1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Luhnow has serious questions about being able to build a sustainable model. He has candidly in the past said as much.

So while it would be wonderful for it to happen, the reality is that it will depend on where the club is and how it is performing in 18 months.

That doesn't even take into account the head of the ownership group that is very much in the boat of win now.

There is a real possibility that the Astros are rebuilding, and it is a sentiment held within the organization.

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You have to wonder, though...with the Mets adding pieces and trying to get back into contention, why are there reports that they'd move one of their best SP's?

3. Buck Turgidson

I don't see it either, their GM said they're the favorites to win their division after the Ramos signing.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Perhaps injury concerns? Which should also be cause of concern for us. But I'm not afraid of calculated risks (unless Thor has the same thing ol' boy Brady Aiken has). For the Mets specifically, they actually already have a surplus of outfielders, which throws more cold water on that option. I am more speaking in hypotheticals though, as I eagerly await more good news this offseason.

Nook likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've been hearing that from Luhnow, as well, but it seems calculated. Guessing he is trying to prep the fan base that Verlander, Cole, Correa, Keuchel, Morton, Marwin, Reddick, and Gurriel would not be re-signed. I'm not expecting Astros to do a full rebuild, but expect a drop off when those guys leave. I'm not expecting the drop off to make Astros non-division contenders.

Nook likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current wishlist:

Sign C Yasmani Grandal, 1B Daniel Murphy, RP Justin Wilson, and P Drew Pomeranz

Trade Stassi and Kemp for lotto prospects

At the end of Spring Training, assuming no major injuries have occurred, trade Gurriel or Diaz, depending on who will bring back the better value.

Hawk waivers for 2 optionable players

Opening Day Roster:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    1B Murphy
    SS Correa
    C Grandal
    DH White
    RF Reddick
    Bench: Diaz, Chirinos, Marisnick
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, McHugh, James, Pomeranz
    Bullpen: Peacock, Devenski, Wilson, Smith, Harris, Rondon, Pressly, Osuna

60 Day DL: McCullers

Optioned: Stubbs, Reed, Davis, Straw, Tucker, Fisher, Armenteros, Valdez, Perez, Rodgers, Abreu, Guduan, Deetz, TBD, TBD

That roster is utterly stacked and they’d still have Tucker and all their other prospects to supplement during the season via callup or trade. They may even have some payroll capacity left.

Nook likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Stros currently have ~25M to spend before hitting the Crane-mandated luxury tax barrier.

Nook likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is that with the 14 million or so in player benefits that count towards the Crane-mandated luxury tax barrier?

Nook, Buck Turgidson and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

How do you figure that? Luxury tax is over $200M, after adding Brantley I have them at $158M (including all arb players and McCullers). That would give them $40M+. Is it because Altuve’s contract has the AAV used for luxury tax purposes, or what else am I missing? Either way, signing those 4 guys might not cost much more than $25M in 2019, especially if they jettison Gurriel’s salary.

#2049 Snake Diggit, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. mario elie

mario elie Member

If that's the attitude, then I hope they go for broke the next 2 seasons. Trade for Realmuto and a legit third starter. Sign Cruz. Try to win it all.

Nook likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Evan Gattis is an unsigned free agent now...correct? I would assume he's done as an Astro if we're talking about signing Cruz as a DH. I liked Gattis and his story. It's too bad his bat was so inconsistent. I like him when he's hitting. ;)

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am a fan of Gattis. It’s a bummer he can’t play catcher anymore and wasn’t a more consistent hitter. Unfortunately I think he will be lucky to get a major league contract, likely having to settle for a minor league contract with a ST invite. Guys with his profile have fared very poorly in free agency over the last few years.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Yes, and the 2ish million for the rest of the 40-man roster. MLBTR has the Astros arb salaries at 48M so I went with that.

Oh, and that 25M includes any salary they want to add during the season.

14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Jeremy Williams

My realistic hopes:

Sign Cruz to a similar deal as Brantley.
    Trade Tucker, Reed and Stassi for Realmuto
    Trade Kemp, JD Davis, Fisher, Martin and Bukauskas for Kluber

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Cruz
    SS Correa
    C Realmuto
    1B Gurriel
    RF Reddick

BN Chirinos
    BN White (Marisnick if we sustain an OF injury)
    BN Diaz

SP Verlander
    SP Cole
    SP Kluber
    SP McHugh
    SP James

RP Osuna
    RP Pressly
    RP Rondon
    RP Harris
    RP Devenski
    RP Peacock
    RP Valdez
    RP Smith

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As awesome as that would be for Houston, they’re not getting Kluber with that pu pu platter. Tucker is their big chip; they can use him for Realmuto or they can use him for an ace. But they aren’t going to get both.

Nook likes this.
  18. Jeremy Williams

Let's assume we add Cruz.

Pick 3 players to sell:

Tucker
    Marisnick
    Kemp
    Reddick
    White

Which 3 do you move?

19. Jeremy Williams

Kluber is owed 17 million per year for 3 years. While he might be worth 25 per year, his value is capped by his price tag. I think that haul would be a good one for the Indians.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They’re not trading Kluber for that hodgepodge of prospects. Would you? It’s not happening.

Nook likes this.