1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, this is the second time the teams have spoken. They recently spoke about Minor.

2. Major

Major Member

They tried to add 2 months of non-free-agent Harper last year - not 10 years of record-contract-Harper.

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Agreed. We would have been around 190 mil. I expect about 200 mil this year.

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

So if we add Cruz and intend to play Tucker/Reddick in RF....

Which players must go?

White?
    Kemp?
    Marisnick?
    All of the above?

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are discussing other outfielders with other clubs... they have had Tucker and Reddick involved in trade talks. So I’m not so sure we know what the outfield will look like, hell I don’t think Luhnow knows after talking to Kevin.

Marisnick isn’t going anywhere, his trade value isn’t high enough and we need a real centerfielder. He will likely play a lot too if he gets close to a .700 OPS. Brantley will play some DH as well.

The Astros told White to work on his glove at first when the season ended... so maybe he gets the first base job if Gurriel is moved. At this point Cruz is just a DH.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

JL: “hey guys, what do you want for Mazara?”
    Ramgers: “How about we start with...”
    JL: “just kidding, f off”

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Tbh, I'm kind of surprised that Tucker is in trade talks. I didn't want to believe it since it sounded clickbaity.

8. Nook

Nook Member

His names has been discussed in acquiring starting pitching. If I had to guess, I think it is better than 50/50 Tucker is back. I will just say that he is polarizing within the organization.

No Worries, Snake Diggit and Marteen like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It was more of the Astros showing interest, the Rangers making an absurd request and the Astros quickly moving on like they did after calling about Minor.

10. Buck Turgidson

Bingo.

Nook likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I got my numbers for arbitration salaries from MLBTR. Feel free to plug in other numbers from other sources, they won't change all that much.

You are apparently confusing payroll versus what MLB counts towards the lux tax.

The only things I'm unsure about are how a guy with a MLB salary (like Lance or Smith) who then gets put on the 60-day DL affects the CMT numbers; and how do performance bonuses factor into the equation.

12. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, but your numbers are wrong.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  13. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Gurriel is a key part of our team. Seriously doubt he is moved. I think White is being replaced at DH, and only has value as a multi-tool. We already have one of those in Diaz, so he likely is gone.

I agree with Marisnick. He’s likely kept in the organization. I don’t think he will be on the active roster, however, unless Springer gets hurt. Now if we move White, Kemp and Reddick, I could see Jake still being the 4th OF.

As far as Tucker and trade talks go, I’m getting the impression he’s only be asked for, not offered.

14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

“Sorry, you got the wrong number”. Beep beep beep beep beep

15. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

They aren’t my #s. If u disagree with baseball reference, I’d like to hear where u disagree with them.

16. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Did you look at the baseball reference link?

17. Buck Turgidson

Yes, and it has little to do with what I've been trying to tell you, but go ahead and die on that hill...

I literally do not know how to put things in front of you any other way.

What exactly do you disagree with? Give me numbers, I broke mine down, you do the same and show me where I'm wrong, OK?

CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Baseball reference literally breaks everything down for you on the bottom of the page.

19. Buck Turgidson

Again: Where am I wrong:

Guaranteed Contracts: 99.3
    Arbitration Estimates: 48
    Pre-Arb + rest of 40 man: 8
    Benefits: 14
    AAV adjustments for Altuve, Verlander, Rondon, Smith, Yuli: 9.9

Equals 179M

CBT (luxury tax) is at 206.

That leaves 27 million not taking into consideration my rounding off of numbers.

That 27M also includes any salary they would want to take on during the season (such as deadline trades).

Nook likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I just looked at it, and funny enough it does not have Michael Brantley's salary included, it just says FA (that's why one of those bottom lines says $83M, and there are other mistakes by omission as well.).

No wonder your maths are wrong, gotta look at the details and stay up on current events.

CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.