1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You are right, Marwin is a decent player and his real value is playing decent as several spots.

I love the sentimental thought of having a clubhouse good guy and World Series game 2 hero returning to the club on a friendly deal. I just don't think it happens since Brantley, Diaz and Kemp are on the roster. Brantley is a professional left-handed bat in the order that is better than Marwin. Diaz plays that right handed utility role with a better OPS with youth and cheapness and team control on his side. Kemp gives you the left-handed OF/2B and his small sample size last year was slightly better OPS than Marwin's .737 OPS.

Current roster is really only needing a pitcher. I would guess if Marwin came back for a steal then trading Kemp, Marisnick and/or Reddick along with farm talent would be a great option to get the needed pitcher that would be under team control. I feel like White is locked in at DH /1B, there is a chance he gets to the next level of consistency so unless White is demanded he should be safe.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

WOW. Whit Merrifield extended by KC for 4y 16m. Great deal...reminds me of (the first) Altuve's extension.

Those type of numbers don't bode well for Marwin.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Yeah. It's a pre-arb buyout but still really low. You'd think the AL leader in hits and stolen bases could get more than that in arbitration.
    He is sneaky old though.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yep.

Merrifield turned 30 a few days ago. That means he wouldn't be a free agent until 34. If he has a bad year next season it could have an impact on his arbitration earnings. He's better off taking the guaranteed money that actually equals to what DJ LaMahieu received during arbitration. If he's still a good player at 34 as a free agent he can probably get a few years at around 10 million per season.

Even though he led the league in steals, his game isn't totally predicated on speed. Only 12% of his career hits were infield or bunt hits compared to Altuve who has 18% of his hits being infield or bunt hits. Which by the way, is a concern with Altuve having the knee surgery.

#3324 Redfish81, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Did you forget Altuve said he'll be 120% by spring training, doesn't that mean now 22% of his hit will be infield hits?

Seriously I hope this dude is still churning out 200+ hits.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

In a world where $400 million dollars contracts are talked about many people tend to forget that $16 million dollars is life changing. You are set up for your entire life from that day forward. If you are ever broke after that, it’s your own fault

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Astros offered only two years plus an option and are one of the 3 finalist. WOW

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Paul Crane. Any relation?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Crazy. Getting Keuchel for 2 plus an option would badass, almost regardless of the aav. Almost no way Houston can really lose on that deal.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Never heard of him. Is Paul Crane legit?

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Even if it’s $25MM per year, a two year deal for Keuchel would be great

mikol13 likes this.
  12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

That would bring our total budget to within 4 million of the luxury cap. If we sign Keuchel at 25 mil and make no further deals, we have almost no money for the rest of 2019.

Pass.

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

It’s not gonna be much lower than that for a short term deal.

We can certainly duct tape a couple of lower level prospects to Reddick and dump his salary.

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Reddick is a quality player on a contending team. There is no way we dump his salary unless it's to upgrade the position. I don't see it happening in this market.

At most I think Keuchel is offered the 17.9 QO for 2 years, with 15 mil as an option for the 3rd.

This is the most I think we can afford to invest in him this year.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

What a weird offseason so far. You could make a legit playoff team just on the market alone! With, what, less than two weeks until pitchers and catchers report? Crazy.

LonghornFan likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

....or improve the team.

Not sure what offers are out there, but if decision is to stand pat or acquire Keuchel by dumping Reddick....Who gets to post Reddick Appreciation Thread?

Caveat: I don't expect Reddick to be able to hold off Tucker all year.

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

If Tucker forces his way onto the roster, I think it's more likely as a 13th offensive player, or injury replacement. If he begins to outplay Reddick, I think we may get creative. Reddick's arm in RF will likely keep him on the roster.

18. HTown2017Champs

Tucker is never going to develop without regular MLB playing time. We already have Springer and Brantley in CF and LF. Kemp will also play in the equation. Dumping Reddick's salary also gives us flexibility if we need to make a move at the deadline.

19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

There is a 90% chance Kemp doesn't make the roster. There is just no room for him.

And I disagree that Tucker can't develop without an everyday role. With our flex lineup that gives players continual rest, Tucker could easily find 300+ AB as a 13th position player, over the course of an entire season.

20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Right now, we have plenty of flexibility to make a deadline move.