1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I appreciate the well-thought-out response. I agree with The Beard--I don't see us committing to a 13-man offense throughout the year; especially with a lot of unknown parts on the pitching staff.

I also don't see us essentially getting rid of both Marisnick and Kemp, AND blocking Tucker, in order to accommodate him on the 25 man roster.

Marisnick is still our only backup CF (aside from Straw). Marwin can't play CF, so this doesn't fix this issue either if you toss Jake.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I would most certainly keep Jake.

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

If that's the case, then you would have to run with:

C: Chirinos, Stassi
    IF: Altuve, Gurriel, Bregman, Correa, Marwin, Diaz, White
    OF: Brantley, Springer, Reddick, Marisnick

Tucker could ONLY come up at this point via an injury replacement.

IMO, not only would Marwin not get regularly playing time on this roster, he would keep the high ceiling of Tucker from every seeing the light of day.

And then back to the 12 man likelihood....

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Only way Marwin makes sense is if we trade Kemp and White. Then you rotate the DH with Marwin, Diaz and other guys that you want to give a day off from playing in the field.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I don’t see any value with Marwin at DH. His entire value is being on the field as a versatile player.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree with you. Maybe you put him in left and have Brantley DH. I was just pointing out that to get him on the roster Kemp and White would most likely have to go. It doesn't make sense to spend the money on Marwin in my opinion. I would rather run Tyler White out at DH for 500k.

7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I agree there too. The whole point of bringing in Brantley was to upgrade LF. Getting rid of White—one of our most productive players in 2018–to use most of remaining FA $ on Marwin is counterintuitive.

8. Buck Turgidson

Why would they keep Diaz *and* Marwin?

No Worries likes this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

That’s a great rotation of guys. And I do think Marwin could be a 130 game guy, he can spell anyone on the infield (and I expect more regular rest), be an impact in LF with talk of Brantley getting some days as DH or at 1B.

There will be injuries and Tucker will be called up. If he reaches his level of expectation, he won’t go back down. It’s not like Tyler White or Marisnick aren’t replaceable or long term contracts with Tucker, Nova, Beer, etc coming through the system, they have trade value or could be outrighted

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wouldn't. We were just responding to Crane saying they were open to bringing Marwin back. I don't think it makes sense.

Nook likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We wouldn't.

People are emotionally attached to Marwin and it's causing them to throw out any baseball logic.

awc713, Smacktle, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Exactly

The ONLY way Marwin makes sense is if you trade Diaz, but then you consider the money difference and it still doesn’t make sense

I love Marwin, we might not have a ring without him. Makes zero sense to sign him on this roster now

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marwin is a better 1B than Gurriel. Could also trade him.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Diaz still has an option so he could be sent to the minors to make room for Marwin. But more likely it would mean trading White. I don’t think there’s a spot for Kemp either way (assuming everybody stays healthy).

Unless Marwin is willing to come back for SUPER cheap (something like $10M/2yr), it just doesn’t make much sense. since Marwin can bat lefthanded it does make some sense to have him in the order between to righties:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Marwin
    1B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    C Chirinos
    Bench: Diaz/White/Kemp, Marisnick, Stassi

#3254 Snake Diggit, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do think Cranes comments should throw cold water on any idea of Houston signing Harper.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont think Crane's comments in regards to Marwin/DK mean anything at all. Just PR talk. Saying what he had to say is all there is here.

Smacktle likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to his comments on DK/Marwin; I was referring to his comments about the trend in free agency, and how giving out 10+ year deals is a bad idea:

“I think that teams are very focused on value,” said Crane of the business-wide approach to free agency. “I don’t know that you’ll see many more ten-year deals in this business anymore because the analytics are so good and a lot of those deals never work.”

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In that case, not necessarily. We could still sign Harper, but it would require Harper to take a significantly shorter deal. If any club wanted to sign Harper to 10 years, he would already be inked. So the question becomes, what length deal will Harper take?

I cant help but think that the longer Harper is available, the shorter the deal he ultimately takes.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A lot of evidence teams are running out of money in their budgets. While 10/2 may still be low, I'm not sure it is out of the ballpark right now. Thinking 20-25/3 may do it.

#3259 Joe Joe, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We don't need Marwin, period. Diaz is comparable offensively and adequate defensively and cost way less. If we add another bat it needs to be a masher or an upgrade at catcher. I think we are done with position players unless something extremely lucky falls in our laps. We either re-sign DK or go to war with the current roster until the non-waiver deadline. It already is a much improved line-up with healthy Correa and Altuve and Brantley. Chirinos is an upgrade offensively. I would love Harper or Realmuto, but has become increasingly clear that we are not the front runners for any of them.

RocketToVegas likes this.