1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Very slow day at work, so I'm thinking out loud... let the rambling ensue. I was looking at the list of free agents this morning and had a few thoughts. I'd love to know everyone's opinion here.

I'm in agreement with a lot of you, that we should not spend a ton of money on anyone. Cliff Lee and Crawford are out of the question, not only because it'd be dumb for a team as far from contention as us to spend our resources there, but let's face it, they wouldn't be coming here anyway. The Yankees or Red Sox will see to that.

I do think our division is winnable, as there is nobody in the central that looks like a world-beater. Yes the Cards are good (but declining) and the Reds are good (but have some free agents), but the Cubs are the Cubs, the Pirates are the Pirates, and the Brewers might trade Prince... from a club that wasn't all that good to begin with. So, if our scrappy, young Astros put a little putty in the cracks and tighten up a few spots, we could surprise people.

We need offense and everyone can always use pitching. Weakest area of the team (other than the immovable object in Left), is probably up the middle in the infield. Castro, Manzella/Sanchez, and Kepp man the areas we could improve the most. I think Kepp stays put, so it's catcher and short, with the emphasis at catcher being a mentor/placeholder for Castro. We also need a 4th/5th outfielder and super-sub. Team speed is a bit of an issue as well.

Position players that should be on our radar:

Felipe Lopez (30) - Switch hitter that can play 2nd, 3rd, and short. Would only be used as an extra infielder. Hit only .231 last year and has little to now power. This would be a cheap, last-ditch option, but he wouldn't be terrible in this role. .231 avg/.311 obp/.345 slg/8 hr/ 37 rbi

Jhonny Peralta (29) - Righty, plays third and short. Good defensive player and an okay hitter... much better hitter right now than Manzella and could steal some time from him. I think he could be a starter for us. Only 29... Between CLE & DET: .249 avg/ .328 obp/ .392 slg/ 15 hr/ 81 rbi.

Wilson Betemit (29) - Switch hitter, mainly a 3rd baseman but I could see him coming off the bench and playing more than one position. In 276 AB's last year, he posted a .378 obp and we need help in that department. I don't think he has a good defensive reputation, but that might be heresay .297 avg/ .378 obp/ .511 slg/ 13 hr/ 43 rbi

Jose Lopez (27) - Righty, mainly a 3rd basemen. Excellent defensive player that by some estimations outpaced the entire league at 3rd. On the flip side, he's got Adam Everett's bat. He's only 27, so it might be worth a look if he comes cheap, but I think he might climb into the $5 mil range. .239 avg/ .270 obp (OUCH!)/ .339 slg/ 10 hr/ 58 rbi

Bengie or Jose Molina (36) - Both righty, catchers. Fine defensive players and great with a staff. Both of their value at the plate is minimal. I think either could be an excellent mentor to young Castro as well as a passable fill-in at the dish.

Bengie (between the 2 WS teams): .249 avg/.297 obp/.326 slg/ 5 HR/ 36 rbi
    Jose: .246 avg/ .304 obp/ .377 slg/ 6 hr/ 12 rbi

Marcus Thames (34) - Right, LF. Great pop off the bench is pretty much all he would bring. He can hit, and he'd be cheap as the Yanks don't seem inclined to bring him back. His defense makes Carlos Lee look like Carl Crawford though... okay not that bad. .288 avg/ .350 obp/ .491 slg/ 12 hr/ 33 rbi

Austin Kearns (31) - righty, LF. Decent hitter. Mainly I want him so I can yell my favorite ever Simpsons line at him from the stands ("It's Kearns stupid!). .263 avg/ .351 obp/ .395 slg/ 10 hr/ 49 rbi

Finally... Willy T. Why not? If he's still got some lead in his pencil, and can steal a base? At worst he battles Bourgeois in camp to be Bourne's right handed backup. In only 27 games and 35 ab's last year, he got 7 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's, 1 steal. Yikes. Maybe he's done.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

The only one of those players I would even consider signing is Peralta, and it sounds like the interest is mutual between him and the Tigers in him returning to Detroit. We don't need a catcher.

I like Lopez, but realistically, he's not a good enough defender to play shortstop, and Keppinger is just as good a second baseman.

We don't need any "mainly a third baseman". We need to find out what we really have in Chris Johnson.

We don't need any catchers. Jason Castro will likely take a big step forward. He's still the catcher of the future, and he's ready for the majors at this point.

None of those outfielders are remotely inspiring. Would rather trot Brian Bogusevic out there, or even (shudder) Lee, because Wallace needs to be starting at first base.

3. eric.81

ADDENDUM TO MY ABOVE POST: I was looking at an outdated list of free agents. So, a few to add to the above, without going into as much detail: Melky Cabrera (26), Gary Matthews Jr. (36), Cesar Izturis (31), and Bill Hall (31).

Also important to point out that Felipe Lopez, Jhonny Peralta, and Jose Lopez are all type-B free agents.

4. eric.81

While I completely understand where you're coming from, I'm looking at it as a talent vs. need issue. No we don't "need" a catcher or a third baseman or another aging outfielder. I just think we need to do something to elevate the talent level across the board. Would Thames or Kearns be an upgrade from Michaels? Would a Molina brother be an upgrade from Q? Would Lopez or Betamit be a better substitute player than Blum?

I'm not saying they will be, but I think we could make a case.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would add Manzella to your list of players that the Astros need to find out about next year. My guess is that he will do better next year, but is still a long shot in becoming an everyday MLB players.

The Astros have players that they need to play everyday next year, just to see if they can develop into everyday players (Castro, Wallace, Manzella) or to see if they can sustain their early success (Johnson). If these four players underperform, the Astros offensive woes will continue, if not get worse. Even if they do perform better, it hard for me to see the Astros becoming an average offensive team.

And Wade will certainly make moves this winter. I have no idea what he is going to target. Rumors say starting pitching and SS. We will see.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

My wish list for this offseason..

Javier Vazquez
    Bill Hall
    Melky Cabrera - Struggled some but has talent, maybe catch lighting in a bottle.

7. eric.81

Love it... Hall can play 2 infield positions and left. Melky could play anywhere in the outfield, and Vazquez will do much better in the NL and away from the light of NY.

8. rockets934life

You're looking at probably a 2 yr - 8 million dollar deal for JV, Hall you can get for probably a 1 or 2 yr deal worth 4 - 5 Million and Melky should be no more than a 1 yr 2 million dollar deal. So that is about 8-9 million per yr to improve your team measurably and all short term deals, if anything give JV an option for a 3rd yr.

Bourn
    Keppinger
    Pence
    Lee
    Wallace
    Johnson
    Hall
    Castro

Myers
    Wandy
    JV
    Happ
    Norris

9. everyday eddie

What do you guys think about Jeff Francis from the Rockies for pitching?

10. eric.81

Not much here, but take it for what it's worth. Low profile, blah, blah, blah... exactly what most of us expect and what most of us think is the right move.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/7280360.html

11. rockets934life

I was skeptical before the Jason Jennings deal but was cautiously optimistic, after that debacle, I am now staying away from any pitcher from Colorado not named Jimenez.

I have a feeling Wade/McLane are going to go through with this Lee at first base junk, sigh. If they do this then I hope they go after a good outfielder, don't expect CC or Werth but nice starting LF.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Benching the young Wallace in favor of the aging Lee at 1st because of Lee's contract sounds like a brilliant idea.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i really hate this idea. i'd like to see wallace at 1B and figure out what we have there.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i agree but I think as long as Lee is on the team, he is going to play somewhere...and Id rather that somewhere be 1B than LF

15. rockets934life

Agree, Caballo is such a horrible handicap on this team. I REALLY REALLY hope he can bounce back this season and at least put up some numbers.

16. MadMax

why? so we can conted for a WS next season?

i'd rather take our lumps and give Wallace as much time to develop as possible.

17. Major

Major Member

Agreed. If Lee can't play LF, put him on the bench. No aging veteran should play in front of a young player that might have some role on this team in the next few years. None at all, for any reasonI don't care if Wallace bats 0.100 with no power, he should stay in the lineup until we determine he's not our 1B of the future. That's the only purpose of these rebuilding seasons.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC Lee played first against lefties, since Wallace struggled against them. If that platoon continues, Lee could be at first every third or fourth day. Not the end of the world.

19. MadMax

except...i want Wallace to hit against lefties. i'd like to know if Wallace is ultimately an everyday 1B or not. we need to know if we need a 1B or if we already have one that is super young and very cheap going forward.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member