isn't guys that can help in 2019 and 2020. Problem is that there aren't many guys a long way from majors with a lot or even a decent amount of value. Nova seems the best by far of the lower level talent.

20. Jeremy Williams

"I think Luhnow may be fine with damaging the farm...."

Trading a few higher profile prospects wouldn't be damaging the farm. That said, the return to us would need to justify the loss.