1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LeBron is much older. I suggest you compare Trout's earnings to James Harden who is around the same age as Trout.

Mike Trout has made $78 million at 26 and will make another $430 million by the time he's 38, for a lifetime earnings of $510 million.

James Harden has made $117 million at 28 and will make another $200 million by the time he's 33. That's $317 million. The question is can James Harden get another $190 million at 33? Well that's possible, considering Tillman gave CP3 $160 million at 33.

So a great player in the NBA can make Trout level money realistically. James Harden has a chance to.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And Rice University!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guaranteed money is everything. Its not simply "economics".... its that baseball players have more longevity, physically play more games per year (where more people attend a baseball season's worth of games than any other sport), and the best of the best usually contain a package of skillsets that would transcend any sport (Trout could very well be a football player... but not all football players could very well be a baseball player).

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. astros123

astros123 Member

You do know that Trout is currently getting paid right? Why are you forgetting the 150 million dollar contract he signed prior to this one? In your example Harden would have to make another 340 million to match Trout salary which he obviously isn't going to do. Baseball>

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What are you talking about? The Angels are ripping up the last 2 years of that contract. He's not getting that money anymore.

I care about career earnings. Trout has made $78 million to date. Will make $430 million with this new contract. That's almost $500 million. The NBA's salary structure allows for players to approach that level of compensation for their career. I can see Harden, Giannis, Anthony Davis, heck even Niko Jokic might do it. Plus these are a handful of guys, not just 1 guy like Trout.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like they agree! No hard feelings on the $500k. It seemed like a fair deal, but it's got to be completely life changing to sign a $100 million guaranteed contract.

BTW, you've called the interest in the Pressley move I believe. That was great to see.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Anthony Davis if he stayed in NO would make more than Trout.

$95 million in earnings after this season (he is 26)
    $27 million next year, so by 27 (same age as Trout, he would have made $122 million)

Davis turned down 5/$240 last offseason. so he would have made $360 million at 32. If healthy, he could easily sign for another $200 million. Making his total career earnings $560 million.

9. Major

Major Member

I'm sorry to say I really can't help you if you don't have basic reading comprehension.

LonghornFan likes this.
  10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

So apparently the regular season actually started last night in Tokyo. Fiers looks to be back to the Fiers we all know and love. I have a feeling the Ms are going to be a nuisance this year

jim1961 likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The M's are not going to be good and they're going to continue to be sellers. The A's are due some regression. The Angels are the height of mediocrity. The rangers might be looking at 110 losses. I really hate making predictions and looking that far forward...but it's really hard not to imagine that the Astros don't win the AL West by at least 10 games.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Honestly, I think that’s a big reason that DK and Marwin weren’t brought back. Not only do we have the depth to sustain those losses, but the lack of serious competition for the next few seasons allows us the breathing room/flixibility to not overpay. That, and the money needed to resign DK/Marwin can be allocated to players we’ll need to keep when the AL West starts becoming more competitive.

That said, I think the Angels will be our biggest thorn in 2019. Good offense and defense. I think they’re a darkhorse to come in and snipe DK if the price drops enough, and could be active at the trade market if they’re within striking distance of us.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bud Norris faints ;)

Marteen and bobrek like this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

What do you all think about Baseball incorporating more in game viewing angles like this one? Did anyone check out MLB and Samsung's 5g Presentation this past month? Freaking sick as hell how the future is going look in regards to watching MLB.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Were they playing in a dome? Makes sense for all domes...

16. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely they need more and better camera angles, for the fans and the umps. Unless you have a stationary blimp over the stadium though, you won't be getting that shot in most places.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A drone?

18. Buck Turgidson

Can they get high enough with good enough resolution and stay stable enough in the wind to get good enough video for a broadcast? Geo-stadiu-synchronous drone?

If a ball hits the drone is it in play or foul?

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not sure. But you would get a birds eye view of the launch angle ;)

20. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Just finished reading an article from the Athletic over the Diamondbacks rebuilding/reloading effort by Peter Gammons. Don’t know how much validity to the article is in regards to potential trades, but he mentions in the article that the Diamondbacks accepted the Cardinals trade for Goldschmidt after the Astros refused to trade both Bukauskas and Martin.

I know Luhnow has a plan, but Goldschmidt would look great at first for the Astros. Unfortunately the article doesn’t mention what else the Diamondbacks were asking for.

Apologies I can’t link the article as it’s behind a paywall.