1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I suspect the Cole trade is a good comp for a Paxton trade; both had elite stuff with non-elite results (Cole due to underperformance, Paxton due to injury), and both had 2 years of control.

Josh James = Joe Musgrove
    Derek Fisher = Colin Moran
    Dean Deetz = Michael Feliz
    Ronnie Dawson = Jason Martin

Giving up James hurts 2019 but overall I think that’s a fair package. They’d still probably have the money to sign/add a 3rd tier SP to go with Verlander, Cole, Paxton, and McHugh, plus they’d have Whitley, Bukauskas, and C Martin likely to be ready in the 2nd half of 2019.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cole trade worked because it was the Pirates, and Cole was coming off two subpar years. Paxton has had injuries, but he's been amazing when he's pitched. Would likely need to upgrade one of the non-James pieces dramatically to get Seattle to bite.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Meh, hard to say. I think the fact that Paxton has only averaged ~110 IP per season will have a significant impact on his value. And Paxton’s career xfip is almost identical to Cole’s.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cole's xFIP was ~0.8 runs higher the preceding two years to Paxton's last two years, and got to face pitchers. Paxton has averaged about 15 innings less the past two years than Cole did before his trade.

Astros got Cole cheaply because there were concerns he would be elite again.

#564 Joe Joe, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Paxton would be an excellent get for the Astros.... Verlander, Cole and Paxton is the best 1-3 in the league. Paxton has some real untapped potential.

AznH-TownFan, King1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

So it sounds like Yordan Alveraz would be the start of the package.

8. Nook

Nook Member

No... I would not assume that at all.

raining threes likes this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Well Florial is prospect Ranked 45
    Alvarez is 42

Not saying they are the same
    But
    Andujar is our White.

So I mean it's around that type of person.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly I think Framber Valdez would be a great start. I wouldnt trade Josh James.
    I wonder if they bite on Framber, Dawson and Chris Devenski?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you saying the Yankees Michael Andujar is equivalent to Tyler White? If not, what do you mean that “Andujar is our White”?

There is not a GM alive or dead that would make that claim.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I have no idea where to start with this.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Easy... at a MINIMUM his moves pushes the payroll north of 220 million.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs posted an updated prospect valuation article:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/

Teams are bound to have wildly different internal valuations on prospects outside the top 50, but I do think there is a general consensus about the top 50. And I pretty much agree on that articles value of Tucker (~$55M), Whitley (~$55M), and Alvarez (~$30M). I think Houston would place a much higher value on their 2nd tier guys (C Perez, Nova, Beer, F Valdez, C Martin, James, Bukauskas) than that article suggests; I’d peg those guys to be worth $15-30M each.

Anyway, it’s probably a useful reference when trying to come up with hypothetical trades for guys like Realmuto (~$50M surplus value), Goldschmidt ($20M), Paxton ($40M), Kluber ($60M), and Greinke (-$10). Basically, Kluber is the only guy worth Tucker or Whitley being included and even then there wouldn’t be much else included. If Miami wants a headliner like Tucker or Whitley, they’d need to cover Realmuto’s 2019 salary, and then essentially agree to a 1 for 1 trade; same for Seattle and Paxton. Arizona could probably get a headliner of Tucker or Whitley if they covered $50M+ of Greinke’s salary. Regardless, I think we can safely assume Tucker and Whitley are off the table, and that Alvarez, Bukauskas, and James can form a very valuable package worthy of any player available.

Marteen, awc713 and No Worries like this.
  15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

"Andujar is our White" is a pretty asinine statement dude. There is not a single GM, Luhnow included, that would take Tyler freaking White over Miguel Andujar.

You are being pretty ridiculous with your posts. I tried to ask nicely for you to take a breather, I am not sure if you are making many friends here.

At least we found the President of the Tyler White fan club!

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Best thing all of us can do is ignore him. He’s horrible.

White has value. He’s a ~1 WAR player with a lot of control left. He’s probably has $20M in surplus value to the right team. But that’s less than 1/2 of what a player like Andujar is worth.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That has to be cangrejero. The posting style and asinine trade/Free Agent takes, along with the inability to correctly spell anyone's name (Colon McHugh?) is a dead giveaway.

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Carlos Santana for DH? Per MLBTR, the Phillies are "trying like hell" to move him and the remaining 2 years, $35M. It sounds like the acquisition cost would be minimal, even if we ask them to throw in half of the remaining money due to him. After a down year, he'd be a buy low candidate, but could bounce back being surrounded by, and having more protection, in our lineup.

The early trend to me is that there seems to be a surplus of sellers, and value out there (i.e. Cruz, Murphy, Brantley, Greinke, Carrasco, Paxton, Kluber, Pollock, Goldy). I say we pounce early.

texans1095 likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Coincidentally, they both joined in 2014, although cangrejero joined 5 months after.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only way Santana makes sense for Houston is if Philly eats almost all of his remaining contract and doesn’t expect much in return. The value of defensively limited players is at an all time low and the market is flooded (Goldschmidt, Santana, Martinez, Smoak, Cron, Adams, Murphy, Encarnacion, Chisenhall, Walker, Morrison, Bautista, Cruz, Morales, Gattis, Hanley, Gonzalez, Jones, Holliday are all league average or better hitters who don’t have much/any defensive value and they’re all available).