1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You live in fantasy land. The Marlins turned down a deal 4 months ago that included Victor Robles who is/was a higher rated prospect than Tucker. Two years of control of the best catcher in baseball will cost you Tucker and then some

2. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have some degree of interest.

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Would rather sign Cruz but I understand the want to go get a LH bat.

I'd love to sign Cruz and Ramos to short term deals and then go find a SP on the trade market.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d guess Houston will have some degree of interest in every free agent position player that checks these boxes:

1. Cost <$15M/yr, willing to sign for 3 years or less
    2. Strikes out <22%
    3. wRC+ >100

Basing it on 2018 stats and projected contracts, that list would be:

Steve Pearce
    Nelson Cruz
    Wilson Ramos
    Lonnie Chisenhall
    Michael Brantley
    Jed Lowrie
    Andrew McCutchen
    Nick Markakis
    Denard Span
    Asdrubal Cabrera
    Daniel Murphy
    Kurt Suzuki
    Matt Adams
    Mike Moustakas

No Worries likes this.
  5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Astros are interested in Grandal. Would have to give up a pick but will get one back with Keuchel walking. I'm a fan.

6. ktex

ktex Member

Feels to me like we aren't planning on doing much of anything. Moving McHugh from the BP to the starting rotation- thus weakening both areas. These "championship windows" will close faster than you think if you sit on your hands.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is the kind of comment folks were making last offseason, right before Luhnow traded for Gerrit Cole. They’re not going to “sit on their hands”. They know what’s at stake and how quickly the window can close. The moves they make may seem underwhelming at the time, but Luhnow has earned our trust.

awc713 and raining threes like this.
  8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Remember when I was perturbed that we didn't trade for Ramos, who seemingly was traded for less prospect value. But then it was explained to me that Maldonado was a defensive gem with a cannon for an arm. The cannon for an arm was accurate, but little did we know, we had just traded for a catcher who couldn't catch.

As an armchair GM, I'd do the following:
    Sign Nelson Cruz to a 2 year deal
    Sign Daniel Murphy to a 2 year deal (if we are not going to re-sign Marwin)
    Sign Wilson Ramos (or even Robinson Chirinos if we need to save a few bucks)
    Sign Andrew Miller (since we will probably need to move McHugh back to the rotation)

Probably about $50M added to the payroll right there. Since they are all 2-3 year deals, I wouldn't let a $4-5M overpay bother me.

Trade for Kluber (Kyle Tucker + a couple other top 10-15 prospects)

Our defense takes a hit, because I put Murph at 1B, Yuli at LF, and Cruz at DH. But our lineup would more than compensate for that, in my humble opinion:

Springer CF
    Bregman 3B
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    Cruz DH
    Murphy 1B
    Yuli LF
    Ramos/Chirinos C
    Reddick RF

Rotation:
    Verlander
    Kluber
    Cole
    McHugh
    Josh James/Whitley/other solid internal option

Bullpen:
    Roberto Osuna (CL)
    Ryan Pressly (right hand set up)
    Andrew Miller (left hand set up)
    Will Harris
    Brad Peacock
    Chris Devenski
    Hector Rondon
    Joe Smith

I know it probably won't happen, but all of those free agent targets seem reasonable (trading for Kluber is probably a pipedream), but if have anything close to the above, that's a [even stronger] powerhouse than we've had for the last few years. It would be a scary good team.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Brother, the offseason hasn't even really started yet. If nothing is done by January 1 then the pouting can begin but baseball moves way slower than any other sport.

IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LMFAO

BigM, Marteen and adw like this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I
    Fantasy land???

It as just reported.
    Pitcher with lots of upside
    Everyday young postional player

CORBIN MARTIN AND TYLER WHITE

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Tyler White is 28 and will be entering arbitration after next year. He's not really an everyday positional player either.

Tucker and Corbin Martin MIGHT get it done if they like them compared to the other offers out there.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've heard the Marlins turned down Robles. If that is true, Realmuto to Astros is likely a no go. Astros are looking for a sucker trade partner willing to accept a lot of unconsolidated expected WAR for short term consolidated expected WAR. Astros are not looking to trade a top prospect with 6 more years of MLB service for two years of club control.

Nook likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scott Boras is opening his press conference by talking about declining attendance in MLB this year, which he blames on teams deliberately becoming uncompetitive.

Boras just said LSU’s baseball attendance is greater than the Marlins. “The fans of Florida have certainly brought the MIA to Miami.”

Scott Boras’ State of the Union address is off and going. He has three pages of notes. He starts off by crushing MLB attendance and blaming it on teams being non-competitive. He said the Blue Jays are suffering from “Blue Flu” and the Marlins bring “the M-I-A to Miami.”

Scott Boras blasts #MLB for having cancer of non-competitiveness,saying ‘when teams come to Minnesota, only one of the Twins show up.’

“We have a cancer” says Boras about a system in such things as the draft that rewards systemic losing. Said teams that try to win and say go from 65 to 75 wins should be rewarded.

Boras was critical of Van Wagenen going from agent to GM. But he is about 15 minutes into what sounds like a stump speech to be Commissioner or union head. Actually: defending his turf. He wants teams to spend on players/clients

Scott Boras has dubbed his client's free agency as "Harper's Bazaar"

Scott Boras on Bryce Harper: “Certainly Harper’s bazaar has begun. It’s fashionable. It’s historical. It’s elite. Global certainly. And certainly it has inspirations that deal with great shoes and great hair.”

On Harper: “The rocket ship of opportunity is just blasting off.”

“I think Bryce is open to a lot of opportunities. He’s listened to a lot of things...I think he’s going to hear everything from every one.”

Scott Boras was asked about negotiating with Brodie Van Wagenen in the future, having been his once rival: "I don't think any of my clients consider us rivals."

Asked where the Mets are shopping this offseason, Boras said: “They are shopping at Fred’s.”

"Philosophically, I've always rejected the notion" that an agent can become a GM, Scott Boras says.

Boras adds: "I've never talked to Brodie Van Wagenen in my life." He says when he meets with the Mets to negotiate this winter, he can talk to the Wilpons or other staffers.

Scott Boras called Dallas Keuchel "the Tom Glavine and Andy Pettitte of our generation."

"WAR is such an overrated stat," Scott Boras said.

#454 J.R., Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros need to replace 9.2 fWAR from their rotation:

+1 can come from Whitley when he arrives
    +1 can come from moving McHugh to the rotation
    +2 can come from Josh James as SP5
    +1 can come from adding a good bullpen arm to take McHugh’s spot in the bullpen

So they need to add a proven starter who profiles to put up 4+ fWAR next season. None of the free agent starters is projected that high, and only 5 project to put up 3+: Corbin, Keuchel, Morton, Happ, and Eovaldi.

Digging deeper, here are the players who might reasonably be expected to put up 3+ fWAR next season and be available this offseason:

Paxton
    Greinke
    Corbin
    J Gray
    Happ
    Keuchel
    Stroman
    Morton
    Godley

I feel like Houston should have made a better play for Chris Archer. From where I sit I think the odds are pretty low of the Astros being able to match last year’s rotation barring somebody breaking out in a big way.

16. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Astros might not be able to match 2018 starting pitching rotation but if we can match 2017 offensively, we should be able to compete with Boston and Yanks again.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've been so busy at work, travel and trying to buy a home (good lord what a nightmare) and haven't been able to pay much attention on the Kuechel situation. Is he a for sure not going to be here guy next year? Are the Stros interested at all in trying to keep him besides the QO?

I do love seeing the dream lineups with Kluber, Ramos and Brantley (dude rakes when healthy and rarely ever strikes out. Hes on my high $ dynasty team so I watch his stats closely. ) Would still love to see another strong bullpen arm but have zero idea how much money the Stros are willing to commit to increase payroll.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

#458 J.R., Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sources: The Mariners are working to finish a trade that would send catcher Mike Zunino and outfielder Guillermo Heredia to the Rays in exchange for outfielder Mallex Smith. Deal could be finalized in the next day.

Marteen and Nook like this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly I dont know what will happen nor does anyone else but from all the chatter its gonna get crazy very very soon.

Could you imagine Phillies getting Machado and Harper along with two of the top Pitchers?? That would be interesting